Skip to main content

Ways to improve this year's Big Brother

Lucas

Hey guys

Now that the auditions are open and they are looking for a wider group of housemates this year and the budget is slightly bigger. What would you like to see this year? Anything you liked last year and want again this time round? or things you disliked and pray to god that it won't happen again? List them down here. Feel free to comment on everyone's suggestions but please don't fight. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no suggestion is too silly! :)

Some of my suggestions:

• Please try to not cast housemates from acting/modelling agencies. We want everyday people. Not someone trying to make it in showbusiness.
  • Please no Surly this year : Fish or otherwise. Please don't treat the average Big Brother viewer as children.
  • No Channel 9 gimmicks (but you may not be able to help it). Please don't do 80s crossovers etc.
  • More shocking twists. Please have twists that never have been done before. Outsmart the housemates. Try and trick the viewers as well.
  • Nothing staged. Please don't make housemates force to talk about issues and what not at "late night feasts" and so on. we want Big Brother to be authentic as possible. They should only talk about that issues by their own accord.
  • Sonia Kruger is a good host but some more social experiment questions should be asked/talked about when doing interviews with housemates.
  • Big Brother evictions return to Sunday nights.
  • Big Brother evictions to be event worthy. Evictions used to be the most exciting thing about Big Brother back in the day with Gretel. It was Event TV. Please try and get some of the magic back. Maybe look at past eviction episodes on YouTube?
  • Big Brother on six days a week. Sunday-Friday. We cannot survive with a weekend blackout. :-(
  • Big Brother to have a stable schedule all series round. Last year was so confusing with "Showdown" for three weeks on a Saturday night then gone, "Late Night Feast" for five weeks on Tuesday nights then gone and then "Evictions" moved from Monday to Wednesday night half way in the season. :(:confused:
  • Have a weekly "Adults Only" program. "Late Night Feast" last year got us info on a little bit of the adult side of the housemates but it was completely staged and a party every week gets boring. Please return to a "Big Brother Confidential" clips of the week type show but completely with adult content. Ideally I would love Sonia Kruger or Mike Goldman to be in a studio hosting this show. Oh and get rid of the blurry bits in the shower!! :p *shifty eyes* What? some of the male housemates are cute.

That's all I can think about at the moment to improve this year's BB. But most importantly I want BB on six days a week and a "Adults Only" program to see the adult aspect of the housemates. Which helps give a clear picture of who a housemate is.

Sorry if I sound like I am complaining - I did like last year's Big Brother and there were many improvements from the 2012 series. I just really like and believe in this show and think the above ideas could help. :)

Now... what are your ideas? :D

WOW, [MENTION=31001]Lucas.S[/MENTION], great suggestions :)

no favouritism by BB, in edits, or by the host. even the 'live updates started to get personal, nasty, and biased

livestream, you asked

tasks with a purpose, had no idea if a task was on, or even still going this year, and for what?

BB needs to be more intimidating, and rules should be respected. if not, there should be punishment. gets to a stage where the HM's are running the show, and BB is just as relevant as Surly

and i want to hear a conversation, that would be nice :rolleyes:

i hate the family friendly version with a passion, it shouldn't be aimed at children. put the show on later if that is a problem

Last edited:
In the 2012 season the Sunday night evictions could only go for an hour because channel Nine did not want to move 60 minutes, at least in the 2013 series we got a longer eviction episode. I do not mind if the evictions are on Mondays as long as we get a Saturday or Sunday daily show.

I thought it was better with out sunday evictions.

Late night feast was fine, but we saw so little of it.

Number one thing they need is web streaming. Possibly also some web exclusive content that is more than a 30 second clip. Even have extended scenes, edited stuff. An extended or adults on daily show online.

Adults only would be good.

No opening night stunt like splitting the house. I want a BB that messes with people but the problem with things like splitting from day one is we as viewers are trying to figure out who these people are. It'd be better to have everyone in the same situation for this. It's also allow friendships and groups to form more naturally.

Don't put pyschopaths in the house again.

No staggered house mates. Just put people in day one. Don't drag it out over a few days or weeks.

Don't put intruders in for the sake of it. Who come in to stretch the series out and then go the first chance they have. Only put them in if it's thought out and will cause a shift.

Don't put in peoples, 'dream guy' or 'dream girl' and drum up a fake romance.

We've had some good intruders in the last few seasons but the good ones, generally should have been in from the beginning.

If need be put in more house mates at the beginning.

Maybe even have a break from evictions if you want to drag it out.

As was mentioned with surly, no. Just no. At least the first year they did it, they had a fish. If you don't have the fish, you have to give up on the bit. It's fundamentally flawed otherwise. Instead of people speaking to a speaker and then getting the graphics department to draw up a wish.

No secret missions or rewards randomly handed out. If you do it, it has to be earned in some way to avoid favoritism or the appearance of it.

