Skip to main content

HEALTH & FITNESS

kxk

SAPIOSEXUAL
'One in every two Australians has a chronic disease, however roughly one third of these diseases are preventable,'

A place to post some of the amazing medical discoveries being made, and your health issues, and fitness efforts.
Plenty of posters have medical/health issues and we may have stuff in common, have helpful tips articles, whatever.
Our local community has just held 2 weeks of free workshops that have inspired me, great stuff from our local council.
I got to try so much it was wonderful. Tai chi, meditation, dance all kinds of positive stuff.

Publication of - The Australian Health Tracker, inspired this thread. Amazing, check it out here -

http://www.atlasesaustralia.com.au/ahpc/
http://www.atlasesaustralia.com.au/ahpc/aust-health-tracker-area.html

http://www.atlasesaustralia.com.au/ahpc/atlas/atlas.html?indicator=i0

It is brilliant. You can see what your area is up to, too many drunks???

Byron Bay is the booziest, while Pinjarra is the plumpest: Australia's healthiest (and unhealthiest) cities revealed - so what does your postcode say about you?
  • Australian health trackers map reveals the unhealthiest postcodes
  • Figures reveals rates of high blood pressure and risk of chronic diseases
  • The results have revealed the wealthiest postcodes are the healthiest
  • Byron Bay is the binge drinking capital, Pinjarra is the most overweight
Australia's fattest, heaviest drinking and most tobacco abusive cities have been laid bare in a national health report card report.

Byron Bay in NSW is the nation's binge drinking capital, Hobart in Tasmania has the highest percentage of smokers and WA's Pinjarra is the most overweight postcode, according to the Australia's Health Trackers map.

The figures shed light on the broader rates of high blood pressure and risk of chronic diseases, with the results showing the wealthiest postcodes are the healthiest.

West Australians have relatively low rates of high blood pressure, at 9.3 per cent; Tasmania is soaring with 12.1 per cent have high blood pressure; and the Northern Territory has the highest rates of diabetes in the country at 7.1 per cent.

The sunshine state, Queensland, has topped the table for a high rates of obesity, 30.4 per cent, in Australia.

Launched in Melbourne on Thursday, it was developed by the Australian Health Policy Collaboration at Victoria University (VU) with the Public Health Information and Development Unit at Torrens University.

By tracking localised data on specific risk factors, such as smoking, alcohol intake obesity and blood pressure, it's aimed at reducing the alarming rates of chronic diseases.

'One in every two Australians has a chronic disease, however roughly one third of these diseases are preventable,' said Ms Calder.

The latest data on adults living with diabetes shows Victoria has the best 10 local government areas with the lowest rates in the country.

Affluent, or wealthier, regions - like the Sydney suburb of Ku-Ring-Gai - are the healthiest in the nation.

Global public health expert, Professor Maximillian de Courten from VU says one pattern that has clearly emerged from the tracker is that the 'wealthier postcodes are healthier postcodes.'

'There is a social gradient when it comes to Australia's biggest killers like cancers, heart diseases and stroke and their risk factors like smoking and obesity' Prof de Courten said.

He hopes by localising such 'abstract' data communities and neighbourhoods will be able to turn it into action to better their health, by looking at access to cycle paths or questioning the number of fast food outlets in their suburb.

Ticks, ick, ever been attacked by ticks?

I had one in WA on my stomach, you could see it borrowing, gross - luckily my partner knew to suffocate it first, he used butter, died and flick it off.
Catalyst says with Eastern states ticks, you should freeze it with wart off, wait 10 mins for it to die, then flick it.
Otherwise you squeeze poison into you, and can have long term effects that are nasty.

Ticks, ick, ever been attacked by ticks?

I had one in WA on my stomach, you could see it borrowing, gross - luckily my partner knew to suffocate it first, he used butter, died and flick it off.
Catalyst says with Eastern states ticks, you should freeze it with wart off, wait 10 mins for it to die, then flick it.
Otherwise you squeeze poison into you, and can have long term effects that are nasty.

i've never been attacked by a tick.

but mosquitoes love my skin.

Eww

Removing Your Pubic Hair Is Linked To A Heightened Risk Of STIs

The Question: Does waxing, plucking or shaving your pubic hair come with added risk for sexually transmitted infections?

Yes, according to new research that links the frequency of pubic grooming with the added risk of certain sexually transmitted infections.

The new study, which surveyed 7,580 nationally representative adults across the U.S., finds that people who practice “extreme grooming” ― removing all of their pubic hair more than 11 times per year ― or “high frequency” grooming ― trimming pubic hair daily or weekly ― have a 3.5- to four-fold heightened risk for contracting herpes, HPV and syphilis compared to those who had never groomed their pubes.

........any level of grooming between zero and 11 ― had double the risk of lice infestation compared to those who never groomed.

