Skip to main content

BBUK 2012 - Pre-season News & Discussion

The fact that they are being hosted in the UK might make an impact but it's not like this is the first time BB has gone up against the Olympics. You also forget that BB usually airs between 9-11 pm and I'm not sure how many events are going to air at that time.

It'll conflict with the opening and closing ceremonies, swimming, athletics, cycling, gymnastics, most of the major indoor team sports' matches (especially those involving the UK team), and many finals in the combat sports. They're going to lose a LOT of viewers during the Olympics.

They haven't got a lot to lose in the first place though. I wouldn't have scheduled it to clash with the Olympics myself, but then again I'd have pretty much taken the complete opposite route to what C5 have done with the show if I'd been in charge anyway.

It'll conflict with the opening and closing ceremonies, swimming, athletics, cycling, gymnastics, most of the major indoor team sports' matches (especially those involving the UK team), and many finals in the combat sports. They're going to lose a LOT of viewers during the Olympics.

Where are you getting this information?

BB went up against the Olympics in 2008 and it didn't seem to affect ratings THAT MUCH. When the games start BB will be heading into the final weeks of the regular series and the launch of CBB 10. If either of the two series are going to suffer it will be CBB. It's also not as if BB gets massive ratings when they aren't in competition with The Olympics.

People in the UK also have opportunities to "catch-up" on BB than people in Australia do, if Olympic scheduling interferes with BB on a particular evening. BB is a great form of alternative programming. The only reason Channel 9 are launching afterwards is because they are the Olympic network in Australia and their scheduled will be dominated with coverage of the games. Also from an advertising perspective advertising BB during the Olympics is the best way to get the word out.

Ratings may dip slightly but it certainly won't be as drastic as you predict.

They haven't got a lot to lose in the first place though. I wouldn't have scheduled it to clash with the Olympics myself, but then again I'd have pretty much taken the complete opposite route to what C5 have done with the show if I'd been in charge anyway.

I agree but it's not as if a significant portion of BB viewers are really interested in the games to begin with or will be glued to coverage 24/7. BBUS has always aired in competition with The Olympics and they seem to be have done just fine and they have less of a lead in as well.

BB went up against the Olympics in 2008 and it didn't seem to affect ratings THAT MUCH.
This is actually the first time though it'll go head to head against live coverage. Back in 2008 the time difference meant evenings were Olympic free (bar the highlights earlier in the evening), while in 2004 Big Brother had finished by the time the Olympics came around. In 2000 it finished on the day of the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney games - again the time difference meant no clash, but the Big Brother final outrated the Opening Ceremony.

The main clash will be against the Opening Ceremony I suspect - whether BB will stick to a Friday night eviction (probably with the usual lame arrival of new HMs in an attempt to fight it off) or move the eviction to another night remains to be seen. I think C5 will generally air BB at 10pm during the Olympics which will be after most flagship events finish.

Ratings will likely be hit, but they're so low now it'll probably be barely noticeable - though might make the difference between them being above 1m and below 1m.

BB went up against the Olympics in 2008 and it didn't seem to affect ratings THAT MUCH. When the games start BB will be heading into the final weeks of the regular series and the launch of CBB 10. If either of the two series are going to suffer it will be CBB. It's also not as if BB gets massive ratings when they aren't in competition with The Olympics.

People in the UK also have opportunities to "catch-up" on BB than people in Australia do, if Olympic scheduling interferes with BB on a particular evening. BB is a great form of alternative programming. The only reason Channel 9 are launching afterwards is because they are the Olympic network in Australia and their scheduled will be dominated with coverage of the games. Also from an advertising perspective advertising BB during the Olympics is the best way to get the word out.

Ratings may dip slightly but it certainly won't be as drastic as you predict.

You are forgetting one key factor....LONDON is hosting the games...pretty sure if you had the chance you would watch olympics over big brother. Mind you the events would be over by the time Big Brother airs so it shouldnt be an issue.

You are forgetting one key factor....LONDON is hosting the games...pretty sure if you had the chance you would watch olympics over big brother. Mind you the events would be over by the time Big Brother airs so it shouldnt be an issue.

