Skip to main content

Is Ben a good gay role model?

eye

Practice safe sexting :)
I've read both points of view. That he is, and that he isn't.

I've only got one thing to say about it, and that is that if a gay man is to win BB and I'm sure it will happen one day, is that that person shows a broad tolerance to the whole spectrum of the human condition.

That they understand that there are all sorts of weird people out there, and that no other human deserves to be dismissed as "a thing".

I think Ben has failed this crucial test of tolerance. That he has shown intolerance at someone who is different to him.

This I feel is why he isn't the one to win it for the gay community as a whole. If he wins it will be a Pyrhhic victory, since Australia would have got its first gay winner; but it would also have gotten its first prick winner.

Just my 0.02c

I don't think he's a good role model for a human being in general, gay or otherwise.

Backstabbing, compulsive lying, disingenuous, jobless drama queen.

"Oh but he so funny lololol"

No thanks.

I've only got one thing to say about it, and that is that if a gay man is to win BB and I'm sure it will happen one day, is that that person shows a broad tolerance to the whole spectrum of the human condition.

You are on a roll tonight.

He isn't a role model, but then again, he didn't enter the competition to be a role model for others. Don't know why his sexuality even has anything to do with the winner of the competition. Whether straight, gay, if you're a deserving winner then that's that.

Margie won TBL 2011.

I don't think he's a good role model for a human being in general, gay or otherwise.

No thanks.

A more eloquent version of this.

He's not a good role model for anyone. His sexuality has nothing to do with it.

Benjamin has a fulltime job, he is National Account Manager for a major company.

I stand corrected.

Though I wager his clients will be concerned about his admitted penchant for compulsive lying.

No matter, he'll land a media gig somewhere.

If he wins it will be a Pyrhhic victory, since Australia would have got its first gay winner; but it would also have gotten its first prick winner.

Oz's 1st female PM and the USofA's 1st "non white" Prez have both been massive let downs (to say the least).

On the bright side though, such disappointments or "fails" do help establish a basis / foundation for future comparison.

regarDS

I thought he lost every job he had ever had, wasnt that his secret?

Remember he is a compulsive liar, so he may have lied about losing every job he has had.

Or he may having been lying about being a compulsive liar.

Ben is just a guy you know? Seriously, it is not his job to be a role model for anybody. As a HM, I will not vote for him now, because Estelle is my fave. Weeks ago I said that I would vote if Ben or Mike were up. Turns out, when it came down to it, I wouldn't vote for either of them. Estelle is my girl. My own housemate is gay. I don't think he or any other gay person needs a role model. I know Ben was not his fave. (He is away for the Melbourne Cup weekend, so I can not ask him who his favourite is now that Sam is gone (yes I know the incredibly buff guy is too obvious for the gay guy to like, but hey, even I admit Sam is hot))

I still stand by what I have said previously - if Ben weren't gay, he probably would have been evicted weeks ago, but who knows. I lost alot of respect for Ben, as a person, after witnessing his many faceless antics. It's a shame really... I can no longer say "I want Estelle to win, but would be happy if Ben won". Of course I would be happy, in general, for whoever wins (it is only a realty show after all), but I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I've read both points of view. That he is, and that he isn't.

That they understand that there are all sorts of weird people out there, and that no other human deserves to be dismissed as "a thing".

I think Ben has failed this crucial test of tolerance. That he has shown intolerance at someone who is different to him.

This I feel is why he isn't the one to win it for the gay community as a whole. If he wins it will be a Pyrhhic victory, since Australia would have got its first gay winner; but it would also have gotten its first prick winner.

Just my 0.02c

Too late.

We already had the Logan twin.

And I am not totally convinced he was straight either!

No thanks.

EXACTLY how I feel.

Thank you!!!

There is this dumb woman at work(real bogan redneck)who keeps saying to me, "I DON'T understand why you aren't on Ben's side,. since you are gay as well?!?"

I feel like saying - "You're straight so does that mean you would support the Kardashians?"

I don't like horrible people and Ben is just VILE.

It isn't fair to base someone as a role model due to their sexuality.

Was Michael a good hetrosexual role model? What about the others. Would Estelle be more likely to win if she was a lesbian?

How about judge him as just whether or not he is a good role model as a person - in no relation to his sexuality. I think Ben tries his best to be a good person - or at least believes he is. Obviously Ben has his flaws, but then again everyone does. From what has been depicted on TV I'd say he is a good role model - sometimes. Then other times he's...Brenda. Ben would still be there if he was gay, straight, asexual or bisexual. It doesn't matter.

We happen to be at a point, right now, in the world, where sexuality is SORT OF becoming a non-taboo subject. I say sort of, because the whole thing is still in progress, gay marriage is still being debated, gay bashings happen regularly, gay suicides are not yet a thing of the past etc. Some parts of the world are more advanced than others. It's the '-ism' of our generation (just as racism and sexism have been before), and we are JUST getting to the point where it's okay to talk about it. I mean, as a world society.

Ben is on a reality TV show which is essentially a popularity contest in which (mostly younger) people vote. Unfortunately the role model moniker is going to rest on his shoulders no matter what, because he is a minority in the house in terms of sexuality. He is the 'other' in this respect. People will still look at Ben and call him 'the gay one' because the broad spectrum of sexuality is not yet normalised. Much like, 50 years ago, people would call someone who was African American 'the black one'...or even how a startling percentage of Australian people will typify an Aboriginal person by the fact that they're Aboriginal.

I agree that Ben's sexuality isn't what defines him. But in a show like this where people are reduced down to characters that don't encompass every single facet of their personality, he will be typified as the gay one. Fair enough, not just the gay one. Perhaps the gay, funny, bitchy, [insert opinion here] one.

The reason he has to be a role-model is because he represents a minority community that needs representing as it's constantly under attack. That's basically it. He has that responsibility, whether he asked for it or not.

Anyway, I think as far as being a role model for gay people, he's done okay. He's comfortable with his sexuality and honest about who he is. As a role model for humans in general... well that's a completely different story! I'm not really a fan!

Benjamin has a fulltime job, he is National Account Manager for a major company.

That's bullshit, he works for a internet based coupon company that's been in business for less than 3 years. If he was a national account manager for a major company he wouldn't waste his time being on BB as he would be earning the money he desperately wants to win. He would easily be earning $250K plus a year of that were the case.

Gay or straight has nothing to do with it.

To depersonalise or devalue a human being by referring to them as a 'thing' simply because you don't understand them shows arrogance and a lack of respect for the feelings of others. Nasty, petty, immature man

Last edited:
Back