Can a hi-tech plaster stop fatal blood clots that cause strokes and heart attacks? A new patch 'turbocharges' the body's blood-thinning molecules, making its defences more effective
  • Millions are already taking tablets containing heparin to reduce the risk of clots
  • The new patch automatically injects the same drug through miniature needles
  • This prevents patients from taking too much, which can cause fatal bleeding

Ahigh-tech skin patch could prevent deadly blood clots that cause strokes and heart attacks.
The patch detects when a clot is in danger of developing and automatically releases a blood thinner into the bloodstream in time to stop it.
Researchers said early results suggest the patch is faster and more effective than injecting the drug, or taking it orally. The team now plan to run studies testing the patch on patients.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-making-defences-effective.html#ixzz4SffIIRsl

Can a hi-tech plaster stop fatal blood clots that cause strokes and heart attacks? A new patch 'turbocharges' the body's blood-thinning molecules, making its defences more effective
  • Millions are already taking tablets containing heparin to reduce the risk of clots
  • The new patch automatically injects the same drug through miniature needles
  • This prevents patients from taking too much, which can cause fatal bleeding

Ahigh-tech skin patch could prevent deadly blood clots that cause strokes and heart attacks.
The patch detects when a clot is in danger of developing and automatically releases a blood thinner into the bloodstream in time to stop it.
Researchers said early results suggest the patch is faster and more effective than injecting the drug, or taking it orally. The team now plan to run studies testing the patch on patients.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-making-defences-effective.html#ixzz4SffIIRsl

oh i hope that works.

Back tonight...

Michael Mosley: Trust Me, I'm A Doctor

'Series 5, Episode 1'

SBS, 7:30pm, Mon, 9 Jan 2017, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

In this brand new season of Trust Me, I'm A Doctor, Michael Mosley and his team go behind the headlines to give the definitive answers to health questions.

Michael Mosley

Series, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Real Life, Medical

Apple cider vinegar - reduces cholesterol
My Mum used to make us drink this stuff

Oh great

Human appendix DOES serve a purpose: Supposedly pointless organ 'could be vital for storing good gut bacteria'
  • The appendix is thought of as pointless, and is removed without concerns
  • But new study shows the organ has evolved to develop more lymphatic tissue
  • Lymphatic tissue is key for stimulating some types of beneficial gut bacteria

3C01A1BE00000578-4103846-image-m-24_1484006515837.jpg

Anyone else without an appendix and beginning to wonder about new theories?

Strange our family has had 5 of us need the appendix removed, and at age 9 I was told it was once used to digest grass, and that rabbits have very big appendix.

Oh great

Human appendix DOES serve a purpose: Supposedly pointless organ 'could be vital for storing good gut bacteria'
  • The appendix is thought of as pointless, and is removed without concerns
  • But new study shows the organ has evolved to develop more lymphatic tissue
  • Lymphatic tissue is key for stimulating some types of beneficial gut bacteria

3C01A1BE00000578-4103846-image-m-24_1484006515837.jpg

Anyone else without an appendix and beginning to wonder about new theories?

Strange our family has had 5 of us need the appendix removed, and at age 9 I was told it was once used to digest grass, and that rabbits have very big appendix.

I still have my appendix. I think. I don't think anyone has stolen my appendix.

Reactions: kxk
Tasted yuck, we were teenagers, not sure what it was supposed to do for us.
But must say Mum was well ahead of her time as health nut, lots of her research and advice proved to be good.
She was big on health foods, vitamins & yoga.
And she was a greeny long before it was fashionable.
We were the only ones in our street with a forest, and everyone complained - we were the crazy family on the corner, with too many kids & messy trees.

Tasted yuck, we were teenagers, not sure what it was supposed to do for us.
But must say Mum was well ahead of her time as health nut, lots of her research and advice proved to be good.
She was big on health foods, vitamins & yoga.
And she was a greeny long before it was fashionable.
We were the only ones in our street with a forest, and everyone complained - we were the crazy family on the corner, with too many kids & messy trees.

i like the visual of messy trees.

i like the fact that your mum was very health conscious.

Yeah, we were considered to be like Ma & Pa Kettle movies, have you seen them?
Kids running wild, that was us, council would bug us to cut down our messy trees.
Willows had to go as they did rip up the footpaths.
If we did chop something, it was exciting for the whole neighbourhood of kids, playing in the chopped tree before it got carted away.

And then Mum would bug the council right back, to plant some trees you fools, we need shade and breathing trees.
Best thing Mum ever taught us, fight for your rights, stand up and complain and bug authorities. She changed the world in her own small ways.
Changed school uniforms with her complaints - not suited to Aussie summers, designed for poms

Yeah, we were considered to be like Ma & Pa Kettle movies, have you seen them?
Kids running wild, that was us, council would bug us to cut down our messy trees.
Willows had to go as they did rip up the footpaths.
If we did chop something, it was exciting for the whole neighbourhood of kids, playing in the chopped tree before it got carted away.

And then Mum would bug the council right back, to plant some trees you fools, we need shade and breathing trees.
Best thing Mum ever taught us, fight for your rights, stand up and complain and bug authorities. She changed the world in her own small ways.
Changed school uniforms with her complaints - not suited to Aussie summers, designed for poms

No, i haven't seen the ma and pa kettle movies.

Back