Skip to main content

BBUK returns Sun 8 Oct 2023 (and Celeb BB back in 2024)

IMO did this to himself. Rumour has it that Emma was always the first choice but they wanted Brian involved and he wouldn’t accept hosting BBOTS.
Hadn't heard that rumour. Although nobody would ever admit this I suspect the main reason Emma didn't get it was because she was pregnant and it was due very close to the end of their first series. Indeed not sure if Emma had to bail early from the series.

Huge news if true

ETA: public vote, live feeds on the cards, though “up to six weeks” (42 days) is short, even for a BBUK series, and especially so for a civvy one

Huge news if true

ETA: public vote, live feeds on the cards, though “up to six weeks” (42 days) is short, even for a BBUK series, and especially so for a civvy one
No question Bovingdon will be the new home of BB. The the house I imagine will be purpose built for this revival… ITV only have two stages on site so I can’t imagine they’ll give one up for the house.

Live feeds I’m still not willing to go all in on this rumour. The Telegraph never stated a source and Paul was only suggesting it would be a smart move. ITVX is a major part of ITV’s BB rollout but to what extent hasn’t been spoken about in detail. It really could go either way.

As for the May premiere I think there’s definitely some weight behind this rumour… If BB can’t have its traditional summer slot back then it definitely makes a lot more sense airing in the late spring/early summer than it did late summer/early fall. Having BB bookended by Love Island seems like the prefect strategy.

Assuming they could make the subs pay for it, it would be crazy not to have a live feed. And even if the subs fall short, it's basically a loss leader that still drives buzz and more viewers to the show. BB drives ITVX while ITVX drives BB. Win-win. They'd have to be stupid not to do it.

The more interviews Marcus does the more convinced I am they've not asked him back.

No question Bovingdon will be the new home of BB. The the house I imagine will be purpose built for this revival… ITV only have two stages on site so I can’t imagine they’ll give one up for the house.
Most people have put two and two together to come up with that and if it is a studio based house it will almost certainly be there. However the short nature of the series and the quick turnaround, plus looking at what's happened with revivals in Europe and what ITV do with Love Island, I'm more inclined to believe they'll fit out an existing property with cameras.

The more interviews Marcus does the more convinced I am they've not asked him back.

Most people have put two and two together to come up with that and if it is a studio based house it will almost certainly be there. However the short nature of the series and the quick turnaround, plus looking at what's happened with revivals in Europe and what ITV do with Love Island, I'm more inclined to believe they'll fit out an existing property with cameras.
I suppose that’s a possibility but it could make live evictions difficult. With how reliable the rumours have been so far I’m inclined to believe Bovingdon is where they plan to go. I’m also not so sure they’ll use an existing studio. They’re still accepting rentals of both studios and with only two on site I doubt they’ll surrender that space year round. Also in terms of turn around even if they purpose build this house time really isn’t an issue. The original BBAU house was built within 3 months. We have at least 9 months until the premiere.

I'm sure the BB Spies will be scouring development applications (or UK equivalent) from here on in and will report back in the next month or two. There is heaps of time to build and prepare for a May show.
I can imagine they will be. We knew in February about the planned expansion of the Elstree house for a series that premiered in early June. This being a brand new compound I can’t see them leaving much to change… I think we’ll have some confirmation of the location and the scale fairly soon with construction starting in early January.

ETA: this article says Endemol submitted planning permission for the Elstree house on December 21st, 2001 which was granted just 10 days later on the 31st. The 2002 series launched on May 24th a mere four months after permission was granted.

Last edited:
That was back when the country worked though. Probably take a healthy kickback now to get a decision that quickly.

Very good news. While I do think that the 5 year gaps between series and the amount of positive press the revival has received will bring back in decent initial ratings but realistically not everyone is going to commit to the full series. This revival is going to need time to build back trust and establish a good rapport with it’s audience. My guess is anything above an average of 2.5M will be considered a success.

These are all really encouraging quotes. I particularly like the part that references the show ‘ruining your life’, because that’s exactly what it did to me back in its hey-day. It completely took over my summer in a way that no other show was capable of.

And they are exactly right - there’s a lot of nostalgia involved that will make people tune in to start with, but it’s their job to make a good enough show that will make people stick around.

The shade. I completely disagree with this statement. Channel 4 let go of the show because it needed a rest NOT because the show didn’t still have life in it. Unlike other networks that have revived BB I don’t think ITV needs BB so much as BB needed TPTB at ITV who’ve been so far willing to give the show what it needs to be successful.

They are being very sour about it which makes me think it is better off in ITV's hands. C4 could just never get over the issues around the race row, and 15 years later clearly still haven't. It's clear at ITV the format will be supported and not treated as a burden.

Plus at least ITV2 are investing in new content - most weeks this year E4 have been showing Gogglebox repeats, Naked Attraction repeats and First Dates repeats every weeknight.

They are being very sour about it which makes me think it is better off in ITV's hands. C4 could just never get over the issues around the race row, and 15 years later clearly still haven't. It's clear at ITV the format will be supported and not treated as a burden.

Plus at least ITV2 are investing in new content - most weeks this year E4 have been showing Gogglebox repeats, Naked Attraction repeats and First Dates repeats every weeknight.
The biggest show Channel 4 have at the moment is GBBO. A show they poached from the BBC.

Back