Skip to main content

Gran Hermano Sex Assault Case

Brekkie

Staff member
I'll post this without too much comment but a "sexual abuse" case in Spain raises all sorts of questions about the ethics of producing a show like Big Brother. I think the producers made a huge mistake of not letting the victim control the situation once they were made aware of it, but they absolutely had no choice but to eject the perpetrator.

The fact that they informed her in a filmed diary room visit shows they have little understanding of where the entertainment needs to end and their responsibility begin.

The fact that they informed her in a filmed diary room visit shows they have little understanding of where the entertainment needs to end and their responsibility begin.
Totally agree, she should have been met by a producer and counsellor in a private room, told what had occurred first, before showing her the video.

I wonder if they have the new AI editing system instead of live stream editors, which could explain why no-one seems to have picked up what happened when it was actually happening.

For me it was taking away her choices in the situation, both in her request to talk to the perpetrator and her request to talk to her friends. Now in the former case they could argue they were protecting her, but is that the producers decision to make? In the latter case they were clearly more concerned about protecting the show than the well being of the victim.

Gran Hermano has lost over 30 advertisers for it's current series since news of this broke, meaning their last eviction show had to air commercial free.

Last edited:
Back