Skip to main content

Revised Format: Ideas

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
Since this forum is essentially dead I thought this might bring some life back...

I have been saying for years that "should" BB Australia return a revised format is the route the show needs to take... Let's face it "back to basics" just won't cut it anymore... We've seen various incarnations of this thrown around too many times and quite frankly reality TV and consumer entertainment has changed too much for BB to survive on nostalgia alone... We also need to consider that BB hasn't exactly left the best impression in the minds of the general viewers either so we need something fresh and exciting to bring people back... But something that still resembles the BB that people know...

Here is a list of BB basics to consider when developing our ideas:

Consistency
Nominations
Evictions
No contact from the outside world
Public Participation
Tasks and/or Competitions
24/7 surveillance
BB may change the rules at any time

These are the only things that should be considered sacred, otherwise there are no limits on how your format can take shape...

Also while twists are a great way to keep a format from growing stale they should be used sparingly... I placed consistency at the top of the list for a reason... As we've seen in the past a series built on gimmicks or too many inconsistencies will isolate viewers...

We also do not need to limit ourselves to the name Big Brother... There have been many versions of the show that have evolved and re-branded... Re-naming or Re-branding might be a great way to truly give BB a fresh start whist still incorporating elements that BB fans know and love...

I'd also like to keep this thread open to format suggestions and discussion of ideas... Whether or not the show should continue or not is completely irrelevant and not productive to conversations in this thread... That said discussions of news or rumor should also be kept to a minimum...

Here's my idea...

I'm fairly flexible on the name as I am of the belief that BBAU could benefit from a complete re-branding I took some criticism from other threads and came up with a compromise...

Big Brother: PowerHouse: The name is not a gimmick and subsequent series will continue under this name...

Marketing: I'd like to build a marketing campaign around "I've got the power"... That said there will be no cheesy dances or catch phrases either... As BB: PowerHouse is a completely new brand and a fresh start I really want to show viewers that we are serious without being over the top or setting expectations too high...

Theme: A brand new remix of the classic BB theme will be used... Potentially incorporating "I've got the power" in some shape or form...

Host: A brand new host will be chosen... I don't have any ideas on which person should fill the role but I'd like someone relatively unknown... Someone who will grow along with the show and will stand out from others that have filled the role in previous series...

House: Brand new house will be built for this series... All the signs point to the fact that the house at DreamWorld is on the way out anyways so why not start out a fresh new format with a new house as well...

The format: Each week the HM's will compete to be Head of Household... As in the American format this HM will be given the power to nominate two HM's for possible eviction... The HoH will also have the power later in the week to nullify (in private) one eviction vote...

The public will award a special power to the HM of their choice which is called The Golden Key... This HM will be granted safety from nomination and will nominate a third HM for possible eviction... Just like HoH this power cannot be awarded in consecutive weeks...

Unlike the American format only the three nominated HM's will compete for The Power of Veto... The winner of this competition will earn the power to veto their nomination... No replacement will be named in their place...

Once nominations have been finalized the public will be given a chance to cast a single vote to evict along side the remaining HM's... The HoH and the two nominees do not vote... In the event of a deadlocked vote the public vote is the tie-breaker... This is the only time the result of the vote will be revealed to the house...

The show would be stripped across 6 to 7 days a week and would include a weekly companion show called BB:Insider... 24/7 live feed is also essential...

I think if Big Brother was to return, I think they would have to keep the “who goes, you decide” aspect of the show. Maybe they could do a HOH Comp and the winner (HOH) gets to nominate two housemates for eviction and then the rest of the house nominate two others. Then those 4 nominees face the public vote. This way you keep the true public power of the game but also this format could develop tension and drama with the HOH nominees.

If they were to use the full US/Can format then a rebrand is a must. Maybe something like “The House” would be a good name.

Absolutely agree with your 8 key principles for the format, and with your view that consistency is so important. A twist is not a twist when the core twist-free format is nowhere to be seen.

Worth remembering that the Head of House concept isn't completely alien to BBAU - although I think they only used the term explictly in one season the idea of one HM having some influence over nominations and/or immunity has been there in more series than it hasn't. There are plenty of ways to combine the public vote too - the only tweak I'd make to your format Kingston is to have the Veto play out in such a way that if the Veto is used there will be a replacement. The public vote would then save one of the three nominees, with the housemates then evicting from the remaining two.

