Skip to main content

The Lies (we know about)

Brekkie

Staff member
No Voice Stress Analysis required. I'm sure this isn't the final list.

1 - World First Pairs. Not a world first - done twice by the US (for first month of series), by Celebrity Big Brother UK this year (and as a twist in BB7) and I'm sure by others too. Greece had HMs playing with their mothers - when they were evicted their mother was too, so that IMO is a pair!

2 - Meal Shakes for a week. We saw Priya and Katie choose this live on Tuesday night, and then on the Sunday show the HMs had a banquet (presumably taking place on Friday or Saturday) and the following day food was returned. At absolute most they had 3 1/2 days of meal shakes.

3 - "The Biggest Task in BB Australia history". Yeah, right! BB1 had bigger tasks than this, and in monetary terms I'm sure the old "Mastercard" challenges with Gretel in the house came close.

4 - Wearing the money belts at all times. Haven't seen Priya or Katie wearing them since they were dethroned as Heads of House.

5 - Viewers pick the HoH every week This is what the HMs were told earlier in the week. Already this rule is broken and the power is given to a former winner who just so happens to be a Channel 9 employee and could easily be influenced by producers.

6 - Tim & Jake. Just because you're not telling us they live together doesn't mean you're not lying. It seems the editing in tonights show made it clear you were trying to hide something.

Last edited:
With the "Biggest Task in BB Australia History" thing... like, I just don't understand the point of even saying it? It was essentially a bunch of those little tasks that BBUK sets outside of the weekly task bunched together. Nothing special at all. And we didn't even see one of the rounds. Who bloody runs the marketing team nowadays? It was bad enough when Kris Noble used to trot out the "world first" thing at the start of every season, but now every day the show is apparently making history. It's so confusing.

8 - "All-Stars has never worked anywhere in the world, where it's been done [...] There is no evidence that an All-Stars series works."

Yeah, maybe in the alternate universe Alex M lives in where BBUK and BBUSA don't exist (see lie #1). Big Brother All-Stars (USA season 7) was one of my favourite seasons; Big Brother 14 where ex-HouseGuests came back to "coach" the game was my all-time favourite season (it also included pairs, see lie #1 again). Ultimate Big Brother (UK) was also very good. (@Brekkie, care to weigh in with more international examples?)

Weird that he would want to put Tim back in, too, if there's no evidence that All-Stars works. Huh.

Then again, I can see why Alex M would be put off, because, like he said, "We don't make Big Brother USA because it's shit, we make Big Brother Australia because it's the best! Apart from the Head of Household mechanic, we'll take that" (I'm paraphrasing). Just like how, "We are not doing Power Trip but we liked a few elements of this year’s UK series which you may see reworked... actually scratch that, we are doing Power Trip." (Paraphrasing again, soz.)

9 - "Despite popular opinion, live streaming the Big Brother House is no [sic] viable – economically and ethically."

It must be pretty boring in Alex M World without Big Brother USA's subscription-based 24/7 live feed with a choice of four cameras, the ability to rewind, and an overview screen showing all four feeds at once! I guess Big Brother Canada doesn't exist there, either.

What a spanner. O_O

boogroe
1 month ago
My mate @sbramham book "Three Quarter Man" is extremely inspiring and hilarious. It's a must read! Plus he's really cute

10607983_272614989602369_1886239667_n.jpg

8 - "All-Stars has never worked anywhere in the world, where it's been done [...] There is no evidence that an All-Stars series works."

Yeah, maybe in the alternate universe Alex M lives in where BBUK and BBUSA don't exist (see lie #1). Big Brother All-Stars (USA season 7) was one of my favourite seasons; Big Brother 14 where ex-HouseGuests came back to "coach" the game was my all-time favourite season (it also included pairs, see lie #1 again). Ultimate Big Brother (UK) was also very good. (@Brekkie, care to weigh in with more international examples?). O_O
Definately been done in... Africa, Belgium, Bulgaria (twice), Canada (Quebec), Denmark, Portugal (twice) and Spain (twice, with other reality stars). How successful they were I don't know, though those having two series suggests the first worked.

I don't think it would work for Australia though as the HMs aren't different enough from year to year.

I don't think it would work for Australia though as the HMs aren't different enough from year to year.

