Skip to main content

Why is "playing the game" taboo?

But, you aren't being yourself anyway. You aren't in your natural element. You are placed in front of cameras and told to enteract with people, you may not like. The tasks are set up to stress you. You don't have food. All of it is set up so that you behave in a way you never would outside. So if that is the case, why not go all out for the cash?
I don't think playing the game is a bad thing, as I mentioned in the previous post. I think it's a great thing. I was simply trying to reason why the housemates might think it's a bad thing.
I can imagine that if I was in the house and someone was only friends with me for strategy that I'd be a little hurt - even though I know it's a game and it happens. It's human nature to be a little dirty on someone if they use you simply for their own advantage, no matter how much you reason with yourself.

Everyone is 'playing the game'. They are on a bloody game show. Everyone plays the game in their own way. Ben from last year concocted a fake character with various dubious strategies to communicate to the outside and endear himself to the public as a sympathetic victim. Jade wore bikini tops every day to show her fit and luscious body. The guys that have good bodies spend all day shirtless. Everyone plays the game in their own way utilising what they've got. Some people are just better at it than others.

Excellent thread...

My default position is to be suspicious of those that admit to playing the game and not like them as much. This has made me ask why...

Admitting to playing is somewhat admirable, rather than pretending to be there 100% for fun....
I agree with your post about the strategists being more interesting- I think this is true most of time. They are more likely to make interesting interjections, nominate wisely and bitch about players in the hope of forming alliances/swaying the public....

It is a game after all

I guess it annoys me when housemates are so strategic that they go from human to dollar bills

If you think about it, the public has the same reaction towards "playing the game" as housemates.

For example, there are always discussion whether or not Skye is fake, or whether she's real. Pitting fake as something that is bad and unacceptable, and if she's real then it's all okay.

But by the logic of "well they're ALL playing the game"..... then who gives a fuck if Skye is fake or not? I mean "they're all on a gameshow" so it's acceptable for her to possibly put on a character for the public to see.

Tim strikes me as a rare kind of person with great entertaining abilities; endearing and polarizing qualities; and a strength of character, confidence, strategic capability and self empowerment that enables him to play many different situations any way he wants, for the most part. He walks his own path more strongly than any of the others I've seen, and likes to break the rules (aka a rebel). Somewhat uncontrollable to anyone who tries to, and gets away with it too. Last year to the tune of $250K!
Wow. Thanks.

Bullshit.

Arrrrrgggghhhhh

Ghost of BB past.

images

Tell Alex to give us more episodes.

I think viewers hate when the HM's try and 'fly under the radar' to not get nominated etc, more than getting out there and playing the game. I guess it also depends on their tactics and if they remain loyal to their closest friends and/or alliances while they still can.

"Playing the game" to me doesn't mean you cannot form real relationships or be yourself. BB may have started as a social experiment, but human nature has made it into a competition. They are in that house to win. That being said, you can have a good friend (or lover) in the house and genuinely want the best for them. So you alot your nomination points and manipulate others into allotting theirs to the people you may not like as well or see as threats. Then you try very hard to make sure that you and your friends are not seen as threats and/or very likable. That's not not being yourself. Then when it comes to the end and it's just you and one or two others, the saying "I love you, but I love me more" comes to mind. Then you would rather win than giving it to someone else. It doesn't mean you didn't genuinely care for the others.
Tim for instance was very good at manipulating the other houseguests into feelings for each other they may not have had otherwise. And still maintaining his personality and humour to the voting public. I don't think that wasn't how he is in "real" life. I think he played the game and was himself doing it. I also think that is a very hard thing to do.

Sonya frequently refers to 'the game' and 'playing the game' when she is talking to the house. It is always interesting see how the housemates react and respond.

If you think about it, the public has the same reaction towards "playing the game" as housemates.

For example, there are always discussion whether or not Skye is fake, or whether she's real. Pitting fake as something that is bad and unacceptable, and if she's real then it's all okay.

But by the logic of "well they're ALL playing the game"..... then who gives a fuck if Skye is fake or not? I mean "they're all on a gameshow" so it's acceptable for her to possibly put on a character for the public to see.

Ryan played the 'game player/fake' with Skye

Ryan came hard at Skye with his 'fake' comment and I would have to say his strategy worked quite well. Ryan got airtime and was able to fluster Skye enough to sway some of the public against her.

Skye knew exactly what Ryan was try to accomplish with his 'bubbly people are fake' comment and didn't let him get away with his insinuations unchallenged.

Ryan quote "Like there is such a fake element to this game. Like everyone here’s.. and I think… most the personalities in here, like everyone’s really bubbly and up and like that."

If I went into BB (or any other reality show for that matter), I'd unashamedly be in it to play the game.

Sure, I'd probably feel fondness or attachment to a few people along the way but why take your eye off the prize?

ive only really seen people complain about people playing the game on UK or AU. not many or much at all on US or CA since that is much more of a cutthroat game that lies and backstabbing will likely help you get to the end. US many get praised for running the game, making big moves or how they won. Dan, Will, Derrick, etc. even a lot loved Jon cutting Neda (his closest ally) on BBCA at F3. she would have done the same as well. that was great and i like both. public voting makes things different i guess to some but ive never had a problem with someone playing a game show. i dont think anyone can fake it the whole time anyways. i think some realness comes out plenty.

Back