Skip to main content

The editing decides who goes/who is popular

starry

While it is true that people can't be made to say what they don't the editing plays a huge role. Apart from twists favouring some HMs, such as making them popular on the inside or against them putting them in hard situations, there are more subtle ways. One is to cut into conversations at particular points, to cut into particular comments and then put it against something that supposedly illustrates that comment (even if it doesn't), have the narrator make judgements (and the presenter even at live shows).

For some reason the producers, like in the UK now, seem to think it's about creating some good v bad conflict and dumbing things down instead of showing a fuller picture. I think they would get a bigger audience if they didn't do that and instead at the very least had extra clips like last year, or even better had a live feed. Last year started off stupidly with them trying to turn Tahan into a baddie against the supposedly perfect twin sisters but got better when we saw a fuller picture, but the producers of this show just don't learn. By turning it into a program to just generate hate then you may as well turn the program off, it's no longer reality and is just manipulation. And in something that is a vote to save that really makes even less sense.

Oh and I also forgot the manipulative twitter comments, with jumpin polls as well now, and also the live audience reactions in the live show. All of which aren't needed in a Big Brother as an actual reality show.

The producers think that "reality" is what's the hot trend, it died out ages ago. I wish they would show the real sides to the housemates, we've never even seen a whole conversation without it being interrupted by ads or another storyline. Those extras clips were so good last year, I really liked Maddy after seeing her just interacting with other HMs. I really hope Big Brother will do one more year.

I wish we could go back to the good, old-fashioned, controversial, almost 24/7 house watching. It got channel 10 into trouble often enough, but it served a genuine purpose with regards to keeping the whole Big Brother experience fair to all participants (including the viewers/voters).

I'm all for common decency, and steering clear of footage that's going to put the show's future in jeopardy. If Big Brother ever did have live streaming again, then obviously there'd have to be at least a 2 minute delay and someone with their finger on the button. But we'd have a far more interesting BB season, and a lot less talk about editing.

I recently had to do a couple of university assignments where I videoed counselling sessions with a client (not a real client... a confederate). There was a little more "can we do that bit again?" and "Damn... just let me look up what I'm supposed to say to that"... to ever hand in as is lol. I always intended to edit all that out (and in my defence, we were up against a ridiculous number of noise distractions, plus my migraine)... but still, I was amazed at the end result. Simple editing turned me from rambling confusion, to completely competent.

Seriously, couldn't believe the difference. If I can achieve that by editing with an iPhone, then "TV magic" can do just about anything.

If I was a betting person I'd bet they already have the final four and quite possibly the winner already decided, just like they do every year. They've got their ending, now all they have to do adjust the footage until they get the weekly result they want.

If I was a betting person I'd bet they already have the final four and quite possibly the winner already decided, just like they do every year. They've got their ending, now all they have to do adjust the footage until they get the weekly result they want.

Who do you think that is this year? In some way they have to respond to the public. I would bet they didn't expect Jade to hit second place last year, they really made her look like an obsessed stalker.

Last year it was obvious Tim, but this year i can't see anyone really standing out.

Last year it was obvious Tim, but this year i can't see anyone really standing out.

Maybe Lawson. It wouldn't surprise me at all. I wouldn't mind though.. He seems like an ok guy.

If the edits are anything to go by Katie will be the one gone.

Obviously. The producers could basically choose who they want to win, and edit the character to gain the favour of the audience most, even if they are a dreadful housemate that we'd all really hate.

In fact, they could send like a fake housemate in, edit them so they win, and then just get the 250k off them.

Oh, and there's no denying the fact that editing or no editing, Tahan was a 'meanie'.

the eviction show was dreafull design.... too many highlights... and yet they making it out its a live show when its not. I till dont no where the kitchen is located and is the bedroom next door to the kitchen or the bathroom or on the other end of the house. Seriously they made a very poor tour to demostrate us people where things are room to room rather then one image in one room and another image on another room. Years ago they made it more interaction where the camera men walks thru the house for you to show you where things are and how to reach to the other room and the other room(s) not just cuts and editing and one place to another.

Its nothing to do with channel 9. Its only the producers wanting to make the show look very very diferent. I would love to hire the original producers back on the game. Thank you.

the eviction show was dreafull design.... too many highlights... and yet they making it out its a live show when its not. I till dont no where the kitchen is located and is the bedroom next door to the kitchen or the bathroom or on the other end of the house. Seriously they made a very poor tour to demostrate us people where things are room to room rather then one image in one room and another image on another room. Years ago they made it more interaction where the camera men walks thru the house for you to show you where things are and how to reach to the other room and the other room(s) not just cuts and editing and one place to another.

