Skip to main content

CBS to buy network ten.

oddjob

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...y-cbs-to-buy-ten-network-20170827-gy5doc.html

This will be interesting. Ten could potentially have the deepest pockets now. I've been thinking for a long time it was inevitable the US networks would go around their Oz middlemen, but why not buy them out when they're going cheap?

Glad those fascist Murdochs didn't get their grubby hands on it at least.

This could also potentially be a good sign about the return of Big Brother to Ten in the near future as it airs on CBS in the US.

I'm not sure I like the idea of CBS bringing their own streaming service. I know it's not very capitalist but I wouldn't mind a monopoly on streaming. I already have too many streaming accounts!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...y-cbs-to-buy-ten-network-20170827-gy5doc.html

This will be interesting. Ten could potentially have the deepest pockets now. I've been thinking for a long time it was inevitable the US networks would go around their Oz middlemen, but why not buy them out when they're going cheap?

Glad those fascist Murdochs didn't get their grubby hands on it at least.

This could also potentially be a good sign about the return of Big Brother to Ten in the near future as it airs on CBS in the US.

Hopefully this bodes well for the potential return of Big Brother in the near future.

...aw man!... this sounds like fantastic news for the potential return of Big Brother to it's rightful place on Channel 10 doesn't it?... and... do CBS do 24 hour LIVE streaming too?... I'm pretty sure that they do somehow... I always thought that the Live streaming made the show what it was... it would just be so damn brilliant if that happened... but... I really do hope that CBS leaves Australians to make the program choices and to run the show without USA inteference that's all... just as long as they leave Channel 10's reality shows alone too... thanks for starting this thread up Oddjob... you've made my day my friend... cheers.

What would you do taking over 10????

Surely by any kind of logic they would look at 10 history/track record, do an inventory of what they want to keep or toss.
Do an account of strengths & weaknesses.

And i would conclude.....
10 produce the best RTV shows in Australia, and some worldwide, MC they make really high quality RTV, whether it wins audiences or not.
NEWS - 10 are the best of the commercial stations, an hour daily, plus Project wins me, plus some SBS & ABC, I am a news addict, 10 & non commercial are totally different standard from 9/7, crappy 15 minutes of grabs and then all sport.

Local drama - 10 is good at making long term dramas, that end up a bit of a cult

Plus music & youth

The juggling of CBC stuff to pull from other stations will be interesting - Big Bang Theory on both 9 & 7

10's best performing years - are all BB

RE Big Brother....
Les Moonvies (spelling?) is CEO, his wife is that Chen woman who hosts BB
She LOVES BB
I imagine she would LOVE to go international

I expect them to at least try the US version here, BB made 10 mega bucks, this was their glory days
You would be nuts not to give it a cheap go.....the US version survivor style on a budget BB

Just playin'

MvQY71A.jpg

So it seems CBS have won, 10 employees hate you Murdoch.

But will CBS make us pay to view stuff?
They have said they will launch CBS All Access in Australia... maybe they will roll Tenplay into it? Or not.

Star Trek: Discovery will air on All Access in the US but Netflix everywhere else. Not sure how well another paid streaming platform will fare. Didn't Quickflix and Presto both shut down?

I don't know anything about paying for TV, I watch far too much TV already with just free/FTA and some boxsets - I don't want to pay and feed an addiction even more, I might never move.
But I noticed on CBS site they have pay for it stuff

I'm already paying for Stan and Netflix, I don't feel like have to watch a lot on these to make it pretty cheap on a per hour basis. I mean I can spend more on an ordinary lunch than I'd pay for one of them for a month. But I don't know whether I'd pay for a third because I feel like have enough to choose from already, with them, FTA, and a little alt-sourcing. :sneaky:

They have said they will launch CBS All Access in Australia... maybe they will roll Tenplay into it? Or not.

Star Trek: Discovery will air on All Access in the US but Netflix everywhere else. Not sure how well another paid streaming platform will fare. Didn't Quickflix and Presto both shut down?

Tenplay is the worst tv website. I dunno what dumb deals they've done, but it seems they can't/won't stream the ads they show on tv, and I swear there must be someone managing this manually cos it stuffs up all the time. And they don't get enough online ad revenue from anything other than their big shows to pay people to do this, so they just don't show those shows.

Tenplay is the worst tv website. I dunno what dumb deals they've done, but it seems they can't/won't stream the ads they show on tv, and I swear there must be someone managing this manually cos it stuffs up all the time. And they don't get enough online ad revenue from anything other than their big shows to pay people to do this, so they just don't show those shows.
I dunno. I have problems watching the live stream, but so long as I stop and restart it during each ad break it's ok (otherwise it doesn't return to the show after each break).

As for catch up, it actually works. I have had no luck getting Plus7 or 9Now to play catch up shows but the live channels stream ok. I just get the "loading" circle of death when I try and play catch up shows.

Iview is fine for both.

Back