Skip to main content

The Hotplate... is anyone going to bother watching it?...

Mr Stickyfingers

an old fart that rants at times...
Awesome site donor
...after 'Masterchef' and 'My Kitchen Rules' have we got anything left for a poor man's version with 'The Hotplate' tonight on Channel 9?... are we all drained and maxed out with cooking shows?... as I said in the Masterchef thread I'll be watching this first episode out of pure curiosity just so I can either watch the whole thing regularly or just to bitch and whine about it and never watch it again lol!... to quote myself on that thread...
"from the promos it looks like a bunch of bitchy snarling would-be 'chefs' fighting tooth and claw for the most screen time to me... (all the elements for me not to watch it)... but as I always say... I've got to watch at least one show so that I can tear it to shreds and bitch about it if I don't like it lol!!!!!"...

...either this thread will die a quick death or we'll all be here critcising the show and perhaps having a laugh at it... I can't see myself watching it all the way through more than likely but what the hell eh?... lol!... cheers.

I'll no doubt give it a go. This and Restaurant Revolution just for curiosity.
I have my doubts as to how good it will be mainly because Tom Parker Bowles is there to judge and give his hoity toity opinion.

I'll no doubt give it a go. This and Restaurant Revolution just for curiosity.
I have my doubts as to how good it will be mainly because Tom Parker Bowles is there to judge and give his hoity toity opinion.
I am thinking that he will not be the problem. I doubt he'll trade on his name in this regard.

Alternatively you can move onto Masterchef New Zealand, which has just started. Though given people are getting through to the top 24 with a well cooked steak and chips, it may not quite rise to the standards we've come to expect.

It's probably just the media making a big deal of 'Camilla's son'.
Can't say that I've heard any media mention her. I had to google him to find out his credentials. I think she is a bit of a mystery woman with him crediting her with inspiring him to go into food. It seems that she can cook. You could well be correct in saying that the media will make more of him also being HRH's stepson too. Tonight will be the taste test.

probably not...

and the other one "Restaurant Revolution" is just "My Restaurant Rules" re-hashed but without the channel committing to a lease on a real restaurant location. Now they can just dismantle the popup place when they get the boot.

...hmmm!... that Parker Bowles guy is already giving me the irrits with his poshy posh posh accent and I'm a Pom!... lol!...do you think that these two Italian women are hamming up the 'mother/daughter arguing all the time' routine?... it sort of seems a tad bit too forced to me... cheers.

...it's sort of got that "My Kitchen Rules' vibe to it with me... it looks like the other competitors are trying to pick every fault in their cooking that they possibly can just as they do in that show... I hope that the gay blond guy and his partner are up next... they seem the bitchiest pair to me so far so I hope that they crack under pressure just to bring them back to Earth again... so far I'm thinking that I may watch another episode or two just to get the feel of the show... cheers.

Just started watching.. thought it was funny how they looked surprised they were first up when they were in Perth, so it wasn't that hard to figure out and also have all their fresh ingredients at the restaurant.

Also, I always find it funny when people say "life savings" when they're like 22 lol.

I faintly recall seeing and ad for this. Didn't realise it started so soon.

Any good?

Just started watching.. thought it was funny how they looked surprised they were first up when they were in Perth, so it wasn't that hard to figure out and also have all their fresh ingredients at the restaurant.

Also, I always find it funny when people say "life savings" when they're like 22 lol.

...hahaha!... two good points there Insomniac... funny as...

I faintly recall seeing and ad for this. Didn't realise it started so soon.

Any good?

...well for the first show it wasn't overly great and it wasn't too crappy but I'll will be watching a couple of more shows as I said before to see if it improves or goes down the gurgler... apparently these people all own their own Restaurants so they really are putting themselves out there for criticism big time... whether they will get more customers after this or lose some depending on their critiques will be something to watch... overall it was okay... cheers.

My son insisted I watch it as he was certain I'd like it and I actually did enjoy it. I found it quite entertaining and will keep watching. The fact that the contestants all own established restaurants gives it an edge, as reputations are on the line. I like that! The Italian ladies were likable and although their food was hit and miss on the night, it was generous and hearty. I think under normal circumstances it would be a good family dining experience with the warmth and hospitality they exuded.

Back