Skip to main content

The Weather Thread

I am over the rain.

If we don't get some sun to dry our clothes ASAP, our family will be doubling as a nudist colony.

Nobody needs to see that.

Free thyself from drudge !

I am over the rain.

If we don't get some sun to dry our clothes ASAP, our family will be doubling as a nudist colony.

Nobody needs to see that.

Use your dryer ! Tis all we ever do !

Oh, and for those who want to "waa" on about the use of electricimty, I've got one of those portable smartmeter things living on the powerpoint that services our 7.5kg front loader "one hose supply heat the water to the required temp and spin dry faster than a jumbo jet jet engine" washing machine and the separate auto sensing dryer.

It has been monitoring the power use of those two things for the last couple of weeks and shall continue to do so for the next couple of weeks.

So far, mid way through its 28 day period of monitoring use, it says that the cost of doing ALL our washing and drying for the year will be just $48 dollars.

Yup, less than the price of a slab of Coronas. Even if by the end of the sample period it turns out to be double that, BFW, eh ?

So, WTF would you want to waste your own time and effort hanging out, bringing back in, and ironing washing when you can just take it straight out of the labour saving device that washes it, and straight into another labour saving device that dries it, and then straight into the drawers or wardrobe with no need to turn on an iron and all for under $50 a year ? :confused::rolleyes::)

It costs me MORE to run my XBOX360 and associated screen and accompanying notebook computer a year !

Don't believe me ? Then get thee one of the following (I think it is the same make as mine but the pic is different ... maybe a new model as I got mine over a year ago), plug in how much you get charged per KW for power, plug in what you want to monitor, and do thee some REAL SCIENCE and get thyself properly informed and with that knowledge of power, get thyself Free and let thy appliances do the good labour saving work they were designed to do !

See: http://www.coolmob.org/sites/default/files/images/PoweMateLite.pdf

regarDS

meh, nothing beats the smell and feel of sundried clothes.

anyway, it appears nsw is under deluge, especially north/north west. both major highways are cut, as well as two of the four train lines.

crazy.

I agree with Megan and Mia, I love the smell of clothes fresh off the line. I've never owned a drier, I'm not against them, I just never got around to buying one and wont bother now. I have a couple of clothes racks I use when there is a run of bad weather.

No rain here in SA and I am hoping there are not too many scorchers in the next day or two as my less than 12 month old ducted refrigerated air-conditioner decided to sh*t itself. It's flashing the error message CH 12. Anyway the not very helpful or friendly LG service centre gave me a number to ring tomorrow for a repair person, pretty sure they are going to be booked out until next week.

yea in perth it was sucky today, we ate outside but it felt like you were sitting in a steamy bathroom. i was sweating just sitting down and it was dark.. :(

You're mad, all of you. :)

I hate the crinckle stiffness that results from sun dried clothes.

Just checked my meter and with 10 days 20 hours to go, the cost PER YEAR of washing all of my washing (me, a grubby boaty renovator shift worker) and LSCP's washing (she, a school teacher of physical type things, namely dance, GIRL, which means lots more to wash than bogan old male me) AND all our bedclothes/linen/towels etc etc, AND dry it all in a dryer, is, wait for it:

$35 a year.

That's right.

$35 a year.

That's $35 a year to wash all our stuff in hotwater (cold water heated to "kill bugs" temp by the smart washing machine ... which cost us around $530 from Harvey Norman) and then go to the massive effort/single leg squat of lifting it up from that and into a smart dryer that sits on top of it that cost around $400 or less (I can't remember now), which is at the perfect height to then take the stuff to the robe to hang/chuck in baskets awaiting next use.

$35 a year in power costs. That's it.

... but you lot continue to serve your machines rather than let them serve you, and trudge in and out with washing, pegging it up, worry about dust, pollution, and The Weather, then pulling it all down, trudging inside with it, setting up the ironing board and iron, and moaning about pressing it etc etc, all the while losing HOURS of your day that you could have used to play skyrim with or whatever.

And I'll just continue to shake my head and laugh at you. :D

regarDS

Eliza, have you tried turning off the 'circuit' switch for the airconditioner, leave it off for a couple of minutes before switching it on, followed by your airconditioner. Hope it works for you:)

(-: I win ... Again. :)

id pay someone $35 to throw you in a dryer

My how quickly resentful left-ards revert to type (ie, violence) when their chosen idiotic stances and ideologies, yet again, get shown to be, uh, idiotic as well as Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. :p:D:p:D:p:D

Irony Plus that my chosen way is shown to be the more energy AND time efficient one than those who are so resistant to the labour saving device called "an electric clothes dryer" and who are also so enslaved to a labour creating and energy wasting device call "an iron".

Yup, Irony++ eben !

Disclaimer: No totems to the Green Religion (Windmills) were harmed by my posting of this post ... other than that which they do to themselves. Shame that the same could not be said about the harm inflicted upon raptors and bats by those totems to the Green Religion though.

regarDS

A bit overcast in Warwick today. No rain, no humidity and a maximum of 26. Just lovely. Our farmers are frustrated though. The big wet has been to the north, south, east and west of us. This was the only area to miss out. They need rain for their crops.

It was so muggy here this morning that when I got out of the air conditioning in the car, my sunnies misted up.

I love having a clothes drier, but it isn't linked to an exhaust so sometimes I don't want to use it because of the warm damp air coming from it. Also, I think it knocks a lot of the clothes around - and makes the socks and undies stretch, so I don't like using it for everything.

Eliza, have you tried turning off the 'circuit' switch for the airconditioner, leave it off for a couple of minutes before switching it on, followed by your airconditioner. Hope it works for you:)

Thanks Daltrim, tried that with no joy it came back on flashing CH 12 :( I guess if this is the biggest drama I have in my life that really life is not too bad :eek::)

It's only going to be 28 deg C here today, which isn't too bad, 30 tomorrow which I can live with.

Last edited:
It was so muggy here this morning that when I got out of the air conditioning in the car, my sunnies misted up.

I love having a clothes drier, but it isn't linked to an exhaust so sometimes I don't want to use it because of the warm damp air coming from it. Also, I think it knocks a lot of the clothes around - and makes the socks and undies stretch, so I don't like using it for everything.

Yes I get why people like having a drier, I have a friend with 4 small children, it would be very handy for her. My friend has her drier in the garage so the fluff and heat that come from it don't make a mess or heat her home up.

I love my clothes drier. It's awesome and very very handy.

I'm having major deja vue with this rain though, mum is once again flooded into her property and cut off from the town, and can't get here for her husband's eye appointment. EXACTLY the circumstances last time lol, except this time he was meant to be getting the surgery done.

It's stopped raining here at the moment. But it is muggy as all hell.

I love the dryer in winter time (especially for towels and socks / undies) but I wouldn't use it all the time because it trashes your clothes and not everything is suitable for the dryer.

I'm a close line person and I also love the smell. It doesn't take much time to hang out the clothes and since I'm in a high set house if it rains I just leave them down there.

Too easy ders. :)

Back