Skip to main content

Rumour: Big Brother Back This Summer on Nine

The house was purpose built along with the production offices connected to the auditorium which is featured in this pre-season documentary from 2001:
Heh. The episode ends with "Who are the housemates?" but they made sure to include sneaky shots of who was actually cast throughout the show.

Would be nice if you had cited a source, but here it is:

[Ten] will likely face some significant competition for the upcoming summer, with Big Brother rumoured to be part of Nine's summer line-up.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...e-show-to-revive-ratings-20180506-p4zdpi.html

...the most worrying part of that article for me was when it said "Then there is the growing speculation Ten may look to separate from MultiChannelNetwork, a joint venture between Foxtel/Fox Sports and Ten which handles the advertising interests for a swathe of channels, due to tensions between CBS and Fox."... so what happens to my beloved 'Gogglebox'?... isn't that being jointly made by Fox and Ten?... and...

...IF Big Brother does come back onto Channel 9 then we can kiss goodbye to it ever being worth getting our hopes up that it'll be any kind of good show to watch at all methinks!... and IF it does come back... please choose a new host for the show... not a token wooden host that can only read a cue camera... one with an actual personality that can ad lib through most of it... at times Sonia Kruger looked like she had a Ventriloquist's arm stuck up her back and was moving the mouth to me... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
at times Sonia Kruger looked like she had a Ventriloquist's arm stuck up her back and was moving the mouth
Oh she was pretty bad for sure. Especially the way she would read a line and then put on a big fake smile... rinse and repeat:

Welcome to Big Brother 2000and whatever!!!
[SMILE]

This year we've got the best housemates evahhhhh!
[SMILE]
...etc

(shudder)

...IF Big Brother does come back onto Channel 9 then we can kiss goodbye to it ever being worth getting our hopes up that it'll be any kind of good show to watch at all methinks!... and IF it does come back... please choose a new host for the show... not a token wooden host that can only read a cue camera... one with an actual personality that can ad lib through most of it... at times Sonia Kruger looked like she had a Ventriloquist's arm stuck up her back and was moving the mouth to me... cheers.

The great BB hosts have all been relatively unknown before they hosted BB... If there's one place that I think "back to basics" might actually be worth while it's this...

...the most worrying part of that article for me was when it said "Then there is the growing speculation Ten may look to separate from MultiChannelNetwork, a joint venture between Foxtel/Fox Sports and Ten which handles the advertising interests for a swathe of channels, due to tensions between CBS and Fox."... so what happens to my beloved 'Gogglebox'?... isn't that being jointly made by Fox and Ten?... and...

This is where Gretel was good I felt. She could handle almost anything and could ad lib. She was caustic, sarcastic and could play an audience. Sonia was a lightweight.

Perhaps Karl will have a conniption if he isn't given the gig? He seems to think he should do everything, including getting a Logie.
Karl under the delusion his appeal stretches to all demographics.
Unfortunately BB as we know it in OZ will never return as the show we knew.
A different time and a different demographic ensures this.
Anything that comes now will now just be a replica of fake tans vapid convos and really dumbed down sexual tittilation which is rife in all reality now.
Having said that, Ive never seen overseas versions and how they operate and how they remain sustainable.
So perhaps Karl is the man for the job
He is a versatile man-child.:D

Karl under the delusion his appeal stretches to all demographics.
Unfortunately BB as we know it in OZ will never return as the show we knew.
A different time and a different demographic ensures this.
Anything that comes now will now just be a replica of fake tans vapid convos and really dumbed down sexual tittilation which is rife in all reality now.
Having said that, Ive never seen overseas versions and how they operate and how they remain sustainable.
So perhaps Karl is the man for the job
He is a versatile man-child.:D
Wash your mouth out with soap for even saying perhaps he is. Don't care if you're not believing your own words :) He'd want in for going into the house every opportunity, thus ensuring that every demographic would be well and truly aware of him.

Wash your mouth out with soap for even saying perhaps he is. Don't care if you're not believing your own words :) He'd want in for going into the house every opportunity, thus ensuring that every demographic would be well and truly aware of him.
I am foaming at the mouth but that doesnt change reality. Or the reason i retch everytime i see this wretch.
Its just the reality of his warped self-perception.:p

I am foaming at the mouth but that doesnt change reality. Or the reason i retch everytime i see this wretch.
Its just the reality of his warped self-perception.:p
I had Today on before I went to work this morning. Heard his voice and was horrified until I realised that it was the lesser of the two evils...his brother. I am an ABC girl in the am if I'm home, as a rule. No idea how Today happened. Was pissed off when I got to my department and that dickhead O'Keeffe was on 7. Eventually channel 10 was on. I had nothing to with the tv selections. I would still be on the ABC, lol.

