Skip to main content

Sabado Gigante: Homenaje Gigante

DigitalCorp

Always Watching
OK. I don't know if Sabado Gigante (Gigantic Saturday) was ever seen in Australia, so I'll explain it. It's the longest-running television variety series in history, "an eclectic and frenetic mix of various contests, human-interest stories, and live entertainment." The show started in 1962 in Chile, then moved to the United States in 1986, where it stayed until just last year. The host is the joyous Don Francisco.

Now, when Canal 13 (the original broadcaster in Chile) discovered that the series was going to end after 53 years, they decided to do a retrospective of the series. After all, they had a lot of material to work with. If you don't know Spanish, that's OK. You'll get a pretty good idea of what's going on here.

Enjoy!

Some saturday night variety shows around the world:

Hey Hey It's Saturday
was the Australian variety show, it ran for 27 years 1971-1999.
- The closest USA had is SNL (Saturday night live) which started 1975 running until today in
different formats. It is also a variety show (part sketch part interviews part comedy).
- In Venezuela the variety show Super Sabado Sencasional "Super sensational
saturday" ran from 1970-1990

- Italy also had these saturday night variety shows, it was called Fantastico, 11 years,
it ran from 1979 to 1990 followed by a variety quiz-type show Scommettiamo Che?
from 1991 to 2008. There were other variety type shows and variety-quiz shows.
- Israel also had a saturday night variety show called Sha'a Tova "a good hour" from 1979-1984
followed by the very popular variety show Siba LeMesiba "Reason to party"from 1984-1991.
- Hong Kong had "Enjoy yourself tonight" variety+cooking show running for 27
years from 1967 until 1993.

Last edited:
Variety types:

Interviews + comedy sketches + live performances (most common)
Interviews + gameshow with the guests
Interviews + audience sing-alongs + comedy
gameshow quiz-comedy + surprise guests
gameshow + cooking/comedy challenges
singing/dancing competitions + live performances + sketch comedy

Well, this is a combination of a lot of things. Interviews, comedy sketches, live performances, contests.... it's got it all. Now, would you like for me to post these in order or just at random?

I dont remember which show but the weirdest thing I heard done
on variety shows is makeovers for a person from the audience from the
start of the show to the end (hair, clothes, makeup).
this was before the reality tv makeover shows trend began..
maybe in japan or s.korea. dont remember.

Back