Skip to main content

What do you do to celebrate your Birthday in your family?

How do you celebrate your birthday with your family?

• We do nothing

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Coffee and birthday cake at someone's house

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I host a dinner at my home and pay

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • We go out for dinner and I pay

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • We go out for dinner and everyone pay's for themselves and I get a free meal

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • We go out for dinner and everyone pay's for themselves

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bbfan87

Just wondering what you all do to celebrate your birthday with your immediate families?

I am having a discussion with my husband and we both have differing views.

My family have been
celebrating birthdays one way since I could remember. The birthday person shouts everyone for dinner, whether they choose to host it at home or at a cafe or restaurant. Before I got married, my parents paid.

My husbands family, go out to a restaurant or cafe and everyone pays for themselves. Or if they have Pizza at home or Thai, everyone chips in.

How do you do it?

I think everyone is different… Depends on how you were raised.

My family, we normally go out for dinner and have cake at home. Or host a dinner at home with cake. We have bigger celebrations for milestones though. My parents don't like being fussed over, so their birthdays are always quiet. My siblings are the same. I guess I'm the birthday diva in the house. I like to celebrate with my friends as well.

But in saying that, normally if we go out for friends birthday, everyone chips in and pays for the birthday person too.

Reactions: Jam
My family takes the birthday celebrant out to dinner. They pay for their own dinners and chip in for the birthday person. They have ever done this for me. Hence, birthdays are dark days for me.

For me it varies. My birthday is in the middle of January and sometimes I'm on holidays and sometimes I'm working. Usually though I go out for dinner with a few friends. We all pay for ourselves unless it's a birthday with a zero. At some stage I dine with my parents either at their place or they shout me lunch or dinner. A couple of years ago I worked night shift the night before which I wasn't happy about. This coming birthday (a Monday) I am working a day shift and will have a dinner after work. On the Saturday before I am going out for dinner with a friend which I am looking forward too immensely. The last party I had was for my 50th and that was both happy and sad. My favourite and adored cousin had died six months earlier and I missed him.

Nothing, Im the one who does stuff for everyone else, but no one does anything for me.... yep I am now resentful

Birthdays are not a big thing in my family. I do acknowledge my children's birthdays and they acknowledge mine, but the rest of my family generally don't think about it. One year I lost track and thought I was a year older than I actually was, so I got to be 37 all over again. That was a bonus.

Oh and there had better be cake this time around. A birthday Monte Carlo biscuit with a candle in it, while delightful, just isn't the same. I'll take a cake to work.

It depends on the birthday and whose as to their personal importance of the day.

If we all happen to be together though, we might go out for dinner or something but it is not set in stone.

Last year as example, my eldest was not even in the same country as we are. She did however have a nice dinner out with her friends to celebrate her 21s and I really enjoyed guilting her over that as our b'days are only a day apart.:thumbsup: Does that count?

Back