Skip to main content

The Traitors AU

The UK version has just premiered and I'm really impressed with the format and the casting. Looks really promising.

Worth noting as well the format won a prestigious Rose D'or award at the weekend for Best Reality/Factual Format.
I am curious to see how the UK version plays out. They amped up the stakes and ruthlessness from the start so it could get intense. It is interesting that in the past these cutthroat gameplay formats did not work for British audiences, but now the BBC has both The Traitors and Survivor on their roster. Hopefully there is more appetite for these sort of programmes in 2022-2023.

I still prefer The Mole (when done right), but The Traitors is a fun and entertaining format with a lot of potential. The UK version has better production values so far. The challenge was still boring, but at least more aesthetically pleasing and edited better.

Was the Aussie version this good? We're six episodes in and three of them have already given us some of the best moments in British reality TV history - and for once all about the game and playing the game too rather than the usual nonsense we got on BB about everyone being on a gameshow denying they were playing a game. Perhaps that is why it works so well because essentially the format is about denying you're playing the other contestants.

Was the Aussie version this good? We're six episodes in and three of them have already given us some of the best moments in British reality TV history - and for once all about the game and playing the game too rather than the usual nonsense we got on BB about everyone being on a gameshow denying they were playing a game. Perhaps that is why it works so well because essentially the format is about denying you're playing the other contestants.
The Aussie version (which is all I've seen) was my favourite reality show of the year.

I might give it a watch if it is released over here after. The US version is being filled with ex-reality stars so it pretty much dead on arrival. It is the casting of real people which has made this for me and I'm going to enjoy it whilst it remains that way because I've no doubt Celebrity Traitors will be around the corner in the UK too.

Why are they crying, if they are accused of being a traitor etc. The crying is doing my head in. :rolleyes:🤣:laugh:

Yes, a bit ridiculous considering it's all a game. But that is why it is working - it's going beyond just a game. There is little more frustrating in life than people not believing you're innocent of something you're being accused of.

10 probably feeling quite smug about getting this now as had they held out until after the BBC version had aired I suspect the rights value would have gone up and Seven and Nine would likely be more interested in it too. Indeed it might be it's success outside of Australia which tips the balance in favour of it being renewed

Have made a start on the Aussie version now - a bit tricky off the back of the excellent UK edition but three eps in it's enjoyable enough. The round table really is the hero of this format.

Have bashed through this in a few days - all quite enjoyable. So well cast and happy with the winner, though just like Survivor it's a winner who didn't even seem to get any airtime until just before they made her a traitor. As for Paul - he only seemed to get a line in his exit episode. Overall though this shows you can cast likeable people and let the game take centre stage rather than deliberately casting nasty people to be "villains" and drive the plot.

Format wise it's largely the same as the UK, though with slight tweaks with three traitors out of a cast of 22. The Shield was slightly different too in that it only protected from murder and was awarded at random to a member of a winning team and then kept secret, which effectively meant the whole team were safe from murder. And our endgame started one round earlier with the final banishment at five rather than four.

Ultimately the show probably didn't need the extra recruitment at the final six stage - that swung it a bit too much but I get that producers don't want to lose all the traitors before the final. I think though had Alex gone they could have had her recruit someone posthumously to ensure a traitor in the final ep.

Production wise it didn't quite stack up to the UK version. A rundown hotel isn't beating a Scottish Castle in setting the atmosphere, they spent too much time on the Challenges, which on the whole were good but made boring by an overlong edit. They did seem to correct it mid-series but early on it was a mistake not to show any reaction to the banishments in between them leaving the Round Table and going to bed - for me that's a key moment of the day. The flashbacks needed a bit more info on why the victim was chosen too, and I think they needed more than a shortlist of two as the cliffhanger each day. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

Interesting here that the possibility of a Share/Steal "prisonners dilemma" is on the table if there are two traitors left. That's often a lazy device producers use when they can't think of their own end game but it works here. Only flaw I think at the end is if the Faithful are outnumbered there is no way out of it for them - not quite sure how it would work but needs a mechanism at final 3 for the last remaining faithful to be able to accuse both the others of being traitors.

Overall the British version was better, but BBC clearly had more money to invest in production. Hopefully the international success will encourage 10 to commit to a season 2 renewal.

Also some kind soul translated all 8 episodes of the first Dutch season and uploaded it to YouTube with English subtitles. If you search for De Verraders subtitles it should come up easily.

Trailer for the US version - not keen on the recycled reality stars but the format should shine through. Unsurprisingly considering the were filmed in the same place they recycle the UK tasks, which does mean at least one shot may be somewhat of a spoiler.

Last edited:
Trailer for the US version - not keen on the recycled reality stars but the format should sign through. Unsurprisingly considering the were filmed in the same place they recycle the UK tasks, which does mean at least one shot may be somewhat of a spoiler.

Well, that explains why the production values on the British version were far superior to the Australian since a lot of the overhead costs were split between the UK and US series. It would have been nice to see a more unique US take, but I watch this series for the characters and drama opposed to the challenges anyway.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after watching it, but I do not mind the reality stars. I just wonder how a lot of them knowing each other beforehand affects the game. Cirie, Rachel and Stephanie had just filmed an episode of the terribly boring series Snake in the Grass prior to this which has a similar premise of identifying the traitor/saboteur but in a standalone episode.

Overall the British version was better, but BBC clearly had more money to invest in production. Hopefully the international success will encourage 10 to commit to a season 2 renewal.
Just watched the first ep (and first bit of E2). The novelty has worn off for me, so I won't be watching more, even if it returns to AU. UK one, I thought the garish clashing titles on screen were ugly, and the pop song covers out of place. Also strange they weren't even staying in the castle the show revolved around. Just strange choices that AU did better IMO.

Can't do it. It's all stupid challenges and strat chat. It's like they asked themselves "what are the two things about reality TV timmy hates most?" and made a show focused entirely on them*. I prefer The Bridge because they're at least doing something constructive.

*OK I say that but I may still watch Survivor AU

Back