Skip to main content

What have I missed?

brandonthud75

Avid BB Watcher
I've only started watching Big Brother since 2012 (Since it started on Channel 9)
I've seen many comments every now and then saying that "10 were the better days" and "Friday Night Live!" What exactly have I missed? Everyone keeps saying that it was better with Gretel and on Channel 10 until 2008 and all that...
Please fill me in.

I might watch all of 2008 on YouTube. Anyone know if there's a certain channel that has the WHOLE series, of at least 80% of it on YouTube?

2008 was definitely not the best season! Kyle and Jackie O were definitely a contributing factor in the decline but it was nowhere near as good as the earlier seasons regardless.

There is actually a book written just after the first series, that gives you a pretty good insight into BB.
Available on Amazon, with preview bits you can read
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bother-Reality-Become-Phenomenon/dp/0702233153

Big Bother: Why Did That Reality TV Show Become Such a Phenomenon? Paperback – March 1, 2002
by Toni Johnson-Woods (Author)
download.jpg
Big Brother is watching you, but who is watching Big Brother, and why?
Big Bother answers these questions and more in this in-depth analysis of the Big Brother phenomenon. Not just a behind-the-scenes look at Australia's groundbreaking first series, this book is also a valuable companion for subsequent series.
Senior Research Fellow at University of Queensland, inaugural President of Popular Culture Association of Australasia
The author used to join in discussions on another forum back then.

There is actually a book written just after the first series, that gives you a pretty good insight into BB.
Available on Amazon, with preview bits you can read
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bother-Reality-Become-Phenomenon/dp/0702233153

Big Bother: Why Did That Reality TV Show Become Such a Phenomenon? Paperback – March 1, 2002
by Toni Johnson-Woods (Author)
View attachment 43277
Big Brother is watching you, but who is watching Big Brother, and why?
Big Bother answers these questions and more in this in-depth analysis of the Big Brother phenomenon. Not just a behind-the-scenes look at Australia's groundbreaking first series, this book is also a valuable companion for subsequent series.
Senior Research Fellow at University of Queensland, inaugural President of Popular Culture Association of Australasia
The author used to join in discussions on another forum back then.
I fucking need this.

@brandonthud75

He's being serious. :p Do NOT watch BB08 as your first Channel 10 season. Anything from 2001-2007 (but preferably any season between BB03-BB05), even just a Launch show, and you will immediately know the answer to your question. You will just KNOW.

I've only started watching Big Brother since 2012 (Since it started on Channel 9)
I've seen many comments every now and then saying that "10 were the better days" and "Friday Night Live!" What exactly have I missed? Everyone keeps saying that it was better with Gretel and on Channel 10 until 2008 and all that...
Please fill me in.
I think someone like @John would be able to help you.

Please fill me in.

YOU HAVE MISSED EVERYTHING!

:jawdrop:

I fucking need this.

It is a good read @the Theorist , and she revised it after a couple of series.
She was quite active on Ozupdaters, and the book has input from fans/viewers/forum posters.
Gives an interesting perspective on the different BBs around the world, and some behind the scenes stuff.
Check your library.

Back