Skip to main content

Psychological Testing

BB_Fan_05

I was Re-Watching Series 3 and was thinking to myself I know what we need someone like Carmel Hill who was BB Resident Psychologist because even she was boring as hell she did give a lot of good insight to the housemate.

Yep BBFAN I agree with you! Definitely need more information on what is going on in the background. That would be a good idea. But don't want a discussions panel that is edited by the producers though.

I'd love it, but dont't think Nine would go for it.

Alex has made his thoughts known about "old world" Big Brother (social experiment, find out how people react and what they're thinking) - Alex says it's dead.

New world Big Brother is *shiny* - models and actors creating drama and being flirty and creating tension about who hooked up with who.

I was Re-Watching Series 3 and was thinking to myself I know what we need someone like Carmel Hill who was BB Resident Psychologist because even she was boring as hell she did give a lot of good insight to the housemate.

I agree - I liked the aspect of having a resident psychologist on the show, made it feel more like a human experiment rather than a gimmicky reality show. I bet they still have psychologists available 24/7, but it would be good to get some insights from them every now and then.

I'd love it, but dont't think Nine would go for it.

Alex has made his thoughts known about "old world" Big Brother (social experiment, find out how people react and what they're thinking) - Alex says it's dead.

New world Big Brother is *shiny* - models and actors creating drama and being flirty and creating tension about who hooked up with who.

I think part of the reason why it is dead is because today everyone has Facebook and Twitter - we can follow our friends daily and know what they are up to, how they are feeling etc. so that kind of fills the 'voyeuristic' needs of people I guess (I know not many people would admit to having this need, but that was why the show got so popular in the first place), so I think people care more these days about the entertainment factor, with a little bit of the old-world big brother thrown in, because without the basic concept of throwing strangers in the house together, then it just wouldn't be Big Brother. It's still Big Brother, but just a Big Brother that has adapted to an evolving audience.

Gah! Shiny. :vomit:

It would certainly make it more interesting if there was a psychologist who came on for one show a week and gave some kind of commentary about the contestants. (Can you imagine what would have been said about the Jade/SomeBoy dynamic in 2013?) It would give the show some credence about the social experiment, at least, and keep the contestants on their mettle. No reliance on showmance.

Just thinking out loud here, usually the HMs are debriefed on the way out the door, and allegedly have access to counselling while they are in the house and for some time afterwards, can we try and locate and engage the shows mental health team via this forum?

Just thinking out loud here, usually the HMs are debriefed on the way out the door, and allegedly have access to counselling while they are in the house and for some time afterwards, can we try and locate and engage the shows mental health team via this forum?

Thats a good idea actuallly

I think part of the reason why it is dead is because today everyone has Facebook and Twitter - we can follow our friends daily and know what they are up to, how they are feeling etc. so that kind of fills the 'voyeuristic' needs of people I guess.

Oh yeah you're totally right. And even back in old-world BB days we saw it coming. Back then for me though I thought the evolution of Big Brother would be to become even more progressive - more watching, more live feeds, more access to their lives.

I didn't expect the show to go somewhat backwards and devolve into the scripted semi-fiction that it is today. It's a shame really. I blame MTV's "Jersey Shore" which started this whole trend.

Give it a shot, but they'll be under pretty tight contracts with Endemol, not to mention their professional medical obligations of not talking about their work with their patients.

Give it a shot, but they'll be under pretty tight contracts with Endemol, not to mention their professional medical obligations of not talking about their work with their patients.
I’m more than aware of those “responsibilities” and would only expect them to discuss broadly and vaguely.
Now to start sleuthing...

Oh yeah you're totally right. And even back in old-world BB days we saw it coming. Back then for me though I thought the evolution of Big Brother would be to become even more progressive - more watching, more live feeds, more access to their lives.

I didn't expect the show to go somewhat backwards and devolve into the scripted semi-fiction that it is today. It's a shame really. I blame MTV's "Jersey Shore" which started this whole trend.

Yeah, that's true... I guess also, since it's a commercial station, and they want to make money then they have to go with what the general audience wants. I remember back throughout some of the older series, I specifically bought a 3 mobile so that I could watch the live feeds, but to be honest, even though I am a huge BB fan, today I probably wouldn't even bother with the live feeds... because there is so much more I can do on my mobile. Instead of watching them sleep around on the sofa all day, I can log on to YouTube and watch vlogs/home made movies that people have put effort into... I think the reason why there are no live feeds is not so much the worry that there could be inappropriate content broadcast, but simply because now there is so much competition online. I don't think I even knew about YouTube back when they had live streaming to mobiles... lol. Even as a die-hard BB fan, if I have 5 minutes free time, I'd rather see what the housemates are up to through my facebook/twitter feed ALONG with my real friends and family, then simply watch them lying around doing nothing and coming in half way through a conversation.

Back