You don’t know that... The path BBUK has been on recently has been moving away from trashy reality programming... I would think if that route proves to be successful these changes will gradually be introduced in other versions...

This is where Gretel was good I felt. She could handle almost anything and could ad lib.

Agreed. I still remember the first time I started to appreciate her humour - it was during the third eviction of 2002 and she was going through her opening monologue, but was cut-off as she said how the night was going to be big when the streaker got on stage and things paused for a bit while the situation was handled. She then went to her speech, but added "Tonight is going to be so big... it makes a bratwurst look like a cocktail frankfurt".

Sonia wouldn't have been able to handle the situation at all. She wouldn't have known what to do - like when Ben proposed in 2012. She just stood there looking like a twat (and she even knew it was coming).

Agreed. I still remember the first time I started to appreciate her humour - it was during the third eviction of 2002 and she was going through her opening monologue, but was cut-off as she said how the night was going to be big when the streaker got on stage and things paused for a bit while the situation was handled. She then went to her speech, but added "Tonight is going to be so big... it makes a bratwurst look like a cocktail frankfurt".

Sonia wouldn't have been able to handle the situation at all. She wouldn't have known what to do - like when Ben proposed in 2012. She just stood there looking like a twat (and she even knew it was coming).
I seem to dimly remember that. Quick on her feet and unfazed.

In general I think going in to another revival they really need to wipe the slate clean and start fresh... Focus on key elements that made the show special in the first place and build up from there...
Agree but maybe the time has passed? Tho I am completely unaware as to the status of BB overseas and whether it still exists, rates or how much change to its original premise has evolved.
The influx and success of MTV's reality programs are definite indicators of a baton passed. More booze. More nudity. More sexual. More graphic. More car crash.
But surely even that stuff has a threshold. How low can you go?
My hope is that the limbo bar basically sits on the ground and they cant go any lower and even the younger demographic will want something with a bit more substance.
Rebrand BB but keep its original premise. People. Just normal people. And watch interactions ensue.
With the plethora of junk reality now it might just be refreshing.
As we stand today, it just seems to be a jumble of programs where you might as well just send 10 male and 10 female blow up dolls into a house and watch the producer waltz in once a week with a pin to deflate and eliminate them one by one.

Agree but maybe the time has passed? Tho I am completely unaware as to the status of BB overseas and whether it still exists, rates or how much change to its original premise has evolved.
The influx and success of MTV's reality programs are definite indicators of a baton passed. More booze. More nudity. More sexual. More graphic. More car crash.
But surely even that stuff has a threshold. How low can you go?
My hope is that the limbo bar basically sits on the ground and they cant go any lower and even the younger demographic will want something with a bit more substance.
Rebrand BB but keep its original premise. People. Just normal people. And watch interactions ensue.
With the plethora of junk reality now it might just be refreshing.
As we stand today, it just seems to be a jumble of programs where you might as well just send 10 male and 10 female blow up dolls into a house and watch the producer waltz in once a week with a pin to deflate and eliminate them one by one.

The time has not passed... If you look at how successful BB has been in trying to imitate other trash reality programming out there the answer should be pretty clear... IMO it’s been an unmitigated disaster... BB would benefit more from being an alternative to trashy reality programs rather than trying to compete directly...

As I said before they should focus on key elements that made BB special and build up from there... There’s a thread I started a while back that discusses some ideas on revised formats and goes a bit more in depth in terms of those key elements I’ve been talking about... Please check it out if you’re interested...

https://www.theage.com.au/business/...ks-with-seven-break-down-20180615-p4zltd.html

Mr Marks ruled out the return of Big Brother to the fill the gap in the nework's summer schedule, saying Love Island is a similar format. But he said he wanted to bring new shows to Nine.

Rumour is that Ten are thinking of reving Dancing With The Stars. Don't know what they are thinking as Dancing skews old, they would be better off bringing back Big Brother. But if they do live streaming is a must.

Back