Skip to main content

What could a BB revival learn from Australian Survivor?

Brekkie

Staff member
Quite a lot actually.

Survivor just took the original format and on the whole remained faithful to it. They trusted the format to deliver and believed the fans would stick with it. Yes, they threw in a couple of questionable twists but these were early in the game and never appeared to be an attempt by producers to fix things in favour of certain contestants. Indeed when arguably the show did need fixing (with Vavau losing challenge after challenge) they just let it play out rather than intervened.

The lesson is quite simple. If you're going to make Big Brother then make Big Brother. Don't just make a show under the Big Brother name.

Quite a lot actually.

Survivor just took the original format and on the whole remained faithful to it. They trusted the format to deliver and believed the fans would stick with it. Yes, they threw in a couple of questionable twists but these were early in the game and never appeared to be an attempt by producers to fix things in favour of certain contestants. Indeed when arguably the show did need fixing (with Vavau losing challenge after challenge) they just let it play out rather than intervened.

The lesson is quite simple. If you're going to make Big Brother then make Big Brother. Don't just make a show under the Big Brother name.

...what a brilliant post Brekkie and so bloody true!... I've said on so many occasions before now that the slop that Channel 9 served up to us as 'Big Brother' could easily have been called 'Complete Nobodies in a House for a Few Months' rather than 'Big Brother' because what they served up was just a hollow and bastardised 'Family' version of a once great show as far as I'm concerned... the original version of Big Brother was made for ADULTS... not weeney-boppers... as Channel 9 ALWAYS do with any show of theirs... as they did with their rather sad attempt of Big Brother... they completely ruined a once great show by making it a 'kiddies' show... because they like to try and brainwash us all by calling themselves the 'family Channel'... (family Channel my arse!)...

...once Channel 9 lose the rights to the show (surely they must have by now) Channel 10 need to snap it up and put it on again as only they can do... in it's original and best form as they did all of those years ago to restore it back to (as I just said) all of it's former glory yet again as only Channel 10 can ever do...

...as much as I was grateful that Channel 9 had brought back Big Brother (let's face it... any Australian version again would've made us happy)... but having seen what they did to their version just disheartened me so much... I mean... Sonia Kruger was like a 'Thunderbird's Lady Penelope' puppet with the strings attached and just mouthing the words that they fed to her as just one instance... she lacked any experience and real emotions of her own didn't she?... at least Emma in the BBUK version of Big Brother has some of her own emotions thrown in for good measure doesn't she?...

...Channel 9 chopped and changed the starting and finishing times (or didn't even bother to air at at all from memory on a couple of occasions) and treated it as a throwaway piece of shit just as they are doing with US Survivor this year... Channel 9 don't deserve a show like Big Brother... Channel 10 does!... I'm just hoping that we hear an announcement from Channel 10 sometime soon in the near future that Big Brother is in their line-up of shows next year (I'd even settle for the year after... it'll encourage me to live that long at least to see their version lol!)... we can only live in hope I guess eh?... again Brekkie... a great post and a good thread to start up my friend... cheers.

Sonia Kruger was like a 'Thunderbird's Lady Penelope' puppet with the strings attached and just mouthing the words that they fed to her as just one instance... she lacked any experience and real emotions of her own didn't she?
BAHAHAHA that is so spot on! And I totally agree with @Brekkie 's sentiments.

But who would make a good host if it were to return? Hypothetically ofc...

...what a brilliant post Brekkie and so bloody true!... I've said on so many occasions before now that the slop that Channel 9 served up to us as 'Big Brother' could easily have been called 'Complete Nobodies in a House for a Few Months' rather than 'Big Brother' because what they served up was just a hollow and bastardised 'Family' version of a once great show as far as I'm concerned... the original version of Big Brother was made for ADULTS... not weeney-boppers... as Channel 9 ALWAYS do with any show of theirs... as they did with their rather sad attempt of Big Brother... they completely ruined a once great show by making it a 'kiddies' show... because they like to try and brainwash us all by calling themselves the 'family Channel'... (family Channel my arse!)...

...once Channel 9 lose the rights to the show (surely they must have by now) Channel 10 need to snap it up and put it on again as only they can do... in it's original and best form as they did all of those years ago to restore it back to (as I just said) all of it's former glory yet again as only Channel 10 can ever do...

...as much as I was grateful that Channel 9 had brought back Big Brother (let's face it... any Australian version again would've made us happy)... but having seen what they did to their version just disheartened me so much... I mean... Sonia Kruger was like a 'Thunderbird's Lady Penelope' puppet with the strings attached and just mouthing the words that they fed to her as just one instance... she lacked any experience and real emotions of her own didn't she?... at least Emma in the BBUK version of Big Brother has some of her own emotions thrown in for good measure doesn't she?...

...Channel 9 chopped and changed the starting and finishing times (or didn't even bother to air at at all from memory on a couple of occasions) and treated it as a throwaway piece of shit just as they are doing with US Survivor this year... Channel 9 don't deserve a show like Big Brother... Channel 10 does!... I'm just hoping that we hear an announcement from Channel 10 sometime soon in the near future that Big Brother is in their line-up of shows next year (I'd even settle for the year after... it'll encourage me to live that long at least to see their version lol!)... we can only live in hope I guess eh?... again Brekkie... a great post and a good thread to start up my friend... cheers.
white-up-pointing-index.png
this

Kate long pants
...anagrams aren't your forte are they? :D

But seriously, any suggestions for a - preferably Channel Ten - host for a BB reboot?

I actually think Kate Langbroek could be quite good and funny at it.

Richard Morecroft is probably 80 now and besides he's ABC (I know you weren't serious @reepbot )

But seriously, any suggestions for a - preferably Channel Ten - host for a BB reboot?

Richard Morecroft is probably 80 now and besides he's ABC (I know you weren't serious @reepbot )

Langbroek is afrikaans for Long pants...if you translate anything from afrikaans directly to english it sounds really weird

But i was serious.

And he's 60.

I actually think there is probably a lot of good options for hosts out there - the Channel 10 stable tends to take themselves less seriously that Nine and Seven. Maybe Amanda Keller - she is smart, witty and self deprecating. Sam Pang - also smart, quick witted and humble. Jessica Rowe - smart with integrity but has a sense of humour. I am literally just looking at the tenplay page and naming people I see. Hell, even Grant Denyer would be better than Sonia. That being said, no one on Nine would be a better choice than Sonia. As in they are all horrible

I actually think there is probably a lot of good options for hosts out there - the Channel 10 stable tends to take themselves less seriously that Nine and Seven. Maybe Amanda Keller - she is smart, witty and self deprecating. Sam Pang - also smart, quick witted and humble. Jessica Rowe - smart with integrity but has a sense of humour. I am literally just looking at the tenplay page and naming people I see. Hell, even Grant Denyer would be better than Sonia. That being said, no one on Nine would be a better choice than Sonia. As in they are all horrible

Amanda Keller seems like a reasonable second choice if they can't get Richard 'the lionheart' Morecroft to host Big Brother.

Kitty Flanagan for my money. :)
OMG imagine that lol.

So yes, one thing a BBAU revival could learn from AU Survivor is selecting a great host. LaPags took a few eps to settle in but he turned out great.

Jennie Brockie, and make it properly a social experiment.
And she can host forums discussing our/people's observations watching.
And the psychology of groups and stuff, and analyse HMs and bullies.
This would also give it credibility and stop all the whinging about disgusting BB.

And - I would quite like to see developed a survivor inside, BB with tribes.
Not how USA/Canada do it, much more tribal houses competing

Back