Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

Thanks guys 🙂

He is much better. Sadly he developed a blood clot while in hospital so he needs treatment for 6 weeks in total.

They send me a daily goodnight. This was last night ❣️😍❣️

A91EFC91-FB25-4D59-B3D5-6103FE7A84BC.jpeg

He is such a chilled out little fellow.

So recently I've been working with a fellow Aussie expat to care for the cats at the pagoda near where I used to live. Over the past six weeks we've been taking them to Animal Rescue Cambodia for treatment, vaccinations and desexing.

We starting giving them (mostly descriptive) names so we can keep track of which cats we are referring to.

We have spayed these girls: Tuxmama (tuxedo cat), Ringo (named because she had ringworm lol), Britney, Motley, Ginger 2 and Ginger 3. I have Britney staying at me for three days because they missed taking out one of her stitches and took it out yesterday and she just needs to be inside to avoid infection.

We have neutered these boys: Twin 1, Nobby (who turned up one day with a nasty infection around his bum so they took care of that as well) and Horse. Horse was already looking kind of sluggish and after his neutering his immune system completely crashed and they ended up having to euthanise him, which was devastating. It's highly likely he had FIV (Cat Aids). Poor Horse :(

We have also had these girls treated: Motley 2 (serious eye infection), and my girl Polly who I saved from starving last year. She lived with me for six months and I got her spayed then. She returned to live at the pagoda in January but lately she has flu, and is looking weak and isn't eating. She's about 11 years old, which for a Cambodian street cat is very old. She's staying at ARC while a decision is made on her future. If she gets strong enough to leave they will find her a foster home to see out her days because she won't survive at the pagoda, and I can't keep her at my place now.

So our work is almost done. The last remaining cats that need desexing are distrusting of humans, so they may or may not get done. Boys: Biff, Twin 2, Wingnut, B&W, and girls: Bettina Bent-tail and CornerCat. We have tried unsuccessfully to get Twin 2 and CornerCat into the baskets. Bettina is feeding a litter at the moment so when her babies are weaned she might trust us enough. She's very protective of them. Gave me a scratch when I took a bowl of water to them yesterday! lol

I feel good that we have done something to reduce the suffering of animals because the kittens almost never survive at the pagoda. Out of 21 a couple of months ago (most of which had been dumped and not born on site) only two survived. Despite myself and some local women feeding them, they get run over, die of cat flu, mistreated by children etc. We can't stop people dumping kittens but we can reduce the number born there and the vaccinations will help keep the adults healthy. So that's something.
Wasn't the cat in Footrot Flats named Horse? A big bruiser of a feline.

Omg

So this happened...

Worst experience of my life, and I’ve been homeless with gastro 😂😂

View attachment 54072

He is such a little fighter, and he is seriously the most chilled baby ever. Thankfully he will hopefully make a full recovery.

Keep him in your prayers. His name is Oliver and he brings my family such love and joy.
I am sure he'll be tickety boo in no time. What was his illness?

Wasn't the cat in Footrot Flats named Horse? A big bruiser of a feline.
It's not a coincidence! Horse was a big, butch bully with similar markings (although ginger and white, not black and white) as the Footrot Flats Horse. Although one of the Animal Rescue volunteers also asked "is it because he's hung like one?" lol. That was reason #2 :D

Poor Horse. From the biggest strongest bully to gone in no time at all. He looked sick after being neutered, and when we took him back, and they injected antibiotics his skin opened up with big deep wounds that looked like Ebola so we had to euthanise him. But I do think he was unwell even when we took him in for desexing. I had joked prior that we'd never get him into a basket, but when we did, it was too easy. So I think he was already in a downward spiral and we didn't realise. RIP Horse.

It's not a coincidence! Horse was a big, butch bully with similar markings (although ginger and white, not black and white) as the Footrot Flats Horse. Although one of the Animal Rescue volunteers also asked "is it because he's hung like one?" lol. That was reason #2 :D

Poor Horse. From the biggest strongest bully to gone in no time at all. He looked sick after being neutered, and when we took him back, and they injected antibiotics his skin opened up with big deep wounds that looked like Ebola so we had to euthanise him. But I do think he was unwell even when we took him in for desexing. I had joked prior that we'd never get him into a basket, but when we did, it was too easy. So I think he was already in a downward spiral and we didn't realise. RIP Horse.
Great minds then in thinking of the association. I did wonder too about the size of...
Hard to tell with cats on that score.
Very sad. Poor lad being so ill and suffering. You have done a good thing in helping to reduce the numbers of feral beasties. What's the canine situation in that regard?

