Skip to main content

Interesting Documentaries

pecan

Awesome site donor
Following from the convo here, I thought I'd make a doco thread.

The ABC has one up at the moment (Recipe For Murder) about a series of thallium poisonings in Sydney in the 1950s:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/771586

It details the crimes of Yvonne Fletcher, a battered wife, Caroline Grills, a seemingly kind old grandmother who wasn't all there, and Veronica Monty who tried to kill her son-in-law after seducing him. Up for another 10 days if you're interested.

^^ looks interesting.

Pecan, people at work were talking about the ABC poisoning doco, I'm going to give it a watch.

I have seen a few docos lately, most recently WAL-MART The High Cost of Low Price, basically about how Walmart ruining small towns, putting mum and dad shops out of business and also about the employees trying to survive on the truly shockingingly low wages Wal-mart is paying them. Worth a watch.

[youtubevid]hiSmlmXp-aU[/youtubevid]

Also on my list to watch are:

Art and Copy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1333631/

Requiem for Detroit
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1572190/

Last edited:
I like the docos that ABC2 plays on Wednesday nights, you usually get some really good stuff there.

An oldie but a goodie is "Grey Gardens" about two, not all there, society ladies in the Hamptons.

Hot Docs on SBS usually has good stuff too.

It's awhile since I was here but try to track down Erasing David. Director David Bond finds out how much private companies and government know about him by attempting to disappear. Tracked by two ruthless private investigators (hired by himself), his chilling journey forces him to contemplate the loss of privacy.

I saw that advertised or written up somewhere recently (maybe itunes?) and thought it sounded good, let me know if you track it down.

I am currently enjoying Time Team on the History channel. Learning alot about how people used to live.

My friend is in love with the guy on Time Team, I think Tony Robinson. She found out the village he lived in and sent a fan letter to the local pub there, Tony answered, with a 4 page hand written letter and a signed photo. :)

Thanks for the link Pecan.

It's awhile since I was here but try to track down Erasing David. Director David Bond finds out how much private companies and government know about him by attempting to disappear. Tracked by two ruthless private investigators (hired by himself), his chilling journey forces him to contemplate the loss of privacy.

I just had a watch of it, it's a worry, but what can you do?

I am currently enjoying Time Team on the History channel. Learning alot about how people used to live.

I like Time Team too, my Mum introduced me to it a while back. It's amazing how much they can tell from little fragments of pottery.

Time Team is my FAVOURITE show! And since reading Eliza's post I think I might start stalking Tony Robinson.....

I highly recommend these 2,

Especially for those who like to think outside the box away from the norm on these topics (something policy makers and current business model pretend they cant do and refuse to do)

The Blue Economy

Gunter Pauli has a dream. The Belgian economist and entrepreneur has a plan to develop 100 manufacturing innovations with viable business models that could generate 100 million jobs in 10 years. All with zero emissions and no waste.

He calls it "The Blue Economy" with innovations covering the full gamut of industrial activity, from energy to mining, from medicine to banking ... all of it inspired by science and biometrics. And Pauli isn't all talk ... there's plenty of action in the many startup-style projects around the globe funded by his organisation Zero Emissions Research and Initiative, which is now a global network.

Memorable achievements include recycling coffee waste for mushroom farming, making biodegradable detergent from discarded citrus peel, and the conversion of petrol stations into 'charge stations' for electric cars.

His talk at Sydney University for Sydney Ideas is titled: "The Blue Economy: 10 Years, 100 Innovations, 100 Million Jobs".

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2011/08/16/3293620.htm

Click "watch full clip" left hand side for the presentation/doc

Saul Griffith: Living in the Future <-- Aussie

Saul Griffith is yet to turn 40, but already boasts a prolific career as an inventor and energy entrepreneur. Amongst his nifty creations is a hand-held person-powered generator to charge mobile phones and laptops, a new method of producing cheap corrective lenses and his own line of kite-surfing equipment

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2011/07/05/3260618.htm

Click "watch full clip" left hand side for the presentation

The one that was recently on channel 9 "Inside The Human Body" by the BBC that was pretty cool and had lots of animations... I quite liked that. Reminds me of when I was a kid in the 70s there were lots of these kind of docos on TV back then. I just lapped them all up and watched them all.

It's a shame commercial TV has become somewhat dumber and you have to look on the ABC or SBS for docos..

Last night they had one about the Universe on SBS

You can usually find docs online via torrent sites or google/youtube videos etc I think lol

For Example

I once watched a documentary on SBS

The Future of Food? Are we facing a global food crisis?
We take our food for granted

Some of the aussies on another online instant communication site were discussing it, non australians were present and they managed to find the documentary online to watch it

Oh btw thats another fantastic documentary to watch too, the second part of the documentary explores different approaches, a new way, different thinking and application... again something our policy makers and current business model dont really go for haha

Also most of the shops that sell ABC DVD's often also sell SBS DVD's. From memory Dymocks sells SBS stuff.

Kats, just looking for part one of the Department store doco, fingers crossed I find it, looks good

Back