I think there were way to many housemates in the house last year. I think there should only be 14 max original housemates. The success of the show however all relies on the casting. They need to find people who Australia will love and love to hate.

Sunday evictions.

No bias editing (so don't overfocus on certain people).

Only 14 housemates at the start. This year had too many, so we couldn't get to know all of them before they were getting evicted. A lot of people on this forum said they couldn't remember much from the first four evictees last year (Sharon, Rohan, Xavier, Jasmin) and that was because they were hardly featured before being evicted. Yet, almost everyone can remember Charne, Ryan, Sarah and Ray from the yea before, as there were less housemates to start with.

Try and make evictions live in most areas, or as close as possible. Like they did for the finale. Reality TV creates a huge social media buzz, and people want to engage with social media during reality shows, but don't like having the results spoiled by social media.
It could start at 8pm in VIC/TAS/NSW, 7:30pm in SA and 7pm in QLD. That makes it live in all those areas. WA could have it at 6:30, which would minimise the gap to 90mins, down from a 3 hour gap last year. Nine could easily slot in repeats of The Big Bang Theory to make up the state differences.
It probably won't happen, but if sports can be broadcast live in all areas and still rate well, why can't reality shows?

Give Goon his own 30min Special show of Behind Big Brother with all the goss of behind the series including behind the scenes of the House, the Shows.

A real ratings show I promise :)

I don't think it matters what day the evictions are but they definately need a consistent schedule across the series - it was a mess last year.

Would like to see Late Night Feast return in some form - as contrived as it was last year it was still a good watch and I think I'd prefer one hour focused on one event than an hour chopping and changing across the week to show us everytime HMs said a rude word or talked about sex.

I'm a little bit concerned. Nine has hour long news now so I don't think there will be a Friday show.
I wouldn't be surprised to see 90mins Mon-Thurs and that's it. So for that reason I hope they have some kind of Sunday show and maybe even a half hour show on Saturday. Even if that was confidential.

Sunday evictions.
It could start at 8pm in VIC/TAS/NSW, 7:30pm in SA and 7pm in QLD. That makes it live in all those areas. WA could have it at 6:30, which would minimise the gap to 90mins, down from a 3 hour gap last year. Nine could easily slot in repeats of The Big Bang Theory to make up the state differences.
It probably won't happen, but if sports can be broadcast live in all areas and still rate well, why can't reality shows?

I wouldn't mind this personally, however nine want this to be a family friendly show. That would be too late in the two largest markets.

Stop focusing on housemates who are embarrassing themselves on national television (i.e. Jade) to milk sympathy/empathy from the half-wit gullible voters who'll keep them in there just 'cos they relate to the boring dolts on some level, sucking the fun out of the show in the process and turning it into a poor man's version of 'The Bachelor'.

They need to tweak the way BB operates. I always hated the super strict BB, however the friends with the house mate, funny BB is too much the opposite direction.

They also need to be a bit more consistent on enforcing some fundamental rules. It was ridiculous that last year one house mate was able to contact the outer world by having part of their man baby act that they talked to a picture of their mother.

Also, honesty about who the house mates are. We all find out the truth anyway, so just be up front. Don't put in media personalities and pretend they are uni bums etc.

The house was better in the 2012 series than the 2013. This mainly was because they felt the need to be different but didn't want to do a lot of work. So they did stuff for the sake of it. I know you want a uniqueness in appearance, but the pool / spa set up was way better the year before. The way they changed it was for the sake of it. Also, more personality to the rooms. Everyone liked the old style kitchen. No one noticed or commented at all about the plain and boring kitchen from the last year.

I think they need to stop forcing situations. Like mentioned above, the fake romances, forced topic conversations, using sully to create a situation- all that needs to stop. The big one for me that needs to change is the one dimensional character showing of hm's.

Like you, insider06, I think there were far too many hm's last year. The intruders were so late this year and that sucked because I really think boog would have benefitted coming in the house a little earlier.

Last years Intruders were a last minute thing. Things go changed cause the wall came down before it was gonna come down and the season, it got extended.

They had to do something, so Intruders went in.

Different years are different strictness of Big Brother. This year it will be different again.

Give Goon his own 30min Special show of Behind Big Brother with all the goss of behind the series including behind the scenes of the House, the Shows.

A real ratings show I promise :)

Haha! :p The "Goon" show. That special would be cool. I suppose you are not going to reveal your identity for the show? We will just hear your voice like the great BB himself.

The following quoted because I agree:
Web streaming

Don't put pyschopaths in the house again.

No staggered house mates. Just put people in day one. Don't drag it out over a few days or weeks.

Don't put intruders in for the sake of it. Who come in to stretch the series out and then go the first chance they have. Only put them in if it's thought out and will cause a shift.

Don't put in peoples, 'dream guy' or 'dream girl' and drum up a fake romance.

No secret missions or rewards randomly handed out. If you do it, it has to be earned in some way to avoid favoritism or the appearance of it.