Great minds then in thinking of the association. I did wonder too about the size of...
Hard to tell with cats on that score.
Very sad. Poor lad being so ill and suffering. You have done a good thing in helping to reduce the numbers of feral beasties. What's the canine situation in that regard?
There are a number of dogs at the pagoda I visit, and I have seen monks looking after them on occasion. But I had an altercation one time as I was leaving where one dog started barking and getting aggro, and the next thing I knew there was 5-6 of them all in pack/attack mode just a metre away from me. I was terrified, but stood up for myself as I inched closer and closer to the gates. So I don't go near any of the dogs. I had nightmares and panic attacks when I saw a dog for a while after that. They have never come near me again thankfully (but I never use that particular exit any more, either). It's weird because I used to walk through that way all the time when I lived over that way.

There are a number of dogs at the pagoda I visit, and I have seen monks looking after them on occasion. But I had an altercation one time as I was leaving where one dog started barking and getting aggro, and the next thing I knew there was 5-6 of them all in pack/attack mode just a metre away from me. I was terrified, but stood up for myself as I inched closer and closer to the gates. So I don't go near any of the dogs. I had nightmares and panic attacks when I saw a dog for a while after that. They have never come near me again thankfully (but I never use that particular exit any more, either). It's weird because I used to walk through that way all the time when I lived over that way.
Geeza Lou! Who knows what nasties the dogs were harbouring in their mouths. I can well get your terror. Never look them in the eye. Stick with the cats. A flock of cats in attack mode seems less nasty.

Geeza Lou! Who knows what nasties the dogs were harbouring in their mouths. I can well get your terror. Never look them in the eye. Stick with the cats. A flock of cats in attack mode seems less nasty.
Cat whispering is more my thing.

My ground floor neighbours have five dogs, this is one of them (looking a bit sad in this drab outfit, normally they are much more colourful). I can deal with doggos this size.

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: Tee
A little off the shoulder number. Why's the other one in a cage? Also, look at the nails on that pup.
Yeah I noticed the toenails when I posted this lol. Could use a trim. The five doggos are all small, and they get kept in the cage overnight for their own safety. The people are nice, they also have two cats, plus a third blow-in, which they feed. Also, they sell me beer at a 10% discount.

Yeah I noticed the toenails when I posted this lol. Could use a trim. The five doggos are all small, and they get kept in the cage overnight for their own safety. The people are nice, they also have two cats, plus a third blow-in, which they feed. Also, they sell me beer at a 10% discount.
The nails are freaking me out.

Recently I got a message from a Japanese woman who also checks on the cats at the pagoda. She had found this kitten, all bloated like a balloon. I've never seen anything like it:

Untitled-1.jpg

I went and collected her and took her to Animal Rescue. She was like a big soft fluffy balloon. I didn't want to squeeze too hard!

The vet managed to release the air, which they think had entered her body from an injury to her airway somehow... they named her "Fugu" lol.

Fugu will be ok, but she had already lost her left eye and her right one has very limited vision, so she will have to go to a foster home as she will require special care. Poor baby, but very lucky we found her in time, I guess.

Meanwhile my girl Polly was getting too old and weak to stay at the pagoda, and has been living at ARC for a while now. She's moving to a foster home this week to see out her days so I am very happy for her. I wish I could keep her at my place but unfortunately it's not possible.

So that's my update.

Hello OT’ers

Hope this post finds you all living your best life!

My little family is okay. Sadly little Oliver’s blood clot hasn’t quite gone, while it is smaller, it is still dangerous if it breaks. He is now on his second six week clexane treatment which means injections twice weekly. His Nana (mums mum) has just been diagnosed with breast ca which has infiltrated some lymph nodes. She is having a lumpectomy tomorrow. Breaks my heart for my daughter in law.

My poor old Billy is on his last legs 😭😭😭 He can no longer go for walks and needs to be carried up and down the stairs. He still has quality of life, so that is a great thing.

Shout out to the prayers, Oli and Olis Nan need them ASAP. Oh and say a word for Bill too. Xo

Hello OT’ers

My little family is okay. Sadly little Oliver’s blood clot hasn’t quite gone, while it is smaller, it is still dangerous if it breaks. He is now on his second six week clexane treatment which means injections twice weekly. His Nana (mums mum) has just been diagnosed with breast ca which has infiltrated some lymph nodes. She is having a lumpectomy tomorrow. Breaks my heart for my daughter in law.

My poor old Billy is on his last legs 😭😭😭 He can no longer go for walks and needs to be carried up and down the stairs. He still has quality of life, so that is a great thing.

Shout out to the prayers, Oli and Olis Nan need them ASAP. Oh and say a word for Bill too. Xo

😭😭😭😭😭

Oh that is so terrible to hear. I'm so sorry. Of course sending all my good vibes and well wishes to Oli, Nana and Billy. Xxxxxxx

🙁 I am really sorry to hear all of this. It is heartbreaking. 😔

Hello OT’ers

I don't pray but I shall send warm thoughts and well wishes their way xx Hope you are looking after yourself too. that sounds like a lot to have on.

Back