Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

Heeeeeellllooooooo

is there anybody in here?

Ya?

I need some opinions & I know there are always a ton of differing views round this place.

So, my lil miss is a month away from turning 14 & she is slim built (like me) and my mother & her other grandma (technically an aunty, but the kids call her grandma) have really ramped up these past few months on what she does & does not eat. I've told my own mother off, to leave her alone, she is fine etc etc . This is a text from my mother...………… " She hasn't had anything to eat all day and has only had two mouthfuls of fluid. I just worry she'll collapse one day and end up in hospital on a drip. Just letting you know but don't tell her I texted you or she'll be mad at me"...…….. She sent this at 12.20pm, hardly even lunch time!!!!

The other one is sneeking extra food onto her plate & forcing her to eat big breakfast. My lil miss won't let me sort this g'ma out at this stage. We did agree that I'd tell the grandma that she had eaten breaky already (even though I know that's a lie)

So what I want to know is, how many here actually eat breakfast?? and how many parents would force breakfast into their teenagers?

I grew up with warped views (my mothers issues) and I swore I wouldn't do that to my kids. Now I guess I'm 2nd guessing what the fuck is normal & what isn't. When I talk with my miss (and her lil bro too, cos I know they are messing with his image too) I just say it's pretty simple, eat when you are hungry and don't eat when you are not. You are perfectly fine & exactly how you're meant to be. We know you best & we aren't concerened (we meaning me & her dad).

Help me y'all....................:kiss:
I eat breakfast every day.

When my son was growing up we would eat breakfast together while sitting at the table, during that time the seed was planted that breakfast is an important meal, it breaks the fast from your nights sleep blah blah. Simple choices were offered in the forms of scrambled eggs or cereal. When he got to high school it was always a must, not exactly forced more a habit.

That said as a grown man he no longer eats breakfast and he survives.

No child with a healthy relationship with food will ever die malnourished in Australia. A doctor once told me that when I was certain my two year old chubba wasn’t eating enough to survive. Like others have said, just keep an eye to make sure her relationship with food is healthy.

Its important to remember you get to choose what you make “issues”. You can’t control or change x2 grandmas and the way they think, but control how you respond to it. Rather than make it an issue, you could make it a private joke telling your girl you feel per pain as they followed you with a piece of toast and a handful of muesli while screaming “eat EATTTTTT” when you were a kid too. They mean well. Be good to both look into the science of what the body needs to function and develop too ie sugar, protein carbs etc.

GOOOD MOANIN OT THREAD!!!

OMGGGG How good does this place look?

We can click, like, love, haha etc.

so fancy!!! :D

Can someone pm me how da fug do I post a gif again in here. I've lost my abilities. And can someone send me a waaaamulance while they're at it? :p

• Love
Reactions: Tee
We can click, like, love, haha etc.

so fancy!!! :D

Can someone pm me how da fug do I post a gif again in here. I've lost my abilities. And can someone send me a waaaamulance while they're at it? :p

oh my god we can too!

Well it won’t be me.

i could never get the hang of gifs.

Tricky. I suspect lots of us eat more than we need to. I am sure I do. I have only recently discovered that I don’t NEED to eat breakfast - or for that matter other meals - if I am not hungry and I will still be just fine. And people have different metabolisms. And I’ve met a few people over the years like qtkt’s husband who only really eat one proper big meal a day. Having said that though Teenagers/growing kids probably need more frequency than that. But people ARE different.

oh my god we can too!

Well it won’t be me.

i could never get the hang of gifs.

1572314382840.png

Yah girl, we know you no speak the gif. I just am devo I've lost my special powers. I will persevere tho!

Tricky. I suspect lots of us eat more than we need to. I am sure I do. I have only recently discovered that I don’t NEED to eat breakfast - or for that matter other meals - if I am not hungry and I will still be just fine. And people have different metabolisms. And I’ve met a few people over the years like qtkt’s husband who only really eat one proper big meal a day. Having said that though Teenagers/growing kids probably need more frequency than that. But people ARE different.

Thanks @Mooseface for sharing. The hard part is working out the right balance for each person, rather then what is the typical society "norm". I do, however need to start working on quality over quantitiy. I must admit i'm bad in the fruit department, veggies, meat & salad we do well. Hmmmmm gunna have to start looking into making fruit taste half decent :p :D

Thanks @Mooseface for sharing. The hard part is working out the right balance for each person, rather then what is the typical society "norm". I do, however need to start working on quality over quantitiy. I must admit i'm bad in the fruit department, veggies, meat & salad we do well. Hmmmmm gunna have to start looking into making fruit taste half decent :p :D
Persimmons. They taste interesting. You don‘t like fruit, huh. Figs? I like squashy fruits - squashy fruits taste quite good I find.... Mangoes. Raspberries. Cherries?

