Skip to main content

Computer Trouble - USB Ports

Cass0907

Hi guys,

I thought I would take a chance and post here about a computer issue I am having.

I have a Toshiba Satellite U50D which has 2 x 3.0 USB Ports and 1 x 2.0 USB Port.

I recently plugged in my iPhone 5s recently which caused a sort of surge which shut off my laptop right away. Since then both the 3.0 Ports haven't been working. The 2.0 Port is still fine.

I've tried all basic trouble shooting - like uninstalling the drivers and such but nothing seems to be working. Is there any help anyone can give? Or do I need to replace the ports entirely?

Thanks in advance.

I'd probably make a post on Whirlpool for something like this.

Do they still charge devices?
Check device manager and see if they show up.

I don't really know though.

There is a reasonable chance that the USB voltage regulator has been blown as charging an iphone often uses more power than a laptop is designed to provide, particularly if it is also on while charging....or taking a call. if a standard mouse plugged into that port doesn't light up there is a good chance the USB ports are dead and would require new regulators. I would always charge from a wall or desktop supply only.

The whole area is strange as USB 3 spec is to supply 900 mA when a charging iphone is 2+ amps and very few consumers actually look.

I'd probably make a post on Whirlpool for something like this.

Do they still charge devices?
Check device manager and see if they show up.

I don't really know though.

They do charge devices - they just don't show up anywhere or work. Such as a mouse :D

My USB 2.0 Port works for my devices - mostly. It has to be at this strange angle but if I get a USB hub it might work. I just wish the 3.0 ones would work.

There is a reasonable chance that the USB voltage regulator has been blown as charging an iphone often uses more power than a laptop is designed to provide, particularly if it is also on while charging....or taking a call. if a standard mouse plugged into that port doesn't light up there is a good chance the USB ports are dead and would require new regulators. I would always charge from a wall or desktop supply only.

The whole area is strange as USB 3 spec is to supply 900 mA when a charging iphone is 2+ amps and very few consumers actually look.

I wasn't using it to charge - just to connect my iphone to itunes.... it's strange the whole amps thing. I don't understand completely - but stupid of Apple to design a device that they suggest you connect to your computer and then have it not really work with that device. :p

I tested a mouse and light appears but there's no movement from it.

I tried my iPhone and it charges but it doesn't appear anywhere on mycomputer. Same with a portable harddrive.

Stupid thing. I'm so frustrated.

I might just buy a usb hub so I can use the 2.0. I just didn't want to have to do that but at least one usb is working still.

They do charge devices - they just don't show up anywhere or work. Such as a mouse :D

My USB 2.0 Port works for my devices - mostly. It has to be at this strange angle but if I get a USB hub it might work. I just wish the 3.0 ones would work.

Do they show up in device manager?

Do they show up in device manager?
The devices don't show up when I connect them to the USB 3.0 ports. Other than that - the devices I have listed under USB are:

• AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
  • Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
  • Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
  • USB Composite Device
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub (xHCI)

I'm not sure if that's what you meant though ....

The devices don't show up when I connect them to the USB 3.0 ports. Other than that - the devices I have listed under USB are:

• AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
  • USB Composite Device
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub
  • USB Root Hub (xHCI)

I'm not sure if that's what you meant though ....

See if you can re-install drivers in there?

I don't know. If I can't fix it, can't get an answer on a technical forum. If it's under warranty take it back and say one day it stopped working.

There are some options on a BIOS level to check, before you even boot windows. You could try booting direct off a usb key or usb optical drive as they work on the simplest (driverless) format.

I would try using an early windows cd in an external usb drive and set BIOS booting to prefer boot off external media, then see if you get different results between the working usb and the non working ports.

See if you can re-install drivers in there?

I don't know. If I can't fix it, can't get an answer on a technical forum. If it's under warranty take it back and say one day it stopped working.

There are some options on a BIOS level to check, before you even boot windows. You could try booting direct off a usb key or usb optical drive as they work on the simplest (driverless) format.

I would try using an early windows cd in an external usb drive and set BIOS booting to prefer boot off external media, then see if you get different results between the working usb and the non working ports.

I think I've done everything that I am really capable of doing. It's not under warranty unfortunately - it ran out in November - only a couple of weeks before this happened. I'll have to pay to get someone to look at it - I just can't afford it at the moment because I'm only working casually.

I appreciate everyone's advice and help though :) Thanks for trying with me guys.

Back