Skip to main content

Why is a lack of intelligence viewed so negatively?

Tahan

BB13 Housemate
Soooo, a thread that's a little bit more on the serious said than the usual that seems to be on this board.

It's a topic I've been constantly thinking for maybe the past few weeks, and something I've certainly come to realise while watching this seasons Big Brother.

That there seems to be such a negative and condescending view, towards those who have a below average lack of intelligence, ala, Skye and Travis.

But why? It's never occurred to me to dislike someone based on the level of their intelligence. Of course, it's irrational to dislike someone on the basis of their job, where they live, the colour of their hair, or their ethnicity. Most people would agree that a rational reason to dislike someone are their actions, and the morality of the person. But apparently whether or not someone can spell is on the list too?

And no, I'm not including those who dislike them because their actions are annoying, I'm specifically talking about those who's first reaction to say something negative about someone is "they're so stupid". Like, why does that need to be mentioned, when saying something negative about someone?

I have a pretty strong view on this, so not really looking to be swayed, but it's an issue that's been slowly grating at me ever since I've started watching this season of Big Brother, and would love a discussion on it.

I don't dislike Travis for his lack of intelligence. I dislike him for being a rude, attention-seeking narcissist.

I doubt most people would rule out not liking someone because they are dumb. I like Skye, I don't like Travis. It has nothing to do with their "ditzy-ness" for me.

It is probably people not warming to housemates who pretend to be clever as an affectation. The same way I cannot deal with people who "play" dum.

It is just like anything else eg I often hear people say they dislike someone for being boring, quiet, reserved etc, and that isn't fair, but it happens - I remember Tahan throwing those types of insults around last year.

People have preferences for qualities they like and dislike in others. Everyone is different and there are always going to be people who dislike you for no other reason that that they cant relate to you.

However I personally think everyone is intelligent in their own unique way eg some people who aren't 'book smart' are excellent socially, or they are highly innovative, or they are very driven, and these things make them clever in my eyes.

Soooo, a thread that's a little bit more on the serious said than the usual that seems to be on this board.

It's a topic I've been constantly thinking for maybe the past few weeks, and something I've certainly come to realise while watching this seasons Big Brother.

That there seems to be such a negative and condescending view, towards those who have a below average lack of intelligence, ala, Skye and Travis.

But why? It's never occurred to me to dislike someone based on the level of their intelligence. Of course, it's irrational to dislike someone on the basis of their job, where they live, the colour of their hair, or their ethnicity. Most people would agree that a rational reason to dislike someone are their actions, and the morality of the person. But apparently whether or not someone can spell is on the list too?

And no, I'm not including those who dislike them because their actions are annoying, I'm specifically talking about those who's first reaction to say something negative about someone is "they're so stupid". Like, why does that need to be mentioned, when saying something negative about someone?

I have a pretty strong view on this, so not really looking to be swayed, but it's an issue that's been slowly grating at me ever since I've started watching this season of Big Brother, and would love a discussion on it.

The issue is,Travis and Skye and even Aisha have been "shown" (as far as promo's and edits go) to be the absolute dimwits of the house, where as Priya (also by those marketing the show this year) has been touted as being the "most intelligent". Awesome example re Travis, Aisha and Priya was the "grammar lessons" in the Hotel challenge as that was supposedly Priya's special talent to share with the hotel guests. Good example as to Skye was the focus on her not knowing the KG element in the shop when HOH.

However like it or not, these people have signed on the dotted line to be shown as the producers see fit. It's manipulation central.

The only one who's (IMO) the genuine idiot, is Lawson.

Back