Peaches. Custard apple? They are a bit weird but interesting. Feijoa?
Horrendous things. Feijoas that is. We had a tree next to our driveway and the fallen ones got run over by the car which was awful. Smelled too. I can't do figs either as the huge Moreton Bay figs in Fawkner Park fall and get stuck in shoes and are icky, lol.

Horrendous things. Feijoas that is. We had a tree next to our driveway and the fallen ones got run over by the car which was awful. Smelled too. I can't do figs either as the huge Moreton Bay figs in Fawkner Park fall and get stuck in shoes and are icky, lol.

When I was a kid we had a mulberry tree/shrub. No one ever got around to eating them, but they made a hell of a mess staining the concrete.

well I was more meaning eating them than trampling on them and smearing them all over the place...!

😮
I love feijoas ... mum has a huge tree in her backyard in NZ and when they have just fallen from the tree they are delicious... have caved and paid $2 for one at Woolies over here and lived to regret it as it was bland and tasteless
We’ve planted one in our backyard and after 4 years finally its flowering but the 2nd one we bought has a few years to go before it will flower and we might get some fruit finally ... can’t wait 🌻

my niece lives up in Taree area with her partner and their two young children ... we’ve been very worried about them as they live out of town on a rented property close to bushland
She posted a vague ‘we’re surrounded ... house is touch and go ... we’re ok’ on facebook yesterday but nothing more other than to tell a friend ‘noone can get in’
Husband called his brother this morning to see if he could tell us her exact location and had to leave a message ... we were both really shocked when he broke down leaving the message. He had been ok until I started voicing concern (after watching and reading news reports from up that way) ... but suddenly the worry about her, her sons, how his brother was coping with the worry about his daughter and grandsons just really hit him like a ton of bricks. I did get hold of her and talked briefly - she is in town with her boys and safe but hasnt heard from her partner since 4 on Thursday ... he’s been helping fight fire
Once I had talked with her we both felt relieved ... but now husband is acting as if him showing the emotions he did is something to be ashamed of ... guess this is a product of his upbringing .. and the good ole ‘big boys dont cry’ BS he grew up with

😕

my niece lives up in Taree area with her partner and their two young children ... we’ve been very worried about them as they live out of town on a rented property close to bushland
She posted a vague ‘we’re surrounded ... house is touch and go ... we’re ok’ on facebook yesterday but nothing more other than to tell a friend ‘noone can get in’
Husband called his brother this morning to see if he could tell us her exact location and had to leave a message ... we were both really shocked when he broke down leaving the message. He had been ok until I started voicing concern (after watching and reading news reports from up that way) ... but suddenly the worry about her, her sons, how his brother was coping with the worry about his daughter and grandsons just really hit him like a ton of bricks. I did get hold of her and talked briefly - she is in town with her boys and safe but hasnt heard from her partner since 4 on Thursday ... he’s been helping fight fire
Once I had talked with her we both felt relieved ... but now husband is acting as if him showing the emotions he did is something to be ashamed of ... guess this is a product of his upbringing .. and the good ole ‘big boys dont cry’ BS he grew up with

😕

Big hugs to you & yours @crimmy . Shock truly is a crazy thing. Tell your man that real men DO cry and it's Love that he is feeling which is not an embarrassing emotion. Good to hear your niece & kids are OK, i'm sending good vibes her fire-fighting partners way.

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting sooooo frustrated, sad & annoyed with our "government" and their lack of doing anything at a grass roots level. These fires are insane :cry:

Big hugs to you & yours @crimmy . Shock truly is a crazy thing. Tell your man that real men DO cry and it's Love that he is feeling which is not an embarrassing emotion. Good to hear your niece & kids are OK, i'm sending good vibes her fire-fighting partners way.

I don't know about you guys, but I am getting sooooo frustrated, sad & annoyed with our "government" and their lack of doing anything at a grass roots level. These fires are insane :cry:
Sadly Australia was born to burn. I’m not really sure how the government can really do anything to stop it.

The thought of wildlife burning is so heartbreaking. The footage we have seen of confused and injured koalas has been so upsetting.

123 back to me, last week I was doing a night shift, and you could smell smoke inside the hospital, a couple of us went outside to check it out and there was a bushfire less than 5 minutes away which was caused by lightening. Days before that we had nursing homes evacuated so my hospital turned into an evacuation centre for high care residents which meant creating makeshift wards.

Back