Skip to main content

***Tsunami warning and earthquakes: New Zealand***

pecan

Awesome site donor
Sorry, I don't want to over-react, but I thought it was better to warn in case anyone had friends/family there. There was a 7.9 earthquake under sea off the south island, which has triggered waves at 2.5m, east coast regions are being evacuated.

There's no warning in place for Australia:

http://www.bom.gov.au/tsunami/national.shtml

My sister and her family lives in New Zealand,havent heard if they are okay due to the time difference

I hope your sister and her family are ok Lindsay, and that you hear from them soon. How close are they to Christchurch and the east coast?

They've scaled back the warning now from land to just marine.

http://www.news.com.au/world/pacifi...e/news-story/4d1ef7a566fd188923233fa5206431af
http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/tsunami-warning-issued-new-zealand
117.JPG
They are okay,they are up there in the yellow section...family needed a map because we needed some perspective.Tracy said its like driving from JHB to Cape town

Good to hear Lindsay. I had a similar first reaction with family in Melbourne. The first stories weren't clear how broad the warning was, if it was just NZ. It was a very anxious 10 minutes or so trying to find out.

Last edited:
I'm an Aussie so earthquakes are not really regular around here, I remember the Newcastle Earthquake, I've felt the shake a few times, but realistically, it is unlikely to happen in Queensland. I was in San Francisco last year and on the edge of the plate in South America a few ago (ie. where Earthquakes happen) and there were signs in hotels/public bathrooms etc. on what to do in the event of an Earthquake. Besides that, I've watched what to do plenty of times on TV/movies etc.. I sort of assumed this was they case everywhere on the "Ring of Fire" ie. including New Zealand. Out of interest - do New Zealanders/visitors to NZ "know" what to do in the event of an Earthquake? Like are there signs around/public education? I assumed it was like Queenslanders/visitors to QLD in the event of Cyclone/Flood. Do New Zealanders keep a bit of an "emergency pack" around in case of Earthquakes? Like with canned food/torches/fresh water etc.? Like the cyclone/flood packs people in Australia are told to do?

I'm an Aussie so earthquakes are not really regular around here, I remember the Newcastle Earthquake, I've felt the shake a few times, but realistically, it is unlikely to happen in Queensland. I was in San Francisco last year and on the edge of the plate in South America a few ago (ie. where Earthquakes happen) and there were signs in hotels/public bathrooms etc. on what to do in the event of an Earthquake. Besides that, I've watched what to do plenty of times on TV/movies etc.. I sort of assumed this was they case everywhere on the "Ring of Fire" ie. including New Zealand. Out of interest - do New Zealanders/visitors to NZ "know" what to do in the event of an Earthquake? Like are there signs around/public education? I assumed it was like Queenslanders/visitors to QLD in the event of Cyclone/Flood. Do New Zealanders keep a bit of an "emergency pack" around in case of Earthquakes? Like with canned food/torches/fresh water etc.? Like the cyclone/flood packs people in Australia are told to do?
I grew up in Auckland where earthquakes don't hit often but even we were taught at primary school what to do in an Earthquake so I would imagine it is even more so close to the faultline. I think from memory there are often civil.defence signs near beaches telling people what will happen if there is a tsunami warning.

I grew up in Auckland where earthquakes don't hit often but even we were taught at primary school what to do in an Earthquake so I would imagine it is even more so close to the faultline. I think from memory there are often civil.defence signs near beaches telling people what will happen if there is a tsunami warning.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing those signs near beaches in Bali and Thailand.

I remember that! I grew up in Hawke's Bay, and we had "earthquake drills" as well. The teacher would tell us at the start of the day we would have one at some time that day, and explained what to do... and then a couple of hours she would shout "EARTHQUAKE!" and we'd all have to duck under our desks.

Used to keep an emergency kit in the house with half a dozen 1.25L bottles of water, torch and batteries and a portable radio, too ...right up until I left NZ in 1996. They used to say you could drink the cistern water from your loo in an emergency - and even though it's clean water it'd have to be a big emergency for me to go there!

Back