Skip to main content

What Was Your Favourite BBAU Season?

What was your favourite BBAU Season?

• Total voters

Hooden

Just Being Miley
Awesome site donor
Thought it could be interesting for us to see where we sit on this question compared to others.

I've chosen 2006 because to me, that is Big Brother. I was too young to remember anything before BB05, however I've since gone back and watched a lot of it and recall a lot of the hype around the show at the time. I think by 2006, Big Brother had solidified it's format, had the perfect man to voice the character, the most brilliant host, great coverage by Network 10 across a whole heap of shows, and my personal favourite; the opening titles that were colour coded (for the simple among us who were watching, wondering what day it was).

I know a lot of these aspects had been used in previous seasons but I think they utilised it all really well in this season.

Also Jamie's wang.

thoughts?

I don't really have a favourite season. They all have their good and bad parts. Whilst I like the hm's this year, the lack of air time is appalling. Last year was much the same. I don't like being drip fed sanitised information, I like to see it for myself on live streaming and make up my own mind about the hm's. So probably Pre-Channel 9 were better seasons IMO.

Chose 2006 as it was my first proper season, great characters, good format and interesting for most of the time, but my favs were 2006, 2005 and 2013 :)

I get the feeling that OP is suffering from rose-coloured glasses effect.

I've chosen 2006 because to me, that is Big Brother. I was too young to remember anything before BB05, however I've since gone back and watched a lot of it and recall a lot of the hype around the show at the time. I think by 2006, Big Brother had solidified it's format, had the perfect man to voice the character, the most brilliant host, great coverage by Network 10 across a whole heap of shows, and my personal favourite; the opening titles that were colour coded (for the simple among us who were watching, wondering what day it was).

2005 had all this, and to be frank -- contained more entertainment in this one scene than BB06 did in the entire season.

2001-2005 is definitely BBAU at it's finest, and in its finest form.

I don't have time right now to repeat the usual stuff I've previously said about all the original seasons of Big Brother but these five seasons is what made BB in this country so great. It's sad that we have shifted so very very far from that now.

I get the feeling that OP is suffering from rose-coloured glasses effect.

I wouldn't call it rose-coloured glasses, I think it was more of a case of being too young to know the rights and wrongs of the producers. I was naive to the format and not a great idea of what to expect.

2005 had all this, and to be frank -- contained more entertainment in this one scene than BB06 did in the entire season.

I agree with this (and said it in the original post), however I've been re-watching parts of both the 2005 and 2006 seasons and the main formatting (like transitioning between scenes, editing, ect.) wasn't quite on the mark in 2005 as it was in 2006.

The main thing that, IMO, made the 2006 season was the casting. Everyone worked really well together (maybe not including John and Ashley), and it made the show a representation of what Big Brother should be - people living in a house, enjoying most of it, hating some of it, creating conflict and entertainment.

2001-2005 is definitely BBAU at it's finest, and in its finest form.

I don't have time right now to repeat the usual stuff I've previously said about all the original seasons of Big Brother but these five seasons is what made BB in this country so great. It's sad that we have shifted so very very far from that now.

So what, for you, changed in 2006?

I wouldn't call it rose-coloured glasses, I think it was more of a case of being too young to know the rights and wrongs of the producers. I was naive to the format and not a great idea of what to expect.

I agree with this (and said it in the original post), however I've been re-watching parts of both the 2005 and 2006 seasons and the main formatting (like transitioning between scenes, editing, ect.) wasn't quite on the mark in 2005 as it was in 2006.

The main thing that, IMO, made the 2006 season was the casting. Everyone worked really well together (maybe not including John and Ashley), and it made the show a representation of what Big Brother should be - people living in a house, enjoying most of it, hating some of it, creating conflict and entertainment.

So what, for you, changed in 2006?
The Turkey Slap was the beginning of the end of BB in Australia and it marked the moment that the media (and a larger audience) started to go anti-BB.

By no fault of BB's, this caused a domino effect that in some way or another effected every season of BB here since. It hasn't ever recovered imo.

The Turkey Slap was the beginning of the end of BB in Australia and it marked the moment that the media (and a larger audience) started to go anti-BB.

By no fault of BB's, this caused a domino effect that in some way or another effected every season of BB here since. It hasn't ever recovered imo.
Oh yeah, 100%. Particularly the attitudes towards the show.
But like you said, it wasn't BB's doing, and I don't really let that incident reflect how I felt about that season.

Sudden ugre to organise burning at the stake for John and Ashley.

Why do you think the first one never attracted that sort of reaction?

I think you're always going to see your first season of a show as "pure", and every season before and after as substandard because it's not the show you fell in love with. That's okay, it happens to everyone.

CGI capabilities for an Australian production studio was a lot different between those two years. Not to mention 2005 was the first year they tried the 3D CGI & cuboid format, so ofc it wasn't going to be perfect.

That's the issue with '06 though. There wasn't the same entertainment. It was so heavy on the JamKat, Gaelan/Krystal and (to a lesser extent) Dani/Dino showmances that a lot of other stuff got buried. Camilla caused the most arguments and half her scenes she was in the bedroom sobbing to Rob/David. Once Michael was evicted, there was no really interesting story driver.

And the casting in '06 was pretty poor imo. Sure, there were a few very strong characters. But Lauren, Darren, Chris, Jade and Elise are some of the most forgettable housemates ever (Ash and John would be on that list too if not for the incident that made them infamous).

Sorry to sound rude, but your description as it being "a representation of what Big Brother should be" is laughable, unless if you'd feel the same way about last year's show if Tim was evicted in Week 4 and we had a final five of Matt (Chris), Nathan (Max), Tully (Camilla), Drew (heterosexual David) and Caleb (Jamie)[DOUBLEPOST=1411463397][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why do you think the first one never attracted that sort of reaction?
The first turkey slap had no video evidence to prove it happened.

I think you're always going to see your first season of a show as "pure", and every season before and after as substandard because it's not the show you fell in love with. That's okay, it happens to everyone.

CGI capabilities for an Australian production studio was a lot different between those two years. Not to mention 2005 was the first year they tried the 3D CGI & cuboid format, so ofc it wasn't going to be perfect.

That's the issue with '06 though. There wasn't the same entertainment. It was so heavy on the JamKat, Gaelan/Krystal and (to a lesser extent) Dani/Dino showmances that a lot of other stuff got buried. Camilla caused the most arguments and half her scenes she was in the bedroom sobbing to Rob/David. Once Michael was evicted, there was no really interesting story driver.

And the casting in '06 was pretty poor imo. Sure, there were a few very strong characters. But Lauren, Darren, Chris, Jade and Elise are some of the most forgettable housemates ever (Ash and John would be on that list too if not for the incident that made them infamous).

Sorry to sound rude, but your description as it being "a representation of what Big Brother should be" is laughable, unless if you'd feel the same way about last year's show if Tim was evicted in Week 4 and we had a final five of Matt (Chris), Nathan (Max), Tully (Camilla), Drew (heterosexual David) and Caleb (Jamie)[DOUBLEPOST=1411463397][/DOUBLEPOST]
The first turkey slap had no video evidence to prove it happened.

There wasn't a live stream at the time that someone saw? They showed the punishment and aftermath and everything on the daily show, which I thought was weird.

Back