Skip to main content

Other Aussie TV

Illabeth

What are some other Aussie TV shows that everyone enjoys? Recommendations for our friends across the pond who would like to experience more of what we have to offer. Discuss away.

Rake (Drama)
Offspring (Drama/ Comedy)
Sea Patrol (Drama)
Rush (Police Drama)
Redfern Now (Drama)
A Place to Call Home (Drama)
McLeod's Daughters (Drama)
Upper Middle Bogan (Comedy)
Bondi Hipsters (Comedy)
Thank God You're Here (Comedy)
Wilfred (Comedy)
House Husbands (Drama/Comedy)

As for reality,
Bondi Rescue is always fun
Masterchef
My Kitchen Rules
The Block
To be honest there really isn't that much good Aussie reality stuff.

Yet Brits vote our RTV the best all the time, and plenty follow our formats

Currently on TV

Bachelor Australia, network 10, 1st ever series, it's funny - I have only watched first night, women were drunk it was awesome.
he looks like Ed, but has a personality:) and a more lively attractive face.

Beauty & the Geek
Series 3 I think. Is on 7 network. They are all on a tropical island. This show is OK, not bad/not great

Dancing with the Stars
7, not great/some love this, I like the judges. The stars - we mostly haven't a clue who they are.

Coming back next year
TAR
7 does this really well. It's much more fun than the US version. 2 seasons so far, some teams have been hilarious.
Coming back in 2014.

House Rules
New renovation RTV, this is fun. Teams from every state compete, they renovate a whole house in one week. I love this.
7 next year

My Kitchen Rules
Is fun.
Bitchy/silly cooking show
2 hot chefs judge, one French one Aussie
Teams of 2 from each state.

Farmer Wants a Wife
Series - 10???No idea, seems to have been on forever.
It is pretty genuine, a few marriages, even a birth I think.

This fits Oz, as traditionally a lot of men on the land are very isolated and great blokes, they do need help getting girls.
Some are very rich and quite a catch.
Romantics would love this

We have our versions of X-factor, just ended on 7; Aust Got Talent, finals on 9; the Voice 9?
We have had our own Idol - no longer; and SYTYCD, that is coming back next year - we are rather over achievers in dance I think.

My favourite ever RTV shows were on SBS

Go Back Where You Came From
Has won a lot of international awards
Takes a bunch of racists on a trip that refugees take escaping wars
2 series
This is a life changing experience.

Nerds FC
SBS
The sweetest RTV you will ever see.
Real dorks/geeks, with no physical fitness or prowess, are taken from zero sport playing brainiacs, to play a game against a real soccer team.
Adorable guys in this. Fall in love with the sweeties

Choir of Hardknocks
ABC
Street people, with disabilities and mental illness, addictions etc, are transformed

Jamie Oliver did 2 series here, taking street kids to budding chefs
I think the restaurant recently closed, will check. Lots of kids have been helped through this scheme.

Will be back with more.

See this blog - realityravings.com
It's a good clean and smart blog, that will give you a heads up on our RTV, the vibe of different shows, etc

And
tvtonight.com.au
mediaspy.org
Cover a lot of TV

If you want a drama - The Slap; Cloud Street, 2 recent recommendations

Comedy
Jaimie Private School Girl
Summer Heights High
Frontline
Kath & Kim
Round the Twist ( kids show but it's funny awesome)

Last edited:
We also have our own versions of Top Model and Project Runway if you like those type of shows.

Aussie Pickers is another good one.

some are quite rich and quite a catch

So clearly they can look like the dogs dinner but as long as they have shit-loads of money, that's the important thing...

Anything by The Chaser

CNNNN
The Chasers War On Everything
The Chaser Decides
The Hamster Wheel
The Hamster Decides
The Checkout

So clearly they can look like the dogs dinner but as long as they have shit-loads of money, that's the important thing...

Going on TV to find hubbie? Yeah I imagine they are looking for more than a pretty face.

A lot of them are so remote they need an incentive to even take a look.

I have never watched this show, but I was surprised to hear one of the heirs to Brown Brothers Winery was on it looking for a mrs.

My sis is married to a farmer and she loves this show, seems the contestants female and male are more genuine than most RTV shows.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a husband that can help you provide for a family.

Okay. I've watched one minute of TAR. You guys have got me! Australian tv is "the bomb". :)

Okay. I've watched one minute of TAR. You guys have got me! Australian tv is "the bomb". :)

Aussies really are tailor made for the RTV genre don't you think?

RTV Fact : Did you know - Survivor, an enormous amount of the production crew is Aussie, medics are Aussie/NZ.
They stole them all after series 2 Survivor Oz.

I am from the U.S. and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries made its way here. I mainly like it as I love murder mystery shows set in the 20s. It is quite tame, but I enjoy it anyways.

I am happy this thread exists though, as I want to watch more Australian t.v. now that BB is over.

Interesting.

Paul Hogan - you know Crocodile Dundee - was just interviewed, his old shows were freaky funny.
They would probably teach you more about Aussie culture and weirdness than most.
The Paul Hogan Show, featured his manager as his dopey sidekick Strop, and Strop's wife in real life.
Strop went on to co-write Croc D, and other big money stuff.
I found it funny how good he was playing dumb and how smart he really is.

Hogan just reminded us he has hosted the Oscars, shit I forgot that. And he is the only person to ever do it without a script.

he also recommended that we should beg Hugh Jackman to be our tourism ambassador and promo guy good thinking.

Hogan's career is quite amazing, he was a rigger, discovered on a talent show, and his first big break was doing funny stuff on a current affair show.

Rake, Miss Fischer, Dr Blake Mysteries...Gruen - whichever version is currently showing, Chaser boys. Hamish and Andy

I am from the U.S. and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries made its way here. I mainly like it as I love murder mystery shows set in the 20s. It is quite tame, but I enjoy it anyways.

I am happy this thread exists though, as I want to watch more Australian t.v. now that BB is over.

Another period mystery show you might want to check out is The Doctor Blake Mysteries set in rural Victoria in the 1950s. Not as light as Miss Fisher.

I can't stand alot of Australian dramas. I go in and out of Neighbours sometimes when I'm bored. My Kitchen Rules would have to be one of the only things I enjoy besides Big Brother. I'm a little bit reality tv obsessed.

...I liked 'My Kitchen Rules' too... it's always fun to watch... I can't handle 'Australia's got talent' or 'The Voice' type shows because the judges do my head in... the way that they over-react is just ridiculous... and to be honest I think that some of the singing is bordering on wailing at times too... (Geez lighten up Sticky... what?... have you got your 'grumbling-old-man-pants' on tonight?)... sorry peoples... um... yeah!... I don't mind 'The Block' or 'Celebrity Apprentice' either... I'll shut up rambling on now lol!... cheers.

Comedy
Jaimie Private School Girl
Summer Heights High

Does anyone know whether Ja'mie King Private School Girl is available anywhere on the net? I loved Summer Heights High. Thank you!

Back