Skip to main content

BBUK returns Sun 8 Oct 2023 (and Celeb BB back in 2024)

I don’t mind them saying that it’s Big Brother for the Love Island Generation. That’s different from saying they are making it for the Love Island audience.

The Love Island generation want a strong social media presence, good production values, free in-app voting, easy to navigate and accessible streaming/ catch-up options.

I do think we’ll maybe only see a spin-off show on a Sunday night, similar to how Aftersun works for Love Island.

There’s a lot they can pull from the way Love Island is made and apply it to BB, without compromising on what makes BB stand out as it’s own individual brand.
This 👆🏻.

So all the BBUK accounts on Twitter are now heavily promoting the theory that somethings going to be announced during the Love Island finale tonight.

I do think we’ll maybe only see a spin-off show on a Sunday night, similar to how Aftersun works for Love Island.
I’ve never watched Aftersun and I wasn’t a huge fan of BBOTTS. If they do an after show in some form I hope it’s more content based rather than spoon fed opinions.

Yes, I'd limit any spin off to once a week and put the main show at the centre of things. An hour long commitment, ideally no more than six nights a week, is more than enough nowadays.

What the show needs is to recapture the original vibe and somehow capture the Love Island audience, which has twice in recent weeks been the highest rated show of the week on any channel - unheard of for a "digital channel" really. I think it'll need to rate higher on ITV2 than it was rating in it's dying years on C5 to be considered a success.

Yes, I'd limit any spin off to once a week and put the main show at the centre of things. An hour long commitment, ideally no more than six nights a week, is more than enough nowadays.

What the show needs is to recapture the original vibe and somehow capture the Love Island audience, which has twice in recent weeks been the highest rated show of the week on any channel - unheard of for a "digital channel" really. I think it'll need to rate higher on ITV2 than it was rating in it's dying years on C5 to be considered a success.
Considering all the positive press the shows received in the past few months and the buzz on Twitter I think they’re going to be off to a decent start. Long term it will be dependant on how well ITV’s vision has translated.

ITV press release. Will only be six weeks and no mention of live feed.

Big Brother is back!

The original reality tv format to launch on ITV2 and ITVX in 2023

The Big Brother house has a brand new home, as the global television phenomenon makes its much anticipated return to UK television and moves onto ITV2 and ITVX from 2023.

A new cast of carefully selected housemates, from all walks of life, will take up residence in the world’s most famous reality TV home for up to six weeks, with cameras capturing their every move, and the nation following every twist and turn.

The action will all play out under the roof of the iconic Big Brother house, which will be given its own contemporary new look ready for this reimagining of the show. Clever tasks, nail-biting nominations and live evictions will be back, with the public once again playing a crucial role, voting throughout the series and ultimately determining the winner, who will walk away with a life changing cash prize.

Produced by Initial (part of Banijay UK) Big Brother first launched on UK screens in 2000.

Big Brother is commissioned for ITV2 and ITVX by Paul Mortimer, Director of Reality Commissioning & Acquisitions and Controller, ITV2, ITVBe & CITV, and Peter Tierney, Commissioning Editor. Its return to UK screens marks the first major Banijay format commission for leading entertainment and format producers Natalka Znak and Claire O’Donohoe since joining the group earlier this year.

Paul Mortimer, Director of Reality Commissioning & Acquisitions and Controller, ITV2, ITVBe and CITV said:

“This refreshed, contemporary new series of Big Brother will contain all the familiar format points that kept viewers engaged and entertained the first time round, but with a brand new look and some additional twists that speak to today’s audience. We’re beyond excited to bring this iconic series to ITV2 and ITVX where it should especially engage with our younger viewers.”

Natalka Znak, CEO of Initial, Remarkable Entertainment and Znak TV added:

“Big Brother is the original and best reality format and one that I have never made before so it’s a huge privilege to be making an all new version with ITV2 and ITVX. Working with Claire O'Donohoe and the talented team at Initial, Katy Manley and Cat Lynch. This is going to be epic!”

Crap eye. Hope they change that.
No doubt it will. It’s early days and ITV’s marketing department probably didn’t have a lot to work with in terms of putting a 20 second advert together. I do wish that BB19 hadn’t gone with the design they did as I think that short of drastic departure would have been perfect for this revival.

ITV press release. Will only be six weeks and no mention of live feed.
Hopefully with the shorter run that means a return to a smaller and more inclusive storytelling. Ideally for a series that short 10 to 12 HM’s is more than enough.

It is a disappointment not to see mention of live feeds, I would have thought that would be a major selling point for ITVX. That said the show still sounds promising.

Glad to see they aren’t pitching the show with the Love Island reference…

I just hope it is 10-12 housemates considering the show, even in the latter C4 years, had a habit of putting in too many housemates at the start, evicting just one a week and then being left with 7 in the final week. At six weeks they should limit it to just 10 - have 4 single evictions and one double and have just 4 in the final week. Suspect though they'll go for at least 12, with an extra double in the final week.

So so so so happy it is back! Hopefully it is successful and can show the Australian broadcasters that Live Big Brother is viable.

I just hope it is 10-12 housemates considering the show, even in the latter C4 years, had a habit of putting in too many housemates at the start, evicting just one a week and then being left with 7 in the final week. At six weeks they should limit it to just 10 - have 4 single evictions and one double and have just 4 in the final week. Suspect though they'll go for at least 12, with an extra double in the final week.
12 really is the maximum with no late entrants. Any more and we’re looking at double evictions becoming the standard, an eviction every 3 to 4 days, or a bunch of evictions backloaded in to the latter weeks.

Damn. The one aspect of the Seven revival of BBAU I was hoping they would do - replace the narrator.
I said it doesn’t ‘look’ promising… There’s a pretty big chance he’s just being optimistic. The report from yesterday said ITV want a clean slate and that none of the previous presenters would be brought back. I would expect the clean state would also include the narrator as well.

It’s back.
I really like this remixed theme. It’s not a drastic departure from the original but definitely better than the 2018 remix. Given that titles are rare these days I don’t expect the series will have a full intro so this theme is the prefect post recap pop.

Last edited:
Back