Skip to main content

...Long Lost Family...

Mr Stickyfingers

an old fart that rants at times...
Awesome site donor
...I taped this for my darling wife and ended up watching it too... a show that I would normally never bother to watch because I knew that it would be a big blubberfest... and it was... and I did... even though I am so tough and macho it reduced me to tearing up a tad... it was pretty good... it was always going to be a 'feel good' show with plenty of blubbering but jeez... it get's you in... is anyone else watching this show on Channel 10?... cheers.

Yes I caught this show as well, you just know they are setting you up for that poignant moment, but I definitely fell for it too. I'm such a sucker for anything like this! Whether I actively watch it each week remains to be seen, but I did enjoy the first ep - even if they did manipulate me into feeling real human emotions!!

I am friends with a lady who went on the UK version of this many years ago. She suffered terribly afterwards. She was 18 when she did it. Once that can of worms is open it's damn hard to put the lid back on. It was all emotional and great on the tv but there was a lot of emotional issues that came up afterwards. The birth mother had massive problems with addiction and she caused lots of problems for my friend and her adoptive parents.

I am adopted but I have never felt like I needed to search for my birth mother as she was only 15 when she had me. I know why she put me up for adoption, she was too young and it wasn't like it is now where young mothers aren't outcast by society. My parents always told me from a very early age that another woman grew me for them. My parents are my parents... that's it. I definitely don't need or want to open that can of worms. I can understand why people feel the need to find someone with a genetic resemblance though. I only really felt and experienced that when I had my daughter and it was a strange feeling after never really experiencing anything like that before... so I get it.

I have a close relative who, for various severe health reasons, gave her only child up for adoption when she was a young teenager, back in the sixties (so like the show Love Child). Ever since, she has lived with guilt over that, but an overriding fear that they will find her someday. She feels that the book is best left closed, and that it would only open up further heartbreak.

I am friends with a lady who went on the UK version of this many years ago. She suffered terribly afterwards. She was 18 when she did it. Once that can of worms is open it's damn hard to put the lid back on. It was all emotional and great on the tv but there was a lot of emotional issues that came up afterwards. The birth mother had massive problems with addiction and she caused lots of problems for my friend and her adoptive parents.

I am adopted but I have never felt like I needed to search for my birth mother as she was only 15 when she had me. I know why she put me up for adoption, she was too young and it wasn't like it is now where young mothers aren't outcast by society. My parents always told me from a very early age that another woman grew me for them. My parents are my parents... that's it. I definitely don't need or want to open that can of worms. I can understand why people feel the need to find someone with a genetic resemblance though. I only really felt and experienced that when I had my daughter and it was a strange feeling after never really experiencing anything like that before... so I get it.
I am adopted too and always knew right from the start, which I believe is the way it should be for all children. I can't ever understand why you would hide it.
I have thought about trying to find mine but more for health,genetic reasons but my brother went down that path and it was a horrible experience. There really aren't that many happy endings unfortunately.
I had the same feeling when I had my daughter too.

I am adopted too and always knew right from the start, which I believe is the way it should be for all children. I can't ever understand why you would hide it.
I have thought about trying to find mine but more for health,genetic reasons but my brother went down that path and it was a horrible experience. There really aren't that many happy endings unfortunately.
I had the same feeling when I had my daughter too.

Yes I think the younger you know the more you just accept it & deal with it. I lost my first born to a genetic condition. I had him when I was 16... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree huh. Because it was such a serious condition they had to find my birth mother to explore the medical history and I was asked if I wanted to be involved or not. I decided not to be involved but they did tell me that I had a brother. I was surprised about that due to the genetic disease my son died of (it only affected males, females were the carriers). It must have skipped a generation, which i'm happy for them of course... but i'm still not interested in knowing them. My life is my life and i'm happy with my lot.

It's such a bizarre feeling when you've lived a life without feeling a genetic connection and then you have one. I mean, I never realised I didn't have it (you don't miss it if you've never known it kinda thing) until my daughter came along. I'm sorry to hear that your brother had a horrible experience. Sounds like you are a great family though and it's who raises you and loves you at your worst and enjoys your success and loves you for being you ,is what's more important. I hope he has found peace :)

I have a close relative who, for various severe health reasons, gave her only child up for adoption when she was a young teenager, back in the sixties (so like the show Love Child). Ever since, she has lived with guilt over that, but an overriding fear that they will find her someday. She feels that the book is best left closed, and that it would only open up further heartbreak.

:( that's so sad. It's awful to think that people live with that fear & guilt all their life. She is only doing what she felt & still feels was the right thing to do. She really has nothing to feel guilty for, but that's easy for me to say. x

I'm also adopted.

I met my bio-dad when I was 22. He found me. We've gotten along pretty well since then and he lives in Queensland with his family. He's always kept in touch with my bio-mum and I met her when I was about 26 or so. That went ok at first but she was always more interested in her 2 kids - my half brother and sister and then when Dani had her kids... well, she moved down to Dunsborough to be near them and didn't even tell me she was moving. She never really accepted my relationship to my now wife Raisa who is a) older than me, b) has her own child - my step daughter now and c) is from the Ukraine.

I don't miss her very much.

As far as this TV show is concerned, it should be yanked from the air until the TV channel is prepared to accept the consequences and responsibility for the fallout and after-math that they create once the cameras are turned off. It's just WRONG!

But that'll never happen. I'm sure everyone had to sign extensive disclaimers and not-responsibles before going on air.

Wow so interesting reading people's stories on here!! I had considered that it's not a happily ever after once the cameras stop rolling but I hadn't really considered the specifics. I wonder if it's a similar experience for the parents in these scenarios versus the offspring. Either way, yes, the show is manipulative of viewers and exploitive of those who appear on it, I guess it does fulfil it's goal though - I'd love to see the contracts they sign!

Back