Also do agree an unknown who can develop into the role of host is a great idea.

I think if Big Brother was to return, I think they would have to keep the “who goes, you decide” aspect of the show. Maybe they could do a HOH Comp and the winner (HOH) gets to nominate two housemates for eviction and then the rest of the house nominate two others. Then those 4 nominees face the public vote. This way you keep the true public power of the game but also this format could develop tension and drama with the HOH nominees.

If they were to use the full US/Can format then a rebrand is a must. Maybe something like “The House” would be a good name.

Have you watched any of the Canadian/American series at all? While the role of the public might be reduced in your eyes I think you’ll find in practice they actually carry a significant amount of power... The public often fall in to a swing vote situation which can drastically alter the course of the game... BB8 is a great example of how much power the public have casting a single vote to evict...

Engagement is more important than power IMO - viewers need to engage with the houseguests and the format, and that doesn't mean it needs to be about interactivity. The 24/7 feed is far more important for encouraging viewer interaction than a weekly vote where you are one vote in a million.

It is worth remembering every US series has had some kind of viewers vote - granted some seasons it was absolutely crap like choosing the food the Have Nots could eat but early years were all about rewarding the housemates with Americas Choice, there's been twists like America's Player which gave the viewers control over one HGs votes and then in recent years viewers have been able to influence nominations, either directly or by awarding the power to decide a third nominee, whilst the last couple of years have seen potentially game changing twists in the hands of the viewers (the equivalent of the viewers deciding who gets the "Superpower"). And although the cash prize is low that awarding of America's Favourite Player seems to be really valued by the houseguests, arguably more so than the awarding of the viewer voted winner in the UK.

Last edited:
Are there any reality shows left in Australia now where viewers get to vote, or are they all a thing of the past? That to me used to be big brothers biggest point of difference is how much the viewer could influence the game. I know production in more recent years manipulated that, but I think I would want someway of viewer influence, if not through eviction then maybe nominations or something.

Are there any reality shows left in Australia now where viewers get to vote, or are they all a thing of the past? That to me used to be big brothers biggest point of difference is how much the viewer could influence the game. I know production in more recent years manipulated that, but I think I would want someway of viewer influence, if not through eviction then maybe nominations or something.

i'm a celebrity?

Ah I haven't watched that... Oops hang my head in shame on this forum I know.

i watched a bit of it but turned it off. the thing i like about reality shows is discovering the stories of new people. with celebrities we already have their wiki page.

Ah I haven't watched that... Oops hang my head in shame on this forum I know.

You were still on to something... There really are only a handful of shows that use viewer engagement as a key element... When taking in to account the live feed BB allows viewers an unprecedented level of engagement that hasn’t been successfully replicated by any other format... This key selling point is what made BB such a success in the first place and is why it is failing without it...

The other thing I like the idea of but I just don't know how possible it is anymore is having real people. Not model wannabes or instagram influencers in waiting. Just ordinary people with brains and opinions.

BIG BROTHER: WORLD DOMINATION
A Collaboration Between Australia, the US, and the UK

Synopsis: 20 of the most controversial and most successful Housemates from four countries --- Australia, the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom --- compete in one house for the title of World's Greatest Housemate, and a prize of $1,000,000..... with a twist.

Networks:
POP - USA
Network Nine (live feeds on Extra) - Australia
Channel 5 - UK

Hosts:
Julie Chen - USA
Gretel Kileen - Australia
Emma Willis - UK

Daily Show Narrator: Mike Goldman
Deputy Big Brothers: Leon Murray (Australia), Don Wollman (USA), Whoever Does It In the UK
Taped at: Big Brother House, Dreamworld, Coomera, Queensland, Australia

Housemates
Australia:
Sara-Marie Fedele - Big Brother 1
Nobuyuki "Nobbi" Tanaka - Big Brother 8
Layla Subritzky - Big Brother 9
Nathan Barlow - Big Brother 10
Priya Malik - Big Brother 11

UK:
Nick Bateman - Big Brother 1
Makosi Musambasi - Big Brother 6
Nikki Grahame - Big Brother 7
Dave Vaughan - Big Brother 11
Jack and Joseph "Joe" Glenny - Big Brother 14 (competing as one Housemate)

