New forum software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Don't block a thread, bitches.
Staff member
Administrator
Hello, welcome back!

You may have noticed the forums are looking a tad different to the last time you visited - this is because we have changed the forum software from vBulletin (old) a new platform called Xenforo.

The reason I did this is because Xenforo is superior and easier to use than vBulletin. You'll find viewing the boards is quicker, posting is easier and there are generally more features to get your hands on.

Right now the new software is out-of-the-box, and this is why it's looking very blue. In the coming weeks it will be getting a new lick of paint to make it look more like the 'Behind Big Brother' you're used to.

Other than that, the new forums should operate largely similar to the old ones. If you encounter any problems, please post them in this thread with as much detail as possible so I can investigate.

A note about emails: For the past six months we've been having issues with people not receiving forum emails (to register, reset passwords, get notifications of updated threads etc). I'm working hard to get this fixed. If you request an email from the forums and it doesn't arrive (and isn't in your junk mail folder) please let me know!

Tim

#bbb14 :)

Haha I very much doubt they are correct. I'll suss it out :)

Also, as some have already pointed out, animated avatars don't work.

However, when changing an avatar, the "l" (large) version does work, despite the URL being a jpg with the usual epoch time extension.

example:

Large works fine (used in edit avatar view)
http://forum.behindbigbrother.com/data/avatars/l/22/22224.jpg?1396326197

Medium doesn't work (used in forum threads)
http://forum.behindbigbrother.com/data/avatars/m/22/22224.jpg?1396326197

Small doesn't work (used in "you have posted x messages in this thread")
http://forum.behindbigbrother.com/data/avatars/s/22/22224.jpg?1396326197

I should point out that the creators of xenforo have probably intended for animated avatars to not play in thread view.

And they may have a point. I'm going to have a think about the pros and cons of having them.

I should point out that the creators of xenforo have probably intended for animated avatars to not play in thread view.

And they may have a point. I'm going to have a think about the pros and cons of having them.

and here i was looking for one :rolleyes:

Looking at the XenForo forum, ImageMagick is required instead of GD as the image processor.

I do get the pros and cons. And I just wanted to thank you for the upgrades - it is almost too user friendly for me now :). Can't wait for the new season when we get to try it out on the Daily Show/Live Feeds

How good do the Forums look now.

I really think they are great and look forward to a Massive 2014 of BBBA.

ooh! like buttons!

and upon a little research, looks like we can add a mod that can post all the twitter house updates and possibly the live site updates (costs $5 but i'd happily pay that to save everyone the hard work.)

Just realised there is a "like" button...oh happy day!!!!

Reactions: Tim
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back