I agree with all of these suggestions and to add to the intruders one: Maybe Big Brother can let both intruders stay for more than three days. Justynn was gone in a flash and if Nathan did not decide to leave we would have never got to know Madeline either. I think what would be better is if they have a intruder live eviction a week after the intruders arrive based on the public's vote (but by voting SMS/Facebook not the jump in app way like last year where voting was only open 24 hrs and all we had was the "intruders invade" special to go by on their personalities). Perhaps the normal eviction could be cancelled for the original housemates that week so Sonia does not have to do a extra show and it also extends the series for Another week. Regarding Nominations for that week that show could just be replaced with a 90 minute "intruders: first 24 hrs" special with Sonia. She could chat live with the intruders in the diary room about how they are going, first impressions and so on.

Another thing : can nominations please be live again? It feels like a pre recorded show. Well it is pre recorded! The LIVE feeling gives nominations a bit of a boost. And can we please have evicted HM's on the nominations show as well for a quick chat? It was great when Gretel could interview them 24 hours later after their departure and they had more of a idea about how they were perceived outside the house and they won't be on their "high" of just being evicted. Wouldn't we all have liked to see Tully interviewed the next night to react to the coverage she got about her relationship with Drew?

They need to tweak the way BB operates. I always hated the super strict BB, however the friends with the house mate, funny BB is too much the opposite direction.

Also, honesty about who the house mates are. We all find out the truth anyway, so just be up front. Don't put in media personalities and pretend they are uni bums etc.

Yep!
We want Big Brother to be authentic. Look at the group of housemates from series 1-3 most of them were being themselves and had no media experience/desire for fame at all. We want every day people who just want to give the show a shot and be themselves :)

I think they need to stop forcing situations. Like mentioned above, the fake romances, forced topic conversations, using sully to create a situation.

I also thought of another suggestion:
Can BB please keep viewers in the loop with everything that is going in the house (even on the weekend) on the website instead of being told on twitter to watch the show "Monday @ 7.00pm". In the past we would get detailed blogs about events in the house and not have to wait for a daily show 24 hrs later... It did not hurt BB's ratings back then. The blogs probably generated interest and made people make sure they tuned in to watch the next night to see what happened.

Last year there was a rumour of Justynn getting kicked out for a fight but all weekend we did not get confirmation of anything. We were just told to watch on Monday. Turns out all they had was a normal intruder eviction on Friday morning and did not want to spoil who left. Live evictions for intruders would help solve this problem. We want to be in the loop. :)

Long post! Sorry guys. :p

I'm a little bit concerned. Nine has hour long news now so I don't think there will be a Friday show.
I wouldn't be surprised to see 90mins Mon-Thurs and that's it. So for that reason I hope they have some kind of Sunday show and maybe even a half hour show on Saturday. Even if that was confidential.
If that did happen they'd need to have evictions on Thursdays, with the remaining shows then covering two days each and noms on Mon or Tue. Ideally a show back on Sundays would help to cover Fri/Sat, then noms Mon and you could probably have just hour long shows on Tue/Wed. If BB will start at 7.30pm now that's hopefully the end of the 90 minute shows every night.

I want them to drop having 3 HM on final night, it makes the final go so long.
And we don't get enough time with the winner

No stupid fish, real or fake. It makes the Hm look like fools, talking to a fish.

BB needs to stick to his guns, and keep the housemates in line. No breaking of rules, moms talk, making contact with the outside world.

Make the tasks a bigger part of the weekly viewing, last year it seemed like they only lasted for three days.

Make Noms live again, and no stupid chamber. I'm sure they can hear what's being said, or are reading lips.
And don't make the super power a big deal, when it isn't really. Half of the time, they don't use the power to its full advantage

everybodys commenting on how to make the 3 day intruder visit/eviction better, but i honestly think the only way is to not fucking even attempt it ever again.
it was poorly thought out, poorly timed and poorly handled when everything went wrong. just chuck 2 people in the house. dont make them fight for the spot, just make sure theyre people who are gonna mix it up in there. why nathan and madeline were ever chosen to go in is still beyond me. well, ok madeline was hot i guess, but nathan was as interesting as a sack of potatos and couldnt even handle it (gold star to the psych who cleared him).

I gave up on last season...it fell apart too much for me when there were too many housemates to start off with. And the favouritism...don't get me started.

Things I'd like to see happen:

. Steady Schedule (as already noted)
. Nominations in the diary room and live (make an event for it! It's a chance for everyone to be themselves and express their true feelings without feeling watched)
. No nomination super-power
. A BB that cracks the whip every now and then...and doesn't put words into HMs mouths.
. No gimmicks (as in Surly-esque type things)
. If there is going to be a twist, implement it after a week if it affects the whole house, if its a secret type thing for one or two people then I think its fine to introduce on opening. (like a mole for example)
. Make the housemates work for their food and privileges...it's too easy for them.

I have probably got plenty more but am too tired to think of anymore.

Back