Skip to main content

BB18 - US 2016

crimmy

Awesome site donor
Big Brother premieres June 22 #BB18

CdxOfAhVIAA-LfS.jpg

Based on what I heard, it could be Big Brother: Second Chance.
Every year it's an All Stars rumour, or this year a "Second Chance" rumour as Survivor did it last year. I do think the time is right actually now for a second All Stars season - they've gone three years without any returnees, something the show needed to do after three out of four seasons featuring some ex-HMs! Also last season was particularly poor - the producers pretty much gave up under the misguided belief the HGs were interesting enough - and they simply weren't.

I don't think any newcomer from BB13 onwards has had the chance to play again, so if they do an All Stars it should be people who've only played the game once and only played since the last All Stars in BB7 (if they didn't make the cut then they don't now!)

What the show needs more than anything is a new house though - even small changes can make things feel new like repositioning the staircase (as BB Canada have) or knocking the odd wall out. They're about the only country to still use the original "camera cross" configuration as the basis for the house - most have long since scrapped that for a more open plan feel. The house should also be part of the game too and the long term configuration doesn't give them any scope for secret rooms that play a part in the game - they've had that spare room by the bathroom for years which they've never really known what to do with.

Last edited:
I'm still surprised no country (to my knowledge) has repeated the twist of the last ever BBUK on C4 which saw the HMs find out live on the launch show they were moving in. I guess it's a logistical nightmare.

I do like the idea of them competing to move in but you do risk losing a good HM before the show even begins. One way they could do it is by making the chosen HMs (so 16, not 30) complete a challenge to earn their key. These would all be daring but completely possible challenges they're unlikely to fail - basically rather than being given a key to the house when they're "surprised" by producers they're given a clue as to where they'll find their key and then upon arrival will have to complete some sort of stunt to retrieve it.

OK, here's how I see it:

20 people (compromise) are in the Big Brother backyard. They'll have a limited amount of food and toilet facilities. Four people will have to be evicted right away, and the decision must be unanimous. They won't be able to enter the Big Brother House until they decide. Two of those four people may return to the game later on as "intruders".

It's just the usual lame pre-season rumours, although the time seems really right for some kind of All Stars.
OK, here's how I see it:

20 people (compromise) are in the Big Brother backyard. They'll have a limited amount of food and toilet facilities. Four people will have to be evicted right away, and the decision must be unanimous. They won't be able to enter the Big Brother House until they decide. Two of those four people may return to the game later on as "intruders".
Could see BB Canada do something like that but not BB USA. I think also that even BBUSA producers realise that a really early eviction is rarely a good idea - they've done it the once in the Coaches season but generally the first evictee gets a couple of weeks in the house.

Although I wasn't a fan of the HGs families playing the HoH at such a crucial point in the season it would be a good twist to do that say the week before the jury - but the winner actually joins the house as a HG.

I do though have very little hope they'll change anything significantly. For me the Veto is long overdue a revamp and I've been saying for years it's become too dominant in the game - it's much more satisfying to see nominees talk their way out of trouble than just win a comp and get saved. Similarly when they just use the backdoor as the primary way to get out targets it gets rather boring too.

Another rumor is that the POV is going to get a major upgrade:

http://getreallol.com/new-bb18-spoiler-emerges-is-the-power-of-veto-getting-another-power/

"As you know, in the game of Big Brother, expect the unexpected. Here’s why. Since the third season, The Power of Veto has been in the Big Brother Game. As you know the Veto holder has the ability to shake up the nominations or keep them the same. If by chance the nominations are changed, it is the HOH’s job to pick the replacement nominee.

But, rumor is that the Power of Veto will be facing an upgrade … A well needed upgrade. Here is how the new Veto will work:

As usual six players will play in the Power of Veto: HOH, two nominees, and three players picked by random draw. Who ever wins the POV has the right to change the nominations. However, the only difference is that the POV not the HOH gets to pick the replacement nominee.

What do you think of this shake up of the Power of Veto? Do you think it’s a good move? Make sure to tune into the premiere of Big Brother 18 Wednesday, June 22 at 8/7c only on CBS"

This could shake up the game.

That''s just a lazy annual rumour but as last year showed BBUSA is now at the stage where lazy rumours become true. The PoV does really need an upgrade to make it more interesting and less predictable - I'd personally go back to the nominees/HoH picking who plays - but with the twist that the replacement nominee only comes from those people. That would make the player much more interesting.

I think it's time to scrap the Have Nots too - the impact of their situation doesn't even really make it to the show apart from the odd slop scene in early weeks so maybe it's time to replace that with another comp. I like the idea of just having a jury of 7 decide each week on the evictee so having a competition which determines who is on that jury each week would be good.

Back