Skip to main content

‘Big Brother: Secrets & Lies’

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
Big Brother 2013 series theme, house details confirmed

Channel 5 has announced details about the house and theme for Big Brother 2013, which has been named ‘Big Brother: Secrets & Lies’.

Information released this afternoon confirms a report in today’s issue of The Daily Express, who claimed that this year’s housemates will be subjected to a series of twists and ‘evil mind games’ in one of the toughest series yet.

The broadcaster’s official blurb reads as follows:

It’s all change when ‘Big Brother’ returns with a brand new theme for this series: ‘Big Brother: Secrets & Lies’. Expect Big Brother to be harder and harsher as the housemates are subjected to countless twists, turns and tough tasks. Suspicion will be rife as the housemates attempt to untangle Big Brother’s web of secrets and lies. How will they separate the fact from the fiction and do they have secrets of their own?

In the ‘Big Brother: Secrets & Lies’ house, it’s all about self-sufficiency and recycling. As the housemates enter through the front doors, they will be greeted by a huge feature wall containing recycled life-size front doors. But what do they signify and what lies behind them?

The sweeping staircase will take them down into an eco-style living space. Although impressive in appearance, this house is not a hotel and provides a tougher environment than ever before.

The new-look house features 27 remote controlled cameras, 12 fixed cameras, five manned cameras and 10 infra-red cameras, as well as a ‘tower cam’ that will provide ‘sweeping views’ of the garden.

Executive produced by Denis O’Connor, Katy Smith and Susy Price, Big Brother: Secrets & Lies is set to launch in the week beginning June 8th.

Read more: http://www.bbspy.co.uk

bb2013_presenters_group.jpg

bb2013_presenters_emma1.jpg

bb2013_presenters_emma2.jpg

BB2013_Emma_Willis_4-683x1024.jpg

bb2013_presenters_emma3.jpg

bb2013_presenters_emma4.jpg

bb2013_presenters_rylan2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the first full-length advert for the upcoming series... It's reminds me a lot of the interrogation adverts Australia used for BB05...

[youtubevid]lJ9sz43lV6w[/youtubevid]

I'm not completely sold on the Eye just yet but it's nice to see them taking a different approach to it than the previous two... Although it wasn't as if I hated those either... It's looks like a decent compromise between the old Eastlock version and the eye under Channel 5...

As for the twist... I'm certainly intrigued by it but I'm really not sure I really want to get my hopes up... No matter what it is, the twist really needs to be supported by a well rounded cast...

Last edited:
All the good work done so far is ruined the minute Marcus's voice ruins what is an otherwise excellent promo. C5 need to realise that he's as much of a problem now with the highlights shows as Brian was with the eviction shows.

All the good work done so far is ruined the minute Marcus's voice ruins what is an otherwise excellent promo. C5 need to realise that he's as much of a problem now with the highlights shows as Brian was with the eviction shows.

Hmmm... I don't really mind him TBH... Although I do think they could ask him to tone down the silly accent and that he doesn't need to blabber on the way he does some times... His voice-over has become a bit overbearing especially since the move to Channel 5... However as I said on BBSpy, it just wouldn't be the same without Marcus and getting rid of him would kind of be like getting rid of the Paul Oakenfold theme... It wouldn't feel like BBUK...

To be honest the theme needs updating too now - and even Paul Oakenfield has said that.

To be honest the theme needs updating too now - and even Paul Oakenfield has said that.

I'd be ok with an updated version but I don't think it needs a complete replacement... As for narration if they are going to get rid of him with the way the show is edited now I really wouldn't see a need for a full replacement... All they'd really need is an announcer for the live shows an the remaining voice-over work could be done by Emma... However I'm not sure the majority of fans would really accept anyone else, as annoying as Marcus is sometimes I still think he's well liked...

as annoying as Marcus is sometimes I still think he's well liked...

I wish he'd just tone it down. He hams it up so much it's almost unbearable. Maybe he does it for his own amusement? ...time to get a new gig if that's the case.

He is just a parody of himself now and if he doesn't realise that the producers should. I've not watched too much of the C5 version but I think they have cut down the stupid "A, B, C, D, E, F and G are in the house" lines, but added bias into his commentary with lines such as "X and Y are bitching about Z in the kitchen" rather than "X and Y are in the kitchen".

