Skip to main content

Rebecca Wilson (co-host of Big Mouth) dies, aged 54.

the Theorist

Over-thinker. Over-analyser. Over-complainer.
Awesome site donor
Journalist, columnist Rebecca Wilson dies aged 54

LEGENDARY journalist, columnist and broadcaster Rebecca Wilson has passed away.

The award-winning sports journalist at The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph, whose columns also appear in the Herald Sun, lost her long and very private battle to cancer this morning.

Her husband John Hartigan and sons Tom and Will this morning said:

“Our amazing Bec lost her long battle against breast cancer early today. She passed away peacefully in the family home in Sydney while surrounded by her loved ones. Courage has always been a significant part of her DNA, no less in her desperate battle against her insidious disease.

Rebecca kept knowledge of her illness a closely guarded secret. The majority of her friends, colleagues and indeed members of her family were unaware of the extent of her illness. She did so to limit their suffering.

We are so proud that she was so fearless in her chosen role as a sports journalist. She brushed aside evil trolls, bullies and organised crime figures to prosecute her craft.

She proved that women had an equally important role in sports journalism as her male counterparts.

We dearly love and miss our Bec.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/jo...4/news-story/b7d23fe6cee1000e0a15af7d6877d4c0

mqdefault.jpg

For those who don't remember, Rebecca hosted the BBAU version of Big Mouth with Tony Squires back in 2008.

Personally, I could never really understand why she was chosen to host a Big Brother related show - she was very critical on it, and often had no idea what she was talking about when it came to the show or the HM's. But it's still very sad to hear of her passing this morning, especially at such a young age.

May she rest in peace.

I love her! She used to be on The Fat with Tony Squires which I watched religiously (I was really into sport at the time) and she was a massive role model for me. Then I remember her fondly supporting her brother Jim Wilson and his family. This article about Jim's son cancer is something I always remember

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...ht-for-your-life/story-e6frfifo-1225769319297

RIP Bec - an inspirational, funny and caring woman. You will be missed

It always hits harder when it's someone your own age. I'm 54 too and thankfully, healthy. I used to watch The Fat too. A forerunner in that sort of show. RIP indeed.

Back