Skip to main content

"Playing the Game"

astr1d

Prisus Walks
If this is already a thread please delete this one!

Is anyone else over the way HMs talk about the game. It irks me to no end when they realise five weeks in that they need to start "playing the game". Like, have these guys never watched a Big Brother before? They sound so dumb. Then the majority of them have no idea how to play it.

you-dont-say_1520.gif

However, I do like in this season there seems to be a lot of tension across ALL HMs and not just one (Estelle vs Everyone).

They use it as a generic insult when talking about each other. they might as well well say that person "is fruminating bandersnatch!" for all they understand about it means.

For my money, I believe the implied insult is/should be that they prioritise winning over any semblance of honesty, character, or principle in their relationships with each other. The obvious example is someone who is never genuine, says different things to different people, often in explicit contradiction from one person to the next.

Of course everyone is "playing the game" (no insult), since they are on the show. But most of them are playing the game (insult) at least some of the time. Some of them are actually managing to do the former without too much of the latter (eg Tim), some of them don't know how to do the former without the latter (eg Heidi), whilst still others aren't hardly even doing the former (eg Jade)

I really don't understand what this "mutiny" group are trying to achieve. Like how are they honestly planning on bringing down Tim? If they start ganging up on him and trying to turn even more people against him the viewers are just going to support him more.

People who are forming this mutiny:
Heidi
Tully
Ed
Matt
Tahan

People who I honestly don't think will join and turn on Tim:
Mikkayla
Jade
Katie & Lucy

Ben just won't get involved in conflict.

That just leaves Drew...and I can't really work out what he's doing. Most likely trying to play both sides. Tully seemed pretty convinced that he was on the mutiny side but his nominations suggest otherwise. Then again Tully just overestimates her convincing skills. She seems to think that she had Jade on their side, but it's pretty obvious she doesn't given Jade's nominations and the fact that she pretty much told Tim that if he moved bedrooms she probably would too.

Yeah I've always been fascinated by how Survivor and Big Brother to some extent kicked off the birth of the reality wave but they went in completely different directions. In Survivor, not playing the game is the fastest way to get booted out because you're seen as not deserving, there's this underlying theme that the person who wins must do so via effort and tactics. In BB on the other hand it's almost like WarGames, you know, the only winning move is not to play.

I suppose the focus is different though. In Survivor you win by manipulating other players, I think in BB you win by manipulating the audience*. It's a lot like politics in that sense - not interpersonal politics but actual politics - where you're trying to represent yourself as the right choice while also tearing your opponent's image down (or giving them enough rope to do it themselves). In that way, even though I'm a bigger Survivor fan, I think Big Brother is actually harder to win. There are no confessionals in BB really, when you're in the diary room you're still playing because your voters are watching.

*When I say manipulating the audience, not even necessarily in a villainous or sneaky way, that could just mean playing to your strengths and downplaying or managing your flaws, which we all do on a day to day basis anyway. I think someone could fall ass-backwards into winning just by being themselves, but there is no "be yourself" really, we make little decisions every second of every day about what to do and say.

The Tim situation really plays this out for me. On Survivor it'd be clear, you get him out by forming a voting block to get rid of him, (something I'm pretty sure, as Gemini said, they could just manage to do, depending on how Drew swings). But how do you get rid of him on something like Big Brother? His persona thrives on pot-stirring (extra effective in Australia I think), on being the villain, so going head to head against him is just going to keep him around longer. It becomes us vs him, and we don't want that because Australians love an underdog. Turn him into the outcast, or throw his jacket over the fence (heh), and you risk the same problem.

I'm not even sure what the answer is. Maybe - maybe - you wind him up enough that he starts cutting cords on appliances some more, because I think he's easily frustrated, he's not so good at managing his temper in the heat of the moment. Maybe focus on his support network, play the long game, take out those people first, then rub him the wrong way and let him hang himself.

I don't even mind Tim, just thinking out loud. Survivor is very clear, while the question of how to actually play BB is kind of murky. I think that's what I find so interesting. That's why a "mutiny" just doesn't work on this show, you're not swaying the other housemates, you're swaying the public. If they're not on your side, you can put Tim up every week until the final and he'll still win.

Yeh everyone is playing the game, but it's been considered wrong in the public vote version to actually admit that. So most don't say they are.

As for Tim, it's necessary for the show that not everyone just sucks up to his stirring. And it's likely his shelf life is limited anyway, it's perfectly conceivable that an anti-Tim vote is waiting out there as well.

I really don't understand what this "mutiny" group are trying to achieve. Like how are they honestly planning on bringing down Tim? If they start ganging up on him and trying to turn even more people against him the viewers are just going to support him more.

People who are forming this mutiny:
Heidi
Tully
Ed
Matt
Tahan

People who I honestly don't think will join and turn on Tim:
Mikkayla
Jade
Katie & Lucy

Ben just won't get involved in conflict.

That just leaves Drew...and I can't really work out what he's doing. Most likely trying to play both sides. Tully seemed pretty convinced that he was on the mutiny side but his nominations suggest otherwise. Then again Tully just overestimates her convincing skills. She seems to think that she had Jade on their side, but it's pretty obvious she doesn't given Jade's nominations and the fact that she pretty much told Tim that if he moved bedrooms she probably would too.

The whole mutiny thing is a joke and makes them look silly. Ed trying to talk about getting Tim in a circle and call him out on his 'bullying' was hilarious. Eds plan to have them all openly relay back to Tim the times he has backstabbed someone ....OMG .... For starters I doubt Tim says all that much behind backs he wouldn't say to people's faces if he had to anyway, but more importantly, I can just imagine how that would backfire if Tim them said 'ok well let me talk through all the things you have all said behind each others back to me'.

It would be people in glass houses throwing stones!!!

The whole mutiny thing is a joke and makes them look silly. Ed trying to talk about getting Tim in a circle and call him out on his 'bullying' was hilarious. Eds plan to have them all openly relay back to Tim the times he has backstabbed someone ....OMG .... For starters I doubt Tim says all that much behind backs he wouldn't say to people's faces if he had to anyway, but more importantly, I can just imagine how that would backfire if Tim them said 'ok well let me talk through all the things you have all said behind each others back to me'.

It would be people in glass houses throwing stones!!!
IKR I couldn't stop laughing at at stupid idea. Just because people act like its primary school doesn't mean that primary school methods are going to work and on that note I've never seen that sort of thing done before. It's like something you'd see in some corny children's movie or TV show where the victims of the bully 'fight' back which is ironic because they end up being the bullies.
Ed is so stupid it's actually funny!

Back