Skip to main content

Ben Appreciation Thread

Yay BootsAlice, I don't agree with you, but your post was so good and sensible that I was almost converted.
But not quite.

Ben was definitely a standout in the beginning for being a live wire, entertaining and funny ... almost vaudevillian .. was defs one of my faves.
A bit of bitchiness was no problem and part of the package. Unfortunately, it morphed into nastier stuff; ostracising, ignoring, excluding, two-facedness, encouraging others to do the same and other machinations. Angie copped it, but mainly another HM 'Who Shall Not Be Named.' But I don't want to beat a dead horse ...(no pun int.)
He didn't have to behave like this - his good, fun side would've been enough for the win, and there wouldn't have been any repercussions.

Ben reminds me of one of those cartoon characters with a little angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other, and these two aspects of his personality grapple with each other. I disliked the way he ended up behaving in that house, but concede that he's an interesting demon child. jk

Good luck to the Bensta ... just don't want to see you for a while :)

From a bunch that I didn't really feel much from the start, he was the standout for me. As the season went on, I grew to love him. There were some moments that made me feel quite disappointed in him, but I let my mind think around the nastiness and factor in how he was coping in the house. I did that for all of them, really.

What I saw in him was a funny, energetic, gorgeous man with personality to spare, who knows who he is and was prepared to bare himself to the public for scrutiny. He made no bones about himself and he didn't disappoint, but he was up for talking things out and 'fessing up when he realised how he had been.

I saw something in him change the night that Estelle got 19 nom points, when she broke down in his arms he felt the depth of her distress. He never nominated her again after that, and I believe he was part of the movement to 'get to know Estelle' again. She had isolated herself in the first two weeks with Ryan and never really reconnected with anyone after he left. (There should be a BB rule that disallows hookups in the first two weeks, IMO, it removes credibility.) By that time, Angie was really annoyed with her and her eccentricities were wearing on the nerves... moreso whilst on staples I would think, and the bitching took flight.

I believe that Ben is someone who cares very much for people and will be there to support a friend to the end, but he doesn't suffer fools easily, and while he is happy to talk about issues, he doesn't respond well if he doesn't see any level of commitment to change... or at the very least adaptation to the conditions in the house and with others and will eventually give up trying. I think that's where he was by the Final night.

Anyway, he was my fave, I'm dead chuffed he won, I'm chuffed a gay person has won Big Brother, the engagement was the icing on the cake and I'm actually happy that I voted for him.

He is my second HM to win, Reggie was the first and I would have been happy with either her or Chrissy to win it as well. I wanted a Tim/Vesna finale in 2005 - I recall being totally put off Greg by the 'Awwww' threaders that year, so was gutted at the end. Much like the other HM fans feel this time, I guess.

Over all, I've enjoyed this season, we have had a house full of entertainers, a couple of polarising characters, romance, drama, plenty of laughs, plenty of 'groan' moments, a pretty cool Big Brother and a totally cool dog. I've loved the forum, such a collection of thoughtful, funny posters, most of whom ended up being Ben supporters as well, which was very cool. For me, forums are an integral part of the Big Brother experience so thank you all for sharing your thoughts and passion.

:)

cheers-2381.gif

Great post Boots

I connected with them all at different stages. I really felt for Ben after the water incident, strangely enough. I did look back on this with conflicting thoughts after watching him belittle Estelle at every turn... but I genuinely admired the way he conducted himself around Bradley from that day forward. Class act.

Last edited:
Back