I guess it'd depend who they could get to sign up. Here are 16 just off the top of my head that would make a decently-solid cast, and it doesn't even include BB01, BB02, BB9, or CBB (haven't seen), BB08 (too bland), or BB11 (too early to pick).

Reggie BB03
Chrissie BB03
Ryan (Fitzy) BB04
Bree BB04
Paul BB04
Vesna BB05
Tim BB05
The Logans BB05
Perry BB06
Michael BB06
Aleisha BB07
Zach BB07
Bodie BB07
Tahan BB10
Tim BB10
Tully BB10

Didn't he also say this would be a diverse cast- more than last year?

With the "Biggest Task in BB Australia History" thing... like, I just don't understand the point of even saying it? It was essentially a bunch of those little tasks that BBUK sets outside of the weekly task bunched together. Nothing special at all. And we didn't even see one of the rounds. Who bloody runs the marketing team nowadays? It was bad enough when Kris Noble used to trot out the "world first" thing at the start of every season, but now every day the show is apparently making history. It's so confusing.
It's exactly the same with the "World First" thing. As Alex says himself the number of worldwide BB viewers in Australia is in the hundreds, so why sell a "world first" to the audience when most the audience don't care less - and those that do catch them out straight away when it's not. I don't think any of the "World Firsts" in BBAU have actually been.

Ok, here's a suggestion for the BB powers that be. How about next year instead of wasting all of that money on the pretence of state by state auditions when it's pretty obvious the hms are chosen by casting call, you use it to pay for a couple of night staff and give us some decent coverage. There is a reason so many are saying they're not voting, no-one can remember who the hms are to vote for them.

Didn't he also say this would be a diverse cast- more than last year?
Everything he said turned out to be the exact opposite. More diverse cast = 1 posh Indian girl and the rest all white.
BB purist = no feeds, highly orchestrated, manipulated and edited show that disregards any semblance to a social experiment.
Not looking for a copy cat Tim = Jake and Gemma

[...] so why sell a "world first" to the audience when most the audience don't care less - and those that do catch them out straight away when it's not.

And isn't that exactly the problem? People these days are very media savvy -- they know about editing, and casting, and since the dawn of "scripted reality" they're more sceptical about whether what they're watching is "real". I don't know if Australia has had anything along the lines of the "premium rate services scandal" and "TV fakery scandal" that we had in the UK, but I expect it's a worldwide trend.

People understand that Big Brother is a worldwide format. People want to engage with the show online (whether or not there's any "official" content to look at). They notice when entire days of footage go missing, or when the Housemates all seem to know ex-Housemates, or when "World Firsts" aren't.

But Alex/Network Nine/whoever's really making the bad decisions this year (Alex is rightfully getting the brunt of the crap because he's made himself the "face" of the production -- I couldn't name the current EP of BBUK, and people here tend to rage against "Channel 5" rather than any particular person) seems to think their viewers are just dumb bags of flesh that'll sit and absorb whatever Big Brother puts in front of them without questioning it.

That wasn't even the case in, like, 2004, let alone in the age of social media. They need to stop underestimating us.

The show itself, as a show, is still very good. I like watching BBAU. I still prefer it to BBUK. I don't plan to stop watching it, and I hope this isn't the last year. We just need fewer lies and more transparency, even if that just means them telling us why they're doing the things they're doing. :thumbsup:

10 - Two new housemates
Surely in the language of Big Brother a "housemate" is somebody playing the game - eligible to be nominated, eligible to be evicted and eligible to win. Ned and Kelly do not fit into this and Nine knew exactly what they were doing with that promo.

Reggie BB03
Chrissie BB03
Ryan (Fitzy) BB04
Bree BB04
Paul BB04
Vesna BB05
Tim BB05
The Logans BB05
Perry BB06
Michael BB06
Aleisha BB07
Zach BB07
Bodie BB07
Tahan BB10
Tim BB10
Tully BB10

MJL,
THAT WOULD BE A AWESOME TEAM I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT BUT UNFORTUNATELY I DOUBT THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN, BUT WE CAN ALWAYS DREAM.

10 - Two new housemates
Surely in the language of Big Brother a "housemate" is somebody playing the game - eligible to be nominated, eligible to be evicted and eligible to win. Ned and Kelly do not fit into this and Nine knew exactly what they were doing with that promo.

They did the same thing with "George Clooney" the dog last year.

Back