Skip to main content

My BBAU Housemate Ranking

Not sure if anyone's really following this, but I may as well keep going since I've already started.

Rankings so far:
22. Tom Mackay
21. Marina Rakovskaia
20. Jake Richardson

And now for #19...

Dion Kallis
21st Place

021517-4527f830-4837-11e4-a514-3305f3826c2d.jpg

Preference: 18/22
Impact: 20/22

I never really figured out how to feel about Dion. Coming in, I thought he had potential, and he seemed quite intelligent and well-spoken which I always value in a player. I think the problem with him, though, is that there was something about him that kept him from being likable - perhaps it was his bluntness or presumed arrogance, but whatever it was, the Australian public picked up on it as he was the second one to leave. I would have liked him to stick around longer because I think he could've played the game quite well, but I think he probably would've been better suited to a more strategy-oriented game than one that focuses on personality since he got lost in the shuffle in that respect.

Hint for #18: One of the many women to quarrel with David.​

Not sure if anyone's really following this, but I may as well keep going since I've already started.

Rankings so far:
22. Tom Mackay
21. Marina Rakovskaia
20. Jake Richardson

And now for #19...

Dion Kallis
21st Place

021517-4527f830-4837-11e4-a514-3305f3826c2d.jpg

Preference: 18/22
Impact: 20/22

I never really figured out how to feel about Dion. Coming in, I thought he had potential, and he seemed quite intelligent and well-spoken which I always value in a player. I think the problem with him, though, is that there was something about him that kept him from being likable - perhaps it was his bluntness or presumed arrogance, but whatever it was, the Australian public picked up on it as he was the second one to leave. I would have liked him to stick around longer because I think he could've played the game quite well, but I think he probably would've been better suited to a more strategy-oriented game than one that focuses on personality since he got lost in the shuffle in that respect.

Hint for #18: One of the many women to quarrel with David.

Lisa or Sandra, I'm leaning towards Lisa....

I love how the bottom 3 were males....

I'm enjoying this thread keep going

Yay! It's so awesome to see a housemate from this season read my ranking. Hopefully you'll approve of my write-up of you when it happens...

And @Inigo Montoya, Marina's not a man. :p

Anyway, #18...

Lisa Clark
18th Place

Lisa_L.jpg

Preference: 19/22
Impact: 17/22

Coming into the season, my expectations for Lisa weren't super high. I thought she could possibly last a short while, but I knew she wouldn't be there for the long haul because similarly to Dion, there was something about her that just didn't seem that likable.

Throughout her time in the house, she had quite a few low moments, but one that was probably the most notable was the "sagging breasts" incident which resulted in insecure whining and an extremely uncomfortable argument with David. Personally, I don't think David was really in the wrong in this situation - granted, I think poking fun at anyone's physical qualities can often be rude and unnecessary, but he was doing it in confidence, so it was obviously not meant for Lisa to hear. She definitely had a right to be upset (as many people would be), but I do think she took the situation too far.

So if I've really only been saying negative things about Lisa so far, why is she this high? That would be because, unlike the four before her, I actually have something to talk about with her - she did have at least somewhat of an impact on this season, and that alone puts her in this spot.

Hint for #17 - Sidekick​

Rankings so far:

22. Tom Mackay
21. Marina Rakovskaia
20. Jake Richardson
19. Dion Kallis
18. Lisa Clark

Now who will join them at #17...?

Katie Schepis
20th Place

BBAUKATIE.jpg

Preference: 16/22
Impact: 14/22

When the season began, I had high hopes for Katie. I thought she had potential to become this uber-b!tchy character who would dominate the house and stay for a long time despite polarizing the public. However, it wasn't too long before I realized that she was simply a supplement to Priya in their duo, and by herself, she really wasn't all that. When it came down to it, she really just ended up being another Lisa - not a particularly offensive character, but one that grated a bit on your nerves, making you indifferent as to whether she stayed or left.

With that said, I was a bit blindsided by her eviction, especially since it was so early and she and Priya had been at the center of the drama for days. I guess I was more surprised by Cat staying than anything, even receiving the most votes somehow (and I still have no clue how that happened). Once she was saved and Dion eliminated, it really seemed like a toss-up between everyone else, and Katie just happened to receive the short end of the stick. I would've been interested to see if she could have offered more as a character had she not been evicted, but I wasn't sad to see her go.

Hint for #16 - Jaws​

22 jake
21 gemma
20 Katie
19 dion
18 Tom
17 Richard
16 Lina
15 marina
14 Lisa
13 Sandra
12 aisha
11 Sam
10 cat
9 lawson
8 priya
7 Leo
6 Jason
5 Ryan
4 David
3 penny
2 travis
1 skye

22 Lina
21 Marina
20 Jake
19 Tom
18 Dion
17 Richard
16 Katie
15 Lisa
14 Jason
13 Cat
12 Gemma
11 Penny
10 Sandra
9 Sam
8 Lawson
7 Skye
6 Aisha
5 Leo
4 Travis
3 Priya
2 David
1 Ry-Ry (Ryan)

Sorry for no update yesterday, but the site kept crashing every time I tried to post it. Here it is.