USA:
Dr. Will Kirby - Big Brother 2
Daniele Donato - Big Brother 8
Dan Gheesling - Big Brother 10
Andy Herren - Big Brother 15
Derrick Levasseur - Big Brother 16

Canada:
Gary Levy - Big Brother 1
Sabrina Abbate - Big Brother 2
Sarah Hanlon - Big Brother 3
Nick & Phil Paquette - Big Brother 4 (competing as one Housemate)
Karen Singbeil - Big Brother 5

Intruders:
UK - Brian Belo
Australia - Estelle Landy
US - Frankie Grande
Canada - Ashleigh Wood

FULL HOUSEMATE RULES AND REGULATIONS:
http://www.bigbrotherchaos.com/archive/big-brother-australia-housemate-rules/

The House:

The purpose built house is located at Dreamworld.

Diary Room
Nominations Chamber
Presidential Suite
Backyard (with swimming pool and hot tub)
Living Room
Lounge Area
Kitchen/Dining Area
The Utility Room, a regularly renovated room that has various uses
Large Bedroom, along with storage shelves to store the housemates' possessions
Small Bedroom
Bathroom
Secret executive bathroom, accessed via a secret door in the bedroom disguised as a shelf
Gym and fitness area
Outdoor entertainment complex/outdoor pizza oven/club area with dance floor and DJ booth

Tasks
Each week BB will set the group a task, which housemates will have to tackle together. The tasks vary from physical to mental challenges but are all designed to get the group to cooperate and work together. Housemates will be asked to bet a proportion of their weekly budget on whether they will successfully complete the task. They will be required to bet between a minimum of 50% and a maximum of 100%.

The budget is kept to a minimum but the group will never starve. BB provides basic provisions based on USDA Health Department estimations of a normal minimum daily intake per person.

The task is not optional. All housemates must take part or they could be eligible for ejection from the house. Sometimes the challenges may require the group to work as individuals, on other occasions the challenge may require group work and co-operation in teams. As with weekly tasks, these challenges are not optional.

Nominations:
In the nomination process itself, housemates each have five points to appoint to two other housemates. They may give one housemate four points, and another one; or they may give one housemate two points and another three. Either way, they must give valid, honest reasons for their choices. If Big Brother feels a housemate's nomination is not clear and concise, he may decide to give the nominating housemate one nomination point. The three housemates with the highest number of points are revealed to the housemates. In the case of a third place tie, all those tying for third place are eligible for eviction. On these occasions more than three housemates would be up for eviction.

One housemate each week will earn the Nomination Super Power; an advantage to one housemate for nominations in a given week. The most recent evictee decides on which housemate they would like to have the power, without knowing what that power is. (In the first week, the winner of Friday Night Live also gets the NS.)

A fundamental and strongly-enforced rule of Big Brother is that nominations, and the use of the Nominations Superpower, are not to be discussed at all. Specifically, all housemates are forbidden from disclosing to other housemates who they have previously nominated, who they plan to nominate in the future, or who their Twist has been used on; and they must not engage in conjecture about who may attract nomination votes and why. These discussions are banned and are deemed collusion by Big Brother. Breaking this rule incurs fines, punishment, or loss of the right to nominate in the following round.

Evictions:
After the three housemates with the highest number of nomination points are revealed, the audience is allowed to vote for the person they want to save. The viewing audience may vote via Facebook, text messaging, or by calling in using special numbers. The audience may vote as many times as they like, however, each vote costs money (plus standard text messaging rates). They can only vote for those housemates that are up for nomination and the housemate with the least amount of votes to save them are evicted on the live Sunday show.

Intruders:
Intruders are new housemates added to the house by the show's producers as an on-going housemate after the series has started. They are eligible to win the final prize.

Prize Money:
Unlike previous seasons, the prize money starts at US$1,000,000 (AU$1,152,489.87/UK£626,657.29). However, US$5,000 is deducted every time the housemates break a rule. Such rules include discussing nominations (which must remain secret), not giving adequate reasons for nominating, and forgetting to wear microphones at all times. In general, if Big Brother catches you breaking a rule, you'll get a fine for it. Contestants will have a chance to earn back some of their prize money in a special Friday Night Live competition.

Other Prizes:
Housemates who are evicted will walk away with a collection of prizes, including a cell phone (with subscriptions to live feeds), a trip, and a brand new car. In addition, housemates may have the opportunity to win other prizes for use either during or after the competition in various tasks and challenges set to them by Big Brother.

