Skip to main content

Post BB Housemate Antics - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get this question a lot and it's never an easy one to answer. A lot of time it's subconscious but mostly it does depend on the language being used because it's easier to form a sentence, in the language you want, from scratch rather than translating into it. So when I'm with friends or at work I'm thinking in English but with the family Spanish. Even then though I always think of my Dad and his side in English and it's common for me to randomly use the odd English word or phrase with my Mum and her side without realising. The only time I think exclusively in one over the other is with numbers which I always see, read, and think of in spanish - why I don't know considering I was taught maths in English.
just goes to show the brain is a wonderful thing - how does it know to deal with numbers strictly in only one of your languages considering you learnt both from birth ... and not as a mixture of the two - both ways you'd understand but its managed to compartmentalise numbers into only ONE and its not even the one you were taught maths in which really has me thinking there must have been steam coming out your ears during maths lessons as your brain was working overtime not only comprehending the maths but translating it as well ...

I like Jade for the most part, but it seems like a cop out to me to blame her spelling on being bilingual. Firstly I don't think you would say that she's "ESL" since she has no problem communicating verbally, but I know people who learnt English in school and beyond who can spell no problem. She has dyslexia and that sucks, that's all it is. But for sure people who call her out on it are total jerks.

She did say her schooling suffered working two jobs as well as school from the age of 14 to help out.
They have all made spelling errors, but not been jumped on or corrected. She does take a beating. Getting an email from someone to tell her so was the last straw and the cause for her tweet.

Last edited:
I just find it ridiculous that people STILL comment about her spelling. Honestly, it's not a new thing. I can only assume that if people still follow her or any other housemate at this point it's because they're interested in them, not their grammar. Surely if it was that big of an issue they could have just clicked unfollow (like Leo's low-short shots did for me). To go to the trouble of sending an email to someone castigating them about their spelling or grammar puts them squarely in the get a life box.

I just find it ridiculous that people STILL comment about her spelling. Honestly, it's not a new thing. I can only assume that if people still follow her or any other housemate at this point it's because they're interested in them, not their grammar. Surely if it was that big of an issue they could have just clicked unfollow (like Leo's low-short shots did for me). To go to the trouble of sending an email to someone castigating them about their spelling or grammar puts them squarely in the get a life box.

Some people are weird.

I don't have dyslexia but I think I must have fingers that move on a keyboard faster than others, so my spelling when typing is terrible! I could easily make as many mistakes as she does. I don't use Twitter, but I got the feeling it doesn't let you edit if you make a mistake either?

Dyslexia is hard, spelling is actuslly not correlated with general intelligence or even with competency in English - although it helps with the latter. It really would be a sore point for someone like Jade because I imagine she has felt really stupid at times and probably others have drawn similar conclusions based solely on her spelling, when it's just not accurate.

It must be frustrating to not be able to communicate effectively, so I feel for her and totally get why she'd feel extra defensive about it if she's been copping flack for it literally her whole life. Admittedly it does make it more difficult for her to make money through social media which is a shame, but there is great earning potential for her as a PT and luckily she is pretty skilled there. And really that's at least a "real" job that everyone understands, so she's better off.

Tully has the 78th highest population in Qld, and has the highest ever annual rainfall in populated area of Australia. It is often considered 'the wettest town' in Australia

Dyslexia is hard, spelling is actuslly not correlated with general intelligence or even with competency in English - although it helps with the latter. It really would be a sore point for someone like Jade because I imagine she has felt really stupid at times and probably others have drawn similar conclusions based solely on her spelling, when it's just not accurate.

It must be frustrating to not be able to communicate effectively, so I feel for her and totally get why she'd feel extra defensive about it if she's been copping flack for it literally her whole life. Admittedly it does make it more difficult for her to make money through social media which is a shame, but there is great earning potential for her as a PT and luckily she is pretty skilled there. And really that's at least a "real" job that everyone understands, so she's better off.

:giggle:

Photos of Tully

Gumboot_Tully.jpg

QC0148%20Tully%20Gorge%20_DSC5502.jpg

tully-sugar-mill.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back