#16...

Sam Bramham
17th Place

Big-Brother-Eviction-Interview-Paralympian-Sam-Bramham.jpg

Preference: 15/22
Impact: 15/22

Coming into the game, Sam was actually one of my initial favorites. He seemed quite cool and collected and like he could play the game quite well. From what we were shown, I quite liked his sense of humor as well (although it's been reported that he's much more crass than we got to see). I just liked the fact that he didn't seem to take himself too seriously on the show - his multiple behind the scenes pranks, the shark story, and the leg bitten-off by a kangaroo tale all evidenced this (and don't worry, not all Americans are that stupid :p).

However, he did seem to have a bit of an antagonistic side from time to time. I don't think he was intentionally malicious most of the time, but he did seem to lack a sense of social awareness on occasion. For instance, the Aisha incident. I do think she overreacted to it as it didn't look too awful, but there may have been some underlying factors there that made her react in that way, and I think Sam should've been more responsive to those possibilities, or at least to Aisha's feelings.

With that said, Sam's really only this low because of his short stay in the house. I think he could've done well if he lasted longer, but I think he was in the same boat as Dion in that this particular game wasn't exactly right for his type of personality.

Hint for #15 - A standout competitor in more ways than one...

Again, I'm sorry for the lack of updates. I'm just finishing my first semester of university and have been busier than usual, so updates may be a bit infrequent for another week or so. Anyway, here's #15...

Gemma Kinghorn
22nd Place

bb_web-qo6belqqtp35mbljvi2_fct1024x768x101.0_t460.jpg

Preference: 14/22
Impact: 16/22

Alright, so here we are - sorry, Gemma! Hope you still keep following along... :p

Anyway, at the start of the season, I was intrigued by Gemma. She seemed to be very fun and outspoken but not in an obnoxious way. However, I think this aspect of her personality was one of the factors which ultimately led to her downfall as the other contestants seemed to have a hard time relating to her. For instance, the paddling pool incident. As a viewer, I completely understood Gemma's intentions - from what I saw, her comment appeared to be more of an apology to Skye than anything for not giving her a chance at first. However, I do think Gemma's comment lacked a bit of social awareness as she should've known that it would be interpreted incorrectly because of her phrasing.

As far as her strategy goes, I understood what she was going for, and I do think she could've had some success with it had the public voted to save instead of the housemates the first week. From what I've observed from watching this show, it's almost always better to be polarizing than to be neutral, because if you're polarizing, you'll still have fans who will be willing to send votes your way, while neutral does not get you votes. Like I mentioned, it was ultimately the format of the first eviction that screwed Gemma over - I think there's a definite chance she would've survived if it was up to the Australian public, possibly making it a long way as well. However, even if her strategy would've seen success initially, it probably would not have worked long term since at the end of the competition, you can't really afford to have detractors since they will vote to save other people just to get you out. I think that could've very well happened to Gemma had she lasted longer.

With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed the two weeks we got of Gemma - even though she was the first to leave, she made much more use of her two weeks in the house than many others this season did with longer stays, so for that, I give her props.

Hint for #14 - Not the chosen one this time.​

22 Marina
21 Lina
20 Leo
19 Priya
18 Tom
17 Cat
16 Jake
15 Lawson
14 Sandra
13 Lisa
12 Katie
11 Gemma
10 Sam
9 Aisha
8 Dion
7 Jason
6 Richard
5 Travis
4 Skye
3 Penny
2 David
1 Ryan

Alright, since my break has basically started already, the rest of these updates should be pretty consistent.

Rankings so far:

22. Tom Mackay
21. Marina Rakovskaia
20. Jake Richardson
19. Dion Kallis
18. Lisa Clark
17. Katie Schepis
16. Sam Bramham
15. Gemma Kinghorn

#14...

Richard Hordern-Gibbings
9th Place

548262-ac3f6892-5e2f-11e4-9c68-d403f5dcc36d.jpg

Preference: 7/22
Impact: 19/22

I bet a lot of you are wondering why Richard is this high on my ranking when I ranked fellow intruder Tom last. For me, Richard had a few factors in his favor. For one, I found him quite likable and intelligent, both of which I always value in players. I think it's a shame that he wasn't an original because he didn't have time to show off these qualities and earn a fanbase. Unfortunately, the way this competition works, it's essentially impossible to be an intruder, have a mellow personality like Richard or Marina, and last more than a couple of weeks. While I don't think he ever would've won, it would've been great to see what he could truly bring to the game.

Secondly, he seemed quite socially aware and savvy, particularly in his interviews after the show. This kind of ties into the last paragraph as it's unfortunate that he didn't have time to show this off, either. I think he probably would've done better on another show where a big personality isn't essential to get you to the end, but I did enjoy the two weeks he was there.

Hint for #13 - Immigrant​

Back