Skip to main content

Doctor Who

Rhys Ifans is NOT sexy
tanty.gif
But we can't always have sexy Doctors. In fact, speaking as the husband of a fan of Tennant, it would be a good thing not to have a sexy Doctor...

Anyone see the Extras Christmas Special? I guess spoilers below...

Andy takes a TV role in Doctor Who where he plays a space serpent. The scene he's in with The Doctor he's with a female companion wearing a HMS sailor hat and uniform.

Last edited:
Hi Salty. Not sure who Andy is but I can be a bit slow on the uptake.... :)

For Spoilers we have a spoiler tag at BBBA. Put the word "spoiler" without the double quotes inside square brackets. Then the text. Then finish with the same but precede the word "spoiler" with a slash "/" with no double quotes.

But I suspect that most of us here take a peek anyway :D

Spoiler'd.

And on the question you asked - I'll spoiler this as well just in case.

Andy is the name of the main character in Extras. Andy Milman, played by Ricky Gervais. The premise of the show Extras is that he is a film extra striving to be a real actor...over 2 seasons he progresses from being just an extra to being given a sitcom on BBC...which is taken by the network and changed into something completely different to his vision. Like The Office, Gervais has wrapped up the show after 2 seasons with a Christmas special.

So who's watched Voyage of the Damned? I liked it, despite some weak plot areas. The climax was pretty average. Good performance from Kylie though. Loved the new theme music :D

Haven't researched it yet, hoping to today, it wowed Uk
Doctor Who' gets best ratings since 1979
Wednesday, December 26 2007, 19:14 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

Doctor Who managed its best ratings in almost three decades yesterday with its festive special, 'Voyage of the Damned'.

The episode, which starred Kylie Minogue as a waitress on-board a doomed spaceship named 'The Titanic', peaked with a massive 13.8 million viewers and a 55% share of the TV audience.

Overall, Doctor Who averaged 12.2 million viewers across its 70 minutes to rank as the second most-watched programme of Christmas Day.

The figures are the highest achieved by the cult show since 1979. The previous best for the new series was 10.8 million for its 2005 rebirth episode, 'Rose'.

It was entertaining, but not like the two previous christmas specials.

If anything it borrowed too heavily from movies like Titanic and Poseidon Adventure while at the same time rehashing the "Robots of Death" storyline from the Tom Baker era.

Tennant was brilliant as always, but he can only do so much with sub-par storylines

I must have been desperate but recently I read the Poseidon Adventure book. Absolute garbage. Not a proud episode in my life.

Damn work commitments. Tons of unused bandwidth at the moment. Quite a backlog on my "to do" list, a veritable flood, some may say a "bit" of a "torrent" of things to do. VotD included.

One more thing. Very lean times DVD wise with the post Xmas sales. ABC Shop, Myer and DJ's a total waste of time, not just for DW stuff. Anyone seen some good bargains?

So who's watched Voyage of the Damned? I liked it, despite some weak plot areas. The climax was pretty average. Good performance from Kylie though. Loved the new theme music :D
Agree about the music. The episode was not as complex or well written as the previous Christmas specials. There was lots of melodrama, bad lines and kitchen sink weepy moments. I think Russell T was having far too much fun channelling the 30s and 40s.

However, Kylie was surprisingly good and we loved the Liz bits.

The preview for the next season was interesting - lots of Catherine Tate running! Bit different from her own show.

Personally, I can't wait for the season - Catherine Tate is the bomb. Catnip for redheads.

Doctor Who-wise, I got for xmas :

(New) Series 3 boxset
Key To Time boxset
Planet Of Evil DVD
Encyclopedia

Gonna research the xmas episode soon.

Ooooh Key To Time set..........

LOL at the Androids of Tara..... flying speedboats... :)

and poor Kroll I feel sorry for the bugger but Romana did look fetching in red and black

Haven't researched it yet, hoping to today, it wowed Uk
Doctor Who' gets best ratings since 1979
Wednesday, December 26 2007, 19:14 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

Doctor Who managed its best ratings in almost three decades yesterday with its festive special, 'Voyage of the Damned'.

The episode, which starred Kylie Minogue as a waitress on-board a doomed spaceship named 'The Titanic', peaked with a massive 13.8 million viewers and a 55% share of the TV audience.

Overall, Doctor Who averaged 12.2 million viewers across its 70 minutes to rank as the second most-watched programme of Christmas Day.

The figures are the highest achieved by the cult show since 1979. The previous best for the new series was 10.8 million for its 2005 rebirth episode, 'Rose'.
To add to that, it was the second most watched show on Christmas Day (behind EastEnders on 13.9m, now the most watched show of 2007), and is fifth overall in the most watched shows of 2007. Between 8.00 and 8.05 15.23m people were watching BBC One, and as Doctor Who overran by a few minutes, some are saying that was its peak, which is just incredible. Series 4 and Torchwood certainly got the best advertising slot of the last few years.

Was the Torchwood boxset pushed back?

I thought it was set for release around the same time as the DW S3 boxset but it's now listed as being set for release in February.

Yeah I went looking for the Torchwood boxset in the post-xmas sales & was told it had been pushed back.

My spoiler-free review of the xmas episode:

Once again, an episode that makes me both laugh and cry, & confirms to me that Doctor Who is for me the best television show ever.
It doesn't need in-depth analysis, it did exactly what it said on the tin - a lovely festive romp tinged with the usual moments of pathos & some lovely guest appearances, particularly Kylie, Clive Swift, & the actor playing Frame.

The preview trailers for series 4 & Torchwood were geat too.

Does anyone have any handy 'research' for the Christmas episode, I'm so crap at research, help please.

Back