Skip to main content

What next for Australian Survivor?

Brekkie

Staff member
Well I think we all agree something needs to change, and probably agree not much will either.

Hopefully this season is just a dud - it happens in long running reality shows where every few seasons you just get one that doesn't fire. The next one certainly needs to be all newbies, and certainly needs to scrap the same format points at the same points in every series. I doubt they'll reduce the episode count so kind of accept there has to be a couple of non-elimination episodes, but there are other things they could do and a non-elimination doesn't need to mean a fake elimination.

Maybe a season without a theme is what they need but as I've said before I think "City v Country" could be interesting - office types and gym bunnies versus those who've worked the great outdoors all their lives. I'd also rather they stick with the original tribes a bit longer rather than shake them up completely at tribe swap.

The end game is a problem too. It should get more exciting as you get close to a winner but I think even with a good cast it can drag.

Don't come at me, but I think a new host is required.

IMO: Jonathan should have mentioned the 2nd idol was stolen when Mark played it.

And I just think give him a break for a bit. I wouldn't mind Luke Toki as host.

I was/am a massive fan of the KOTJ, and found him incredibly exciting to watch, I think his stint as a host on Talking Tribal proves that TV Host / commentator Luke Toki is not.
Another run on survivor as a contestant? sure!

JLP is great imo.

I agree that I think it’s time for a complete civilian series.

Don't come at me, but I think a new host is required.

IMO: Jonathan should have mentioned the 2nd idol was stolen when Mark played it.

And I just think give him a break for a bit. I wouldn't mind Luke Toki as host.
Maybe we can do a host swap Probst for Jonathan?

I was/am a massive fan of the KOTJ, and found him incredibly exciting to watch, I think his stint as a host on Talking Tribal proves that TV Host / commentator Luke Toki is not.
Another run on survivor as a contestant? sure!

JLP is great imo.

I agree that I think it’s time for a complete civilian series.

JLP is a actor, so he is going to be OK at hosting gigs.

Luke at least knows what to expect being on survivor himself.

I know with Luke, we are not going to have a polished speaker.

I just love Survivor and enjoy all seasons, even this terrible season was passable in my books. There are plenty of things I would like to see improved in the format but I feel like the producers don’t give a shit what we think (if ratings are low, they will switch the cast up next time to appeal to their interpretation of what the audience craves). This is in contrast to Jeff that is going over the top taking everyone’s feedback with the result the show gets drawn in 10 different directions, trying to please every comment.

I think they will do a very good job next time of getting a mix of brawny blokes, a few hot babes, token POC, nerd and some ex footy player or two.Same episode lengths, number of episodes and twists, maybe back in Fiji. That’s what I think will happen.

Now the US have kind of used the Aussie structure as the basis to cut their series down from 39 days to 26 days without cutting the number of episodes, I wonder actually whether Australia might be better off using the 50 or so filming days to film two shorter series rather than one, so around 13-16 episodes with 16-18 contestants - and crucially no non-elimination episodes.

They will never have a decent season again until they fix the editing. Season 4 was an absolute fluke that all the entertaining characters made it to the post merge and delivered. When you only focus on 3-4 people in the post merge and leave everyone else underedited it's always going to be underwhelming at best and terrible when everyone is super boring as was the cast for this latest season.

Not Aussie related but hot on the news of a potential Big Brother revival there are reports today that Survivor may return to the UK after 20 years.

It flopped for us first time out and only got two series. The US vesion has never actually been shown here and hasn't even found it's way to streaming services, though the Aussie and South African versions are available through Amazon Prime now. This looks like it's destined for the BBC so I doubt the prize will be more than £100k, but also it's not the first report of Survivor being revived here. Usually it ends up being a different but similar show like The Island or The Bridge.

…I think that they should get complete strangers that have no skills whatsoever… no intelligence whatsoever… no sense of survival… no personality whatsoever… no ‘influencers’ (get a real job)… make it so they are virtually like cavemen going into the ‘jungle’… have animals running around so that they can ‘shoot’ them with a lazer gun or spear or arrow that registers as a ‘kill’ (no animals actually get killed of course)… just like in video games… when it registers a ‘kill’ they get repaid with real meat etc… make them earn it…

…if they just stand around gawking at each other like gormless idiots for too long… get the cameraman to prod them with electrified cattle prods to spring them into action… hide the idols way at the top of a tree where they have to climb 50 to 100 feet / metres high so that there’s a risk of falling out of the tree…

…have dangerous animals lurking around that may potentially kill them so that when they see them that they might actually kack their duds (shit themselves)… have dangerous booby traps that take off their fing…ers… ⬅️🤭😵🥴 erm… methinks that I’m getting a tad bit carried away here…. um… sorry!… I’ll go now… erm… carry on… cheers.

( 👀 )
( 👃 )
\👅/
🎀

Last edited:
Not Aussie related but hot on the news of a potential Big Brother revival there are reports today that Survivor may return to the UK after 20 years.

It flopped for us first time out and only got two series. The US vesion has never actually been shown here and hasn't even found it's way to streaming services, though the Aussie and South African versions are available through Amazon Prime now. This looks like it's destined for the BBC so I doubt the prize will be more than £100k, but also it's not the first report of Survivor being revived here. Usually it ends up being a different but similar show like The Island or The Bridge.
Could be quite interesting. I suspect the first season will be a bit of a joke strategically because they won't have a clue what they are doing, but if the UK keeps up it's strong history of character based editing on reality shows I could see it being very popular potentially if it
's done right.

Back