The winter Olympics were just in Vancouver... Pretty sure I couldn't really be bothered. There may be some events that overlap but the games shouldn't drastically effect BB's ratings. Most events will be finished by 11... If BB airs at 10pm during that time there will a repeat at 11 on Channel 5+1. The Olympics don't start until the end of July anyways and BB launches at the beginning of June which gives them just under two months to build an audience. The final will be in the first few weeks of August followed by the launch of CBB10, if Channel 5 actually give us a series that is at least mildly interesting I doubt viewers will give up completely watching BB in favor of the games.

The Summer Olympics are generally considerably more popular than the Winter Olympics though.

And what does that have to do with ME watching Olympics held in my home country? In general I have no interest in them. I caught a bit of a repeat of the Beijing opening ceremony and even less of the closing and that was about all of my Olympic viewing.

There is a fairly sizable portion of the country that doesn't give a fuck about the Olympics.

I and most people I know young and old would watch the Olympics especially the opening ceremony over BB which would be recorded for later.

The Summer Olympics are generally considerably more popular than the Winter Olympics though.

I guess that depends on what country you are in to some extent.

There is a fairly sizable portion of the country that doesn't give a fuck about the Olympics.

and a fairly sizable portion of the country don't give a f*ck about BB I would have thought.

Who cares when it is on, most people have a HD recorder or similar don't they.

and a fairly sizable portion of the country don't give a f*ck about BB I would have thought.

Who cares when it is on, most people have a HD recorder or similar don't they.

I guess the two sort of cancel each other out then...

Eliza I'm not sure if PVR recordings count towards BB's overall ratings.

Because you? Totally analagous to the average British viewer.

If you are going to use big words please make sure you spell them correctly.

You also don't have a clue what I know or don't know. Just because I'm Canadian and I live in Canada doesn't mean I'm completely obvious to what goes on in the UK.

I'm pretty sure you're in Australia... Idiot.

Well I'm a massive Olympics fan and was up until a few years ago a massive Big Brother fan. It's impossible to generalise though - some people who wouldn't ordinarily watch will be caught up in the Olympic spirit, while others just couldn't care less.

Well I'm a massive Olympics fan and was up until a few years ago a massive Big Brother fan. It's impossible to generalise though - some people who wouldn't ordinarily watch will be caught up in the Olympic spirit, while others just couldn't care less.

You're right it's harder to generalize and it's not as if the Olympics won't have some sort of impact on BB but I doubt it will be detrimental. I can't see viewers who have watched the show for 8 weeks suddenly ditching it in the final two weeks.

I'm curious if they are still planning on launching CBB the evening after the regular series finishes? To me it would make more sense to wait until after the Olympics are over before they launch that show. This would mean the regular series final would air August 10th and the Celeb series would launch on Monday August 13th (the day after the closing ceremonies).

Last edited:
I guess the two sort of cancel each other out then...

Eliza I'm not sure if PVR recordings count towards BB's overall ratings.

I don't know either, ichi had the ratings gadget in her house for a while she might know.

I don't know either, ichi had the ratings gadget in her house for a while she might know.

In the US they are tracked and released at a later date because after BB9 was a disaster, Grodner bragged that it was one of the most PVR'd shows or something like that but I'm not sure about the UK.

Anyone watching Big Brother live or delayed on C5, C5+1 or a recording of either before 2am that night counts towards the overnight. Anyone watching a recording within the next 7 days counts towards the officials, but at the moment anyone watching via C5's on demand service is not counted in the official ratings, though C5 may (but I don't think they do) report those ratings themselves.

I suspect a similar pattern to last year - 2.5-3m for the launch, 1-1.5m for most highlights, 1.5-2m for the evictions and back to 2.5-3m for the final. The officials and overnights will only differ by 0.1-0.2m at most.

Thats pretty sad rating considering Australian shows can get that on a nightly basis (the 1-1.5m that is) and we can use the Voice for example or even previous big brothers can get those kind of ratings for launch nights/finales.

Back