Its nothing to do with channel 9. Its only the producers wanting to make the show look very very diferent. I would love to hire the original producers back on the game. Thank you.
It is a live show! Sonia is really there -- she is no figment of your imagination. She isn't a grafics.

By the way Aisha looks like a dreadfull nasty looking lady. She looks like a nasty or agressive type looks. I can see it from her face plus the producers are so stupidity they end up wanna find the similar looking faces from preview year. Wake up. If i was there i would bring the cane and wake up the show back to its orginal show. This year im discusted. And not only aisha but all of them are dreadfull. Too many msucles the other a tall one the other a nasty looks... This is not a circus show..

It is a live show! Sonia is really there -- she is no figment of your imagination. She isn't a grafics.
The show is not LIVE. why was there too many editing and cuts ? why didn't we bloody see the housemate walk to the diary room and waited pationly till bb spoken but rather more of see a housemate already in that chair and quickly starts to vote. But didn't see him/her walk to the diary room. They may of got there in a second. Yea right editing. I can't stand this.

The show is not LIVE. why was there too many editing and cuts ? why didn't we bloody see the housemate walk to the diary room and waited pationly till bb spoken but rather more of see a housemate already in that chair and quickly starts to vote. But didn't see him/her walk to the diary room. They may of got there in a second. Yea right editing. I can't stand this.
No the clips of the house aren't live. We don't want the whole show to be only live footage, we need to see what happened in the house the previous day. But when Sonia is speaking and when Gemma was evicted and then interviewed, that's all live.

Now it seems like you are talking about the nominations show, not the eviction show. Yes nominations are not live this year and they haven't tied to say they are. I prefer the new format of including the nominations into the daily show

All i can say is. (editing and cuts and highlights) makes a bad minus move of the show. Because the show looks more like a quicky rather then its original lenthy wait till the housemates walks pationly to the diary room. Even the eviction and the normination night looks to made to look like a quicky run rather then its lenthy looks. I tell you years ago it had more time up the sleeves and the show was more longer done and even the credits was longer even upto 2 minutes with the bb theme song. This year its a less then 10 seconds credit or even a 5 seconds and end of story. Back then the network ten was almost like a channel made and design for big brother show only. Thats how good it was. I tell you. Just disapointed about this change with big brother... they did not need to do this change.. just because they moved to channel 9..... bloody hell. And also channel 9 should also STOP putting (the all NEW) on every show.... its not NEW its a ongoing show... they have a habbit of using that words (new) on everything constantly every nights on the whats up tonight on channel 9. Also notice channel 9 does not have a theme channel 9 opening logo anymore...

Remember how channel 9 used to always beging with a graphical illustrated channel 9 symbol in the middle of the screen with its ch9 theme song before any (programe) begings? yep thats also gone.

All i can say is. (editing and cuts and highlights) makes a bad minus move of the show. Because the show looks more like a quicky rather then its original lenthy wait till the housemates walks pationly to the diary room. Even the eviction and the normination night looks to made to look like a quicky run rather then its lenthy looks. I tell you years ago it had more time up the sleeves and the show was more longer done and even the credits was longer even upto 2 minutes with the bb theme song. This year its a less then 10 seconds credit or even a 5 seconds and end of story. Back then the network ten was almost like a channel made and design for big brother show only. Thats how good it was. I tell you. Just disapointed about this change with big brother... they did not need to do this change.. just because they moved to channel 9..... bloody hell. And also channel 9 should also STOP putting (the all NEW) on every show.... its not NEW its a ongoing show... they have a habbit of using that words (new) on everything constantly every nights on the whats up tonight on channel 9. Also notice channel 9 does not have a theme channel 9 opening logo anymore...

Remember how channel 9 used to always beging with a graphical illustrated channel 9 symbol in the middle of the screen with its ch9 theme song before any (programe) begings? yep thats also gone.
So you want a show full of watching them WALK places? Just go sit at the park or in a shopping centre @John

I have lots of nice production tour videos of big brother 1 and since i went there twice in 2001 i film it all from the back stage to the editing room to the diary room to the behing the scene to the inside of the big brother house to the backyard even the chickens. Film it in high quality 8mm tapes and its originally in very high quality viewing with sorround sound. Since i had the best handycamera around. I look at it and i almost felt like crying how good it was. I also film as i was walking all the way to the big brother show on that stretchy long bushland... Thats how good it was when the house became open to the public. Went there only 4 days later of the opening to the public.

lots of memories in 2001 big brother 1. I sometimes dream about it. And i suppose its why i felt in love with the show and i still do. Its only the clowns at the back of the editing room (producers) who are ruineing the show complete.

Back