Skip to main content

Doctor Who

Wonder if this'll have any noticeable effect on the show...

Julie Gardner steps down
(Outpost Gallifrey)

According to reports in the The Guardian, executive producer of Doctor Who, Julie Gardner will leave the series in January 2009. Gardner has been one of the driving forces behind the series since its return in 2005 as well as having huge success with other dramas including Life on Mars and Torchwood.

She will be replaced by Piers Wenger, who will take over for the series fifth season, and who will also become head of BBC Wales drama. Wenger, who is 35, recently left his job as head of drama development at Granada, where he worked on the BAFTA and RTS award-winning Housewife 49. Earlier this year he helped set up independent producer Mammoth Screen. He will join the BBC in the new year and spend a 12 month period taking over from Gardner. He said "I'm incredibly excited to be joining BBC Wales, the success of the drama team there has been extraordinary and I look forward to taking the team to even greater heights."

Jane Tranter, head of Fiction at the BBC, paid tribute to Julie Gardner describing her as "one of the most impressive television executives in the UK". She said "Her success over the past four years in BBC Wales drama has been unparalleled and her work on Doctor Who has earned her a place in TV history."

Gardner herself said she had been on the "trip of a lifetime" over the past five years. "I know that when I hand over my sonic screwdriver to Piers for season five of Doctor Who, it will be to someone who loves and understands the show."

Gardner will continue to work on Doctor Who for the next year, overseeing the fourth series, as well as three specials for broadcast in 2009.

Source

Aww, how cute, David Tennant to read a Doc Who themed love poem at Billie Piper's wedding.
http://www.sylvestermccoy.com/doctorwhonews/

And awesome Billy has the reception at her exe's pub or something, she's a cool girl.

Doc Who fans check out the BBC site, click on the advent calendar for lots of goodies - little clips with Kylie and other cool stuff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/advent07/index.shtml

And here for nice pics of Voyage of the Damned etc

http://www.drwho-online.co.uk/news/news.htm

Did you see Moonlight last night, with Sophie Myles (Girl in the Fireplace, and David Tennant's ex); it was a bit cheesey, but has potential - angst ridden love affair & quite sexy leads.

Last edited:
When is the ABC going to start screening some NuWho repeats? And some old Who too?

Bloody hell NZ is running aNuwho marathon for Christmas, doc Who ALL DAY.

What about us ABC, and there is no way I can wait until July for the Chrissie special.

There's a 90-second trailer online now for VOTD. Looks cool :)

[youtubevid]LcqHcXAuhsQ[/youtubevid]

I actually nearly did a wee when they came on telly last night just before Strictly Come Dancing...

I got a little bit distracted by Min, though...every time she came on screen I felt the urge to shout "Kylie!", "It's Kylie!", "THAT'S KYLIE!!". As you do.

What are the ABC advertising VOD?
Does this mean we may get a nice Chrissie doc Who pressie.................please, please ABC.

Aww poo I now see that poster is from England talking about the adds.

Double poo, that uktv site has been shut down and I'm crap at downloading.

What I want for Christmas - Doc Who, and a techie to come and live at my house and do cool techie stuff.

dwmauluy7.jpg

Bloody Darth Maul, I knew he'd be behind it!

I swear, you just can't take a Sith Lord anywhere these days.

We'll get a nice Christmas present.

In July.

Count on the ABC to get it totally wrong. Seems so obvious: get a nice "ratings" boost in non-ratings summer. Give DW fans a Chrissie present. Management at the ABC = brain dead.

A repeat in July would rate just as well. Just ask any DW fan if they'd watch it again as the "prequel" to a new series!

When is the ABC going to start screening some NuWho repeats? And some old Who too?

Bloody hell NZ is running aNuwho marathon for Christmas, doc Who ALL DAY.

What about us ABC, and there is no way I can wait until July for the Chrissie special.

Another whinge from me again. On a roll tonight... Repeats after Xmas would hardly cannibalise precious DVD sales in ABC shops. In fact they'd help sales.

So why not a marathon. If they had half a brain for marketing they could even do a viewer poll. Name the fave episodes from the CE episodes as well as the DT episodes. Tally results and show the best two CE and two DT episodes and the titanic special as the fifth and last.

Christmas evening or boxing day evening. Everyone in bed in my household, TV to myself. Snacks, drinks. Sofa to myself. I'm in DW heaven!

Didn't even think of the dvd sales, I have bought all NuWho and I still want to watch it all repeated in a big fat marathon with loads of old who repeated.
I will have my own private who marathon over the hols - must get the last bit of Torchwood that's all I have missing. But I need that special and Sarah Jane. Damn it there is so much the ABC is not giving us, what about Who confidential, and they could package some of the interviews & guest appearances of the cast and crew that I currently have to watch on utube.

Can't remember if anyone has posted about the advent calendar on the doc who bbc site - a new bit of doc who each day, some clips, some articles, some games, cartoons - cool stuff.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

Last edited:
DJs here in Sydney has a ton of merchandise. Some nice sets with multiple figurines. No Martha - always Rose if an assistant is featured. I liked the Face of Boe best.

The Martha figure is 30 cm tall or thereabouts but I didn't like the look
of it. I did like the TARDIS money box and got one of those.

The set with the Doctor pig man and gold dalek is nice but why did that
Martha figure look horrid....

Saw an ad for the series 3 boxset on UKTV tonight.
I'm getting it for xmas, along with Planet Of Evil & one of the large hardcover books they had in the ABC shop (I was shopping with my mum & she asked me which "Dr Who things" I didn't have. I told her I didn't want the annual or the pop-up style childish type books :p).

Anyone else have a WHO wishlist for xmas?

I bid for a DW calendar for 2008 on eBay but missed out. With postage looking at over $30 :(

Yeah the slogan is not bad. I'm sure with a little effort I could come up with a better Who themed tee-shirt slogan ;)

"Time Lords do it with a sonic screwdriver" for example! :eek:

In better taste: I'd love a tee with Billie Piper on the front and on the back, using a font like a thick paint brush "Bad Wolf". I'd just pay so much for that!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a tee shirt with "The angels have the phone box"
which relates to "Blink"

Ooh I like that site TARDIS shaped USB hub
and R/c daleks

Back