The problem I have with the promo is the whole campaign is actually quite subtle - it's about hinting at things without revealing them. And then Marcus comes in and he doesn't do subtle at all. It's the same to with his eviction countdowns - they've always been a big part of the show but have usually been quite understated, and therefore very effective. Marcus's booming voice just doesn't work as well.

He is just a parody of himself now and if he doesn't realise that the producers should. I've not watched too much of the C5 version but I think they have cut down the stupid "A, B, C, D, E, F and G are in the house" lines, but added bias into his commentary with lines such as "X and Y are bitching about Z in the kitchen" rather than "X and Y are in the kitchen".

The problem I have with the promo is the whole campaign is actually quite subtle - it's about hinting at things without revealing them. And then Marcus comes in and he doesn't do subtle at all. It's the same to with his eviction countdowns - they've always been a big part of the show but have usually been quite understated, and therefore very effective. Marcus's booming voice just doesn't work as well.

I've actually done a 180 here... I went back and compared some of his voice work from the C4 era and since the move to Channel 5 it's quite obvious that he's gotten more annoying... Channel 5 seem to be calling all the shots and it looks like they are going for more of a "epic" X Factor feel when it comes to intro's and the narration... Although Peter Dickson seems to have better control over the intensity of his voice and isn't shouting every single word...

As for the countdowns I completely agree with you the countdowns on C4 were way better... I preferred the female voice and despite the countdowns being subtle they had a much more epic and authoritative feel to them... It actually felt like that was the type of voice you'd here in a 1984, Big Brother type of setting... Calm, stern, and yet authoritative vs the Channel 5 countdowns which sound more like they are telling the HM's to just get the fuck out...

I'm still not sure they need to get rid of Marcus altogether though... But just tell him to tone it all down about 50%...

I never understood why they let Marcus do the eviction countdowns at all. It doesn't really make a great deal of sense to me.

I really don't know how I feel regarding the launch night being spread over two 90 minute blocks... I'm also not sold on the idea of the twist having something to do with HM's hiding/guessing secrets... Especially if this is a rehash of how the Aussies did things and given the way the launch is being set up it looks plausible...

Who thinks the producers will keep to their word and deliver on casting a more diverse batch of Housemates similar to those cast during the Channel 4 run?

Who thinks the producers will keep to their word and deliver on casting a more diverse batch of Housemates similar to those cast during the Channel 4 run?

I thought casting was much better last year than the first Channel 5 series, so I do think that this year will be an improvement as well... However I'm really not sure it will be as big of a deal as they are making it out to be...

Everyone keeps making such a big deal out of the clouds lately and TBH I don't see what the big deal is.... It's not as if the Eastlock eye wasn't played out by the end of the Channel 4 run...

as much as Marcus' voice annoys some people. His narrations are so much more to the point than Goldmans will ever be

It seems that Emma Willis will be a small bit like Davina, i think she would be better than Dowling.

It seems that Emma Willis will be a small bit like Davina, i think she would be better than Dowling.

hosting and fashion style

TBH I don't have a problem with Emma being similar to Davina and actually I really hope she is... However there is a fine line between acting as a Davina clone and having a naturally similar style of presenting...

I'm looking for Emma to have the same naturally flowing, easy going, and laid back style that Davina had... Emma obviously looked up to and admired Davina and has a great respect for the role Davina played in BB so I wouldn't mind if Emma used some of her catch phrases either...

I think the biggest difference should be is that Davina will always be "Big Mother" and will always be the ultimate BB presenter... In many ways you never really knew where BB stopped and Davina began... Emma on the other hand is the ultimate BB FAN... I'd like to see her fill a "Big Sister" role taking on a slightly cheekier approach... Kind of like a bratty younger sibling would act but still acting in a way that isn't annoying and professional manner... Sort of like she is doing or reveling things in a way that maybe she shouldn't... Or asking questions of the evicted HM's that Davina wouldn't have but still in the same friendly manner Davina would have... Even the way she talks to the HM's on eviction night could be a lot more laid back without having a full-on conversation... Overall I see her being more of an Ultimate Insider or sibling figure rather than the shows matriarch and that is how she can avoid seeming too much like Davina...

Back