Skip to main content

BBUK returns Sun 8 Oct 2023 (and Celeb BB back in 2024)

Not sure how I feel about this... Was holding out for a return to Channel 4. This has the potential to be just another repeat of the Channel 5 era.

Would prefer a return to C4 but if ITV do it properly then ITV2 could be a good fit. Crucially if they realise how import the live feeds are to the core concept of the show, and what a selling point that could be to fans for their soon to launch streaming service ITVX, which has "FAST" linear channels at it's core (though if I were them I'd put them behind the premium tier) then it might have a chance.

Would prefer a return to C4 but if ITV do it properly then ITV2 could be a good fit. Crucially if they realise how import the live feeds are to the core concept of the show, and what a selling point that could be to fans for their soon to launch streaming service ITVX, which has "FAST" linear channels at it's core (though if I were them I'd put them behind the premium tier) then it might have a chance.
Without streaming this series is DOA. It is a shame that ITV want to shift the series in to the fall rather than keeping it in the traditional early summer slot.

If something does materialize out of this it will be interesting to see if they follow the BB/CAN/AU route and build the house in a warehouse somewhere or whether they'll go for an actual studio. According to the Elstree studios website the new stages that were build in place of the old house (Now called Platinum Stages) are set to open for bookings in 2022.

Wow, I thought a revival would’ve led with a celeb series, not civvies. The talk about being live/event tv definitely makes me hopeful that they stick to their roots and not go with some bastard AU/CAN/US format.

Wow, I thought a revival would’ve led with a celeb series, not civvies. The talk about being live/event tv definitely makes me hopeful that they stick to their roots and not go with some bastard AU/CAN/US format.
The nice thing about ITV is that they already have a marquee reality show featuring celebrities.

The article also states they’re looking at airing the show after Love Islands summer slot which no doubt will have overlap with I’m a Celebrity. CBB would be too similar for there to be any overlap or for the two shows to air back to back.

ITV seem to have been looking to expand on ITV2’s reality programming for a while now. They tried their hand and failed a Love Island copycat called Survival of the Fittest and plans were to air two series of Love Island in 2020. BB comes with an established brand that they can tailor to appeal to ITV2’s audience.

Last edited:
if itv do take over i would love to see: 24/7 live feed online back to basics house and nominations shopping tasks

If something does materialize out of this it will be interesting to see if they follow the BB/CAN/AU route and build the house in a warehouse somewhere or whether they'll go for an actual studio. According to the Elstree studios website the new stages that were build in place of the old house (Now called Platinum Stages) are set to open for bookings in 2022.

Didn't realise they'd actually got round to building those studios, though the one there could still be an option for a studio built house, along with one of the old George Lucas Stages where you could add a garden round the back.

However the reality is they can't build studios fast enough at the moment to meet the demand - there must be a good 100 or so sound stages even being built or going through planning in and around London at the moment, including at least two major new studio lots in the Elstree area. Therefore hiring a studio on a year round basis to be the Big Brother house may be an expensive option, but then land is expensive too. I think converting a warehouse may be an option, but that is where alot of the studio space is coming from too so we'll see. The other option is just fitting out an existing house as we've seen some recently launched versions too. Either way I am glad though that the old house isn't an option.

The only shit news in that whole article is that supposedly Rylan is on a shortlist to host the show. It was perfect on Channel 5 having him tucked away in the corner doing Bit on the Side and you could easily forget that he was even involved with the show at all.

If this does end up happening, banish him to the history books of BBUK for the love of god... 🙏

Rylan is the only person on the alumni I'd be happy to have back. He's really turned around perception of himself in recent years and I think is genuinely one of the most liked and one of the best presenters around. Just like with Davina leaving Big Brother actually opened doors for him that otherwise would have remained closed, and although at one point he did seem to have shows on the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 he is nowhere near as overexposed as he once was.

Is some talk of him possibly co-hosting with AJ. You remember her from his first year doing Bit on the Side and she was pretty awful and axed after one series. However she's turn it around a bit in the last couple of years and an appearance on Strictly (Dancing with the Stars) and reaching the final, but then getting injured and having to withdraw, has somewhat given her "nations sweetheart" status. She also fronted a one-off revival of The Big Breakfast (the show that gave me my online identity) last year. I was so underwhelmed when she was announced as host but she turned out to be absolutely brilliant and controlled a fairly manic two hour live show with ease.

Whatever happens though please for the love of god don't bring back Marcus. He may be the voice of Big Brother to many but he's an instant turn off to me and thankfully reality TV narration has moved on so much in recent years I don't think he'd be in the frame. I think they'd want someone who is naturally funny instead. Less is more though on the narration.

Even though I find him to have improved immensely since he started I still think Rylan is side show material rather than the main presenter.

Whoever they choose I hope they take the time to find someone who fits the role. The last we need is another Brian.

This took me by surprise - only because it feels like a while since we had a BB revival article.

ITV2 is a good fit for the show, and I guess if the show is on the same channel as Love Island, it puts the ‘rival shows on rival channels’ narrative to bed. ITV2 have been wanting to maximise their Reality TV output for some time now, and they’ve had a few flops and the 2020 winter Love Island seemed to clarify why there shouldn’t be two series’ in one year.

Aside from Love Island, ITV2 doesn’t have ANY shows that are making waves at the moment. The creation of ITVBe meant a lot of popular content is now screened there - Celebrity Juice isn’t the hit it used to be and there’s a real reliance on American animated comedy to fill the schedule.

I’m not sure where celebrity big brother fits into this, which is the version I thought would always be at the forefront of a revival.

I’m not sure where celebrity big brother fits into this, which is the version I thought would always be at the forefront of a revival.
This is probably just a test since paying random civilians an extremely small stipend each week to cover their rent etc is much cheaper compared to what they'd be paying for CBB housemates. If this pays of like they'll be hoping it would, then I'm sure an announcement about CBB wouldn't be too far off.

“It needs the full treatment and they’re confident they are the ones who can return it to its legendary former glory"

This is key as I mentioned in the rewatch thread. BBAU failed mainly on Ch9 due to the lack of proper treatment for the show. Big Brother requires specific effort that needs to be put in to work. It can't be done halfassed. If this is true then I am really excited to potentially see BBUK come back.

“It needs the full treatment and they’re confident they are the ones who can return it to its legendary former glory"

This is key as I mentioned in the rewatch thread. BBAU failed mainly on Ch9 due to the lack of proper treatment for the show. Big Brother requires specific effort that needs to be put in to work. It can't be done halfassed. If this is true then I am really excited to potentially see BBUK come back.
The Channel 9 era of BBAU would have never happened if it weren’t for the Channel 5 revival.

The Channel 9 era of BBAU would have never happened if it weren’t for the Channel 5 revival.
Totally agree. It also seems to been major inspiration for the series would develop. Small things like the set, graphics and logo. As well as the decision to axe the live feed. Had channel 9 at least given the show proper treatment something better would have come from it. If a UK revival is to happen it either needs to be done at 100% or not done at all.

One really interesting factor which might just mean they really do try and take it back to the "glory days" is that ITV's current director of television is Kevin Lygo - the man who bought Big Brother to the UK and oversaw it in the shows early years whilst he had the same position at C4.

Back