Friday Night Live:
Big Brother Friday Night Live is a live show hosted by former Big Brother Housemates Mike "Boogie" Malin, Ryan "Fitzy" Fitzgerald, and Rachel Reilly, showcasing a live housemate games competition conducted in an arena attached to the compound every Friday evening. The housemate evicted the previous week joins the hosting panel.

The winner of these games each week is rewarded with:
1. $10,000 in cash (courtesy of a sponsor)
2. The Power of Veto, which gives HMs the ability to save one housemate (including themselves, if applicable) from nomination and replace them with another
3. The Nominations Superpower (in Week 1 only)
4. The right, privilege, and honor of spending the weekend with another HM in the Presidential Suite

After the games, there is typically a party thrown by Big Brother which follows that week's theme involving much food and drink, party games, and a dance at Club BB.

Big Brother Confidential:
A mature show narrated by Clayton Halsey. It features many unseen and uncensored house footage throughout the week.

Weekly Schedule:
Sunday: Live Eviction/Daily Show [90 min.]
Monday: Nominations/Daily Show [90 min.]
Tuesday: Daily Show [60 min.]
Wednesday: Daily Show [60 min.]
Thursday: Daily Show [60 min.]/Confidential [30 min.]
Friday: Daily Show [60 min.]/Friday Night Live [60 min.]

Big Brother After Dark:
Every Night at 1 am/12c

BIG BROTHER: WORLD DOMINATION
A Collaboration Between Australia, the US, and the UK

Synopsis: 20 of the most controversial and most successful Housemates from four countries --- Australia, the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom --- compete in one house for the title of World's Greatest Housemate, and a prize of $1,000,000..... with a twist.

Networks:
POP - USA
Network Nine (live feeds on Extra) - Australia
Channel 5 - UK

Hosts:
Julie Chen - USA
Gretel Kileen - Australia
Emma Willis - UK

Daily Show Narrator: Mike Goldman
Deputy Big Brothers: Leon Murray (Australia), Don Wollman (USA), Whoever Does It In the UK
Taped at: Big Brother House, Dreamworld, Coomera, Queensland, Australia

Housemates
Australia:
Sara-Marie Fedele - Big Brother 1
Nobuyuki "Nobbi" Tanaka - Big Brother 8
Layla Subritzky - Big Brother 9
Nathan Barlow - Big Brother 10
Priya Malik - Big Brother 11

UK:
Nick Bateman - Big Brother 1
Makosi Musambasi - Big Brother 6
Nikki Grahame - Big Brother 7
Dave Vaughan - Big Brother 11
Jack and Joseph "Joe" Glenny - Big Brother 14 (competing as one Housemate)

USA:
Dr. Will Kirby - Big Brother 2
Daniele Donato - Big Brother 8
Dan Gheesling - Big Brother 10
Andy Herren - Big Brother 15
Derrick Levasseur - Big Brother 16

Canada:
Gary Levy - Big Brother 1
Sabrina Abbate - Big Brother 2
Sarah Hanlon - Big Brother 3
Nick & Phil Paquette - Big Brother 4 (competing as one Housemate)
Karen Singbeil - Big Brother 5

Intruders:
UK - Brian Belo
Australia - Estelle Landy
US - Frankie Grande
Canada - Ashleigh Wood

FULL HOUSEMATE RULES AND REGULATIONS:
http://www.bigbrotherchaos.com/archive/big-brother-australia-housemate-rules/

The House:

The purpose built house is located at Dreamworld.

Diary Room
Nominations Chamber
Presidential Suite
Backyard (with swimming pool and hot tub)
Living Room
Lounge Area
Kitchen/Dining Area
The Utility Room, a regularly renovated room that has various uses
Large Bedroom, along with storage shelves to store the housemates' possessions
Small Bedroom
Bathroom
Secret executive bathroom, accessed via a secret door in the bedroom disguised as a shelf
Gym and fitness area
Outdoor entertainment complex/outdoor pizza oven/club area with dance floor and DJ booth

Tasks
Each week BB will set the group a task, which housemates will have to tackle together. The tasks vary from physical to mental challenges but are all designed to get the group to cooperate and work together. Housemates will be asked to bet a proportion of their weekly budget on whether they will successfully complete the task. They will be required to bet between a minimum of 50% and a maximum of 100%.

