Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

…I don’t know if anyone else ever did this but every Christmas when we got new toys as little kids on Christmas day my mum and dad used to make us have a ‘clean up’ on New Years Day… especially mum… she told us to throw out some of our old toys to make room for the new ones… I used to hate that day because it was always hard for us to decide which ones to let go lol!…

…sometimes I’d hide some and would pick some of the most shittiest ones and then slowly reintroduce them when we had chosen… (we had a certain limit to just how many toys we could have so as to stop too much accumulation for storage reasons)… when you think of it… it’s a good idea but I just hated New Years Day as a kid but as an adult when I became an alcohol drinker in my teens I grew to love New Years Day again lol!… how your perceptions change eh?… lol!… cheers.

…when I was about 11-12 years old and was in the poor area of the East end of London in the early 60’s… my parents were so poor that they couldn’t afford Christmas decorations… so they used to make the best of the situation and make it a family fun time to make ‘paper chain’ decorations… that is:… anything that could be cut into different coloured strips of paper that could be looped into each other to make ‘chains’ of decorations… like these…

View attachment 62028View attachment 62029View attachment 62030View attachment 62031View attachment 62032View attachment 62033

…I remember that my mum would be cutting the strips of paper… my brother and sister would each take turns to put some glue or paste onto the strip and I (because I was the oldest) would be responsible for looping them together until we had the complete chain lol!… sometimes we let my brother and sister have a go but they were terrible at it… (they got so much glue on themselves that they couldn’t form the loops)… lol!… but to us kids it was a great fun time because we really didn’t realise that we were poor at the time… we just accepted our lifestyle as being just ‘normal’ (god bless our innocence and ignorance)… jeez they were great times!… Merry Christmas everyone… cheers.

…ha!… when we used to take down these paper chains and decorations on New Years Day we always used to love tearing them down from the ceiling and scattering the chains all over the floor to create a big mess lol!… (my brother and I always used to try and completely tie my sister up with the chains until she couldn’t move lol!)… mum always got the shits big time because they were pinned to the ceiling with drawing pins so when I used to pull them down (my brother and sister weren’t tall enough to reach them) the drawing pins used to be scattered around all over the floor which of course was quite dangerous…

…but being a dumb arsed little git that I was at the time I didn’t quite think it out lol!… so quite often someone would of course step on one… I used to think that it was hilarious until I stepped on a couple over the years… but still… I still did it year after year because I was still a dumb arsed little git… then one year dad stepped on a stray drawing pin… so it never happened again because obviously I was the prime subject for causing it… I couldn’t blame it on anyone else lol!… aw man!… we created such a mess… poor mum lol!… cheers.

…me as a kid on new years day when I was about 10 years old:… “aw!… we’ve gotta wait how long until Christmas day?”…

…me now as a 70 year old pensioner on new years day:… WHOOSH!… “what’s that?…. what do you mean… it’s Christmas day again?”…

…that’s how it feels nowadays lol!… am I getting old or something?… cheers.

When I was little I was fascinated by roller towels in public toilets. I mean, how does the dirty wet towel come back out all clean and dry like that? I thought it was some kind of voodoo magic :D
420049822_10232833468758363_108598021568119435_n.jpg

…in the ‘…AI ART… a fun game using words to create pictures… no artistic talent required…’ thread just now I posted this…

…during the mid 60’s… early 70’s… the talk of possible personal jet packs in the near future had me wishing that I could have my own personal one so I could easily get around and fly everywhere… besides… it would really impress the young chicky babes… it would be my chick magnet lol!… I would’ve flown it in a second… without my heart skipping a beat!…

…now?… I’d be thinking… “just how much it would cost to run that bloody thing?”… and… once I got to where I wanted… where would I put it?… I wouldn’t want to have to lug it around on my back all day… what if it runs out of fuel when you’re so high in the air?… how would I be able to walk through normal doorways with that on my back with the ‘wings’ sticking out?… would I get phone reception being up that high if it rings?… what if I urgently have to go to the toilet while up that high?… these are all moot questions because… now… I know that I would be too gutless to even fly one if I now had one lol!… way back then?… I was bulletproof… I would have done it for sure lol!… oh my… I how much life changes lol!… cheers.

…haha!… while the moon race was on and because of the ‘Apollo’ missions to the moon and there was so much talk in the media about having your own personalised jet packs and ‘George Jetson’ type cars within 10 years… it was easy to be sucked in to the hype… being at that age I was filled with a sense and wonder… now as of today… flying cars are becoming a reality… personalised jet packs?… who really wants one?… and… why the hell has it taken so long to get real valid flying cars?… all that time wasted!… just imagine how far advanced we’d be now if it happened way back then?… the mind boggles… cheers.

…over on the ‘I’m a Celebrity’ thread Georgie Parkers name was mentioned… every time that I hear the name of ‘Parker’ I immediately think of Parker who is the butler of Lady Penelope on ‘The Thunderbirds’…

IMG_3267.jpeg

…I loved that show as a kid… and I remember my dad telling us a typical ‘dad joke’ about Parker the butler… it’s probably not because of the actual joke itself but in the way our dad used to tell it that used to make us laugh so hard… our dad was so very good at mimicking people… he had a natural talent for it… even though he had a very strong Manchester accent… when he was mimicking people there was not a hint of it…

…when he told this joke he sounded exactly like Parker… and when he spoke Lady Penelope’s part he put on a feminine voice for her too lol!… to hear our dad do such a perfect female voice that sounded exactly like Lady Penelope was the funniest part of the joke to us… because his voice was usually so deep and ‘boomy’ it was hilarious whenever he told the joke… …we were always asking him to tell the joke just so we could hear his Lady Penelope accent lol!… anyway… the joke itself was quite funny in its day and perhaps not so relevant and as funny today but as kids?… it was as funny as hell… it’s probably my favourite ‘dads joke’ out of the hundred thousand jokes that he ever told us to this day lol!… here is the joke…

Lady Penelope:… “Parker!… can you come to my bedroom please?”…

Parker:… “Yes m’lady”…

Lady Penelope:… “Parker… could you take off my jacket please?”… (she says in her usual sexy and seductive tone)…

Lady Penelope:… “Parker… could you undo the buttons of my blouse and take it off please?”…

Lady Penelope:… “Parker… can you unzip my skirt and take it off please?”…

Lady Penelope:… “Parker… can you take my slip off please?”…

Lady Penelope:… “Parker… can you… um……….. can you………… unhook my brassiere and take it off please?”…

Lady Penelope:… “and finally……………….. can you take my frilly knickers off please?”…

Lady Penelope:… “and Parker”…

Lady Penelope:… “if I ever see you wearing my clothes again I will dismiss you from my employment!… is that understood?”

…not the funniest joke in the world but funny because of the way my dad telling Lady Penelope’s part in a prefect female accent lol!… pure gold for me anyway… its such a good memory!… I sure miss my dad’s sense of humour… whenever he told me his ‘dad’s jokes’ I used to roll my eyes and pretend that I wasn’t listening lol!… (but now I’m telling them lol!)… but not to that one… we always laughed openly lol!… mum would always say… “I’ve heard that joke thousands of times!”… lol!… geez I miss them both… cheers.

Back