The budget is kept to a minimum but the group will never starve. BB provides basic provisions based on USDA Health Department estimations of a normal minimum daily intake per person.

The task is not optional. All housemates must take part or they could be eligible for ejection from the house. Sometimes the challenges may require the group to work as individuals, on other occasions the challenge may require group work and co-operation in teams. As with weekly tasks, these challenges are not optional.

Nominations:
In the nomination process itself, housemates each have five points to appoint to two other housemates. They may give one housemate four points, and another one; or they may give one housemate two points and another three. Either way, they must give valid, honest reasons for their choices. If Big Brother feels a housemate's nomination is not clear and concise, he may decide to give the nominating housemate one nomination point. The three housemates with the highest number of points are revealed to the housemates. In the case of a third place tie, all those tying for third place are eligible for eviction. On these occasions more than three housemates would be up for eviction.

One housemate each week will earn the Nomination Super Power; an advantage to one housemate for nominations in a given week. The most recent evictee decides on which housemate they would like to have the power, without knowing what that power is. (In the first week, the winner of Friday Night Live also gets the NS.)

A fundamental and strongly-enforced rule of Big Brother is that nominations, and the use of the Nominations Superpower, are not to be discussed at all. Specifically, all housemates are forbidden from disclosing to other housemates who they have previously nominated, who they plan to nominate in the future, or who their Twist has been used on; and they must not engage in conjecture about who may attract nomination votes and why. These discussions are banned and are deemed collusion by Big Brother. Breaking this rule incurs fines, punishment, or loss of the right to nominate in the following round.

Evictions:
After the three housemates with the highest number of nomination points are revealed, the audience is allowed to vote for the person they want to save. The viewing audience may vote via Facebook, text messaging, or by calling in using special numbers. The audience may vote as many times as they like, however, each vote costs money (plus standard text messaging rates). They can only vote for those housemates that are up for nomination and the housemate with the least amount of votes to save them are evicted on the live Sunday show.

Intruders:
Intruders are new housemates added to the house by the show's producers as an on-going housemate after the series has started. They are eligible to win the final prize.

Prize Money:
Unlike previous seasons, the prize money starts at US$1,000,000 (AU$1,152,489.87/UK£626,657.29). However, US$5,000 is deducted every time the housemates break a rule. Such rules include discussing nominations (which must remain secret), not giving adequate reasons for nominating, and forgetting to wear microphones at all times. In general, if Big Brother catches you breaking a rule, you'll get a fine for it. Contestants will have a chance to earn back some of their prize money in a special Friday Night Live competition.

Other Prizes:
Housemates who are evicted will walk away with a collection of prizes, including a cell phone (with subscriptions to live feeds), a trip, and a brand new car. In addition, housemates may have the opportunity to win other prizes for use either during or after the competition in various tasks and challenges set to them by Big Brother.

Friday Night Live:
Big Brother Friday Night Live is a live show hosted by former Big Brother Housemates Mike "Boogie" Malin, Ryan "Fitzy" Fitzgerald, and Rachel Reilly, showcasing a live housemate games competition conducted in an arena attached to the compound every Friday evening. The housemate evicted the previous week joins the hosting panel.

The winner of these games each week is rewarded with:
1. $10,000 in cash (courtesy of a sponsor)
2. The Power of Veto, which gives HMs the ability to save one housemate (including themselves, if applicable) from nomination and replace them with another
3. The Nominations Superpower (in Week 1 only)
4. The right, privilege, and honor of spending the weekend with another HM in the Presidential Suite

After the games, there is typically a party thrown by Big Brother which follows that week's theme involving much food and drink, party games, and a dance at Club BB.

Big Brother Confidential:
A mature show narrated by Clayton Halsey. It features many unseen and uncensored house footage throughout the week.

Weekly Schedule:
Sunday: Live Eviction/Daily Show [90 min.]
Monday: Nominations/Daily Show [90 min.]
Tuesday: Daily Show [60 min.]
Wednesday: Daily Show [60 min.]
Thursday: Daily Show [60 min.]/Confidential [30 min.]
Friday: Daily Show [60 min.]/Friday Night Live [60 min.]

Big Brother After Dark:
Every Night at 1 am/12c

TL;DR But from what I have read it basically sounds like a rehash on past BBAU series...

Except it's International!

200.gif

Back