Skip to main content

Botox

Febeheh

This is a pretty weird thing for me to talk about, and I'd appreciate no nasty judgemental comments, but about 2 weeks ago I went and had the big B done. Just on my upper forehead - where it's meant to be used - not on the lower face or anything that can actually make you look freaky. Say what you will about it being superficial or unnatural - but it's improved my confidence big time. I used to keep a hugeass fringe to cover up my far too early for my age worry lines, but amazingly I've already noticed them decline. For the first time in 2 years I actually have a fringe short enough that friends can remember what my eyebrows look like.

The reason I'm making this thread though is because there's one key person I haven't told about it - my boyfriend. We've been together about 9 months or so and the last time I went for an initial consultation I lied and told him I was going to a medical appointment. I ended up buckling and telling him, and he was pretty concerned about why I'd feel the need to get it. 3 weeks later though, I decided it was necessary for me and my self-image and went ahead with it... and when he asked why I was in that area I told him I was job-hunting and I've stuck with the story since. But after telling a couple of friends about it it's starting to feel weird that he doesn't know.

Has anyone here had it done? Would you tell your partner? Or if your partner had it done and kept it from you how bad would that be to you?

I'm getting it done for the first time at the start of Jan. I've already been to the consultation and prepaid for a vial of something or other so I wouldn't chicken out. Although funnily enough that you mention a fringe... I've had a huge urge to get one for the past few weeks but the only reason I'm not is because then it makes the whole point of getting Botox useless.

My husband knows. He thinks I'm a nutter anyway (and is correct) so to him it's just yet another wacky idea I've come up with and he said if it's going to make me happy and as long as I don't come home with a trout pout, he's fine with it. I have a big birthday coming up and family and friends are all meeting up in the Caribbean for it so I just figure I'll let them all think I haven't aged a day since the last time some of them saw me haha.

As for if my partner had it done and didn't tell me... unless it was coming from a shared pool of money I'd be cool with that. Even then I can understand why he wouldn't so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to me if it wasn't going to affect our finances. I just figure life's too short to be unhappy about something that is relatively so small but can make a huge difference in your self-confidence so as long as he did his research and went to someone good, there'd be no judgement from me. :)

The reason I'm making this thread though is because there's one key person I haven't told about it - my boyfriend. We've been together about 9 months or so and the last time I went for an initial consultation I lied and told him I was going to a medical appointment. I ended up buckling and telling him, and he was pretty concerned about why I'd feel the need to get it. 3 weeks later though, I decided it was necessary for me and my self-image and went ahead with it... and when he asked why I was in that area I told him I was job-hunting and I've stuck with the story since. But after telling a couple of friends about it it's starting to feel weird that he doesn't know.

Has anyone here had it done? Would you tell your partner? Or if your partner had it done and kept it from you how bad would that be to you?
there is no reason to tell him.
he is a man. he wont notice anyway ;)

In my experience, straight men just don't get it. It's just another whacky beauty treatment that they will never understand. It's up to you to tell him, but what do you think his reaction would be after the fact?

I get it in my forehead. Not for vanity reasons but after years of staring at a computer screen at work the skin between my eyebrows started to droop and i could keep seeing my eyebrows.

To be honest, not many people have noticed or said anything. I live with one of my brothers and he didn't pick up on it.

It's your body and you don't need to justify your decisions to anyone at all.

Thanks guys! I don't think he'll understand, the last time it was brought up he was definitely more concerned than judgemental but given how fresh the relationship is the last thing I want is to feed him too many of my insecurities. Gotta keep that game going for a little while ;D

Oh and just to mess with everyone a bit, we're actually both guys haha. So the gender stereotypes probably don't entirely factor into this one :).

No judgement here. I personally would not do it, but I also would not get a tat. You do with your own body what you wish.

However, the fact this issue is clearly weighing on your conscience, probably due more to the lying than the botox itself..?
I will just say, if you admitting you had Botox inj's. is a deal breaker for your fella as far as your relationship goes, that's something else. Again, it's YOUR body, it's helped you with your confidence. If you choose to tell him about it.. then he should be happy you've done something positive for yourself, right?

Thanks guys! I don't think he'll understand, the last time it was brought up he was definitely more concerned than judgemental but given how fresh the relationship is the last thing I want is to feed him too many of my insecurities. Gotta keep that game going for a little while ;D

Oh and just to mess with everyone a bit, we're actually both guys haha. So the gender stereotypes probably don't entirely factor into this one :).

Oops sorry for my gender assumptions there. Well I guess some people just don't get it irrespective of gender and sexuality. I do get why, both scientifically from the point of putting toxins in your body as well as not seeing the flaws or wanting you to change. But seriously, it's your body and it's not like it's a permanent modification or anything, so really it shouldn't be a big deal.

However I will say, with anything big or small, it's always best to come from the source and sooner rather than later, you'd hate for him to hear it later from a friend. Then the issue may not be the Botox but the fact you kept it from him.

Oops sorry for my gender assumptions there. Well I guess some people just don't get it irrespective of gender and sexuality. I do get why, both scientifically from the point of putting toxins in your body as well as not seeing the flaws or wanting you to change. But seriously, it's your body and it's not like it's a permanent modification or anything, so really it shouldn't be a big deal.

However I will say, with anything big or small, it's always best to come from the source and sooner rather than later, you'd hate for him to hear it later from a friend. Then the issue may not be the Botox but the fact you kept it from him.
Good point. If you're not going to tell your partner, I would be very selective of who else you tell. Because you wouldn't want him finding out from a mutual friend.

Like I said, it's your body and if it makes you feel more confident/comfortable then do what you want.[DOUBLEPOST=1415577598][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I'm interested to know, are you happy with your botox? I found it a bit weird to get used to for a week or so :)

Cheers for the responses guys :).

Upon refection, I have found myself very close to telling mutual friends while drunk so it is probably better he hear it from me than anyone else. I think ill bite the bullet and tell him after my exams.

@glamourama you know its actually not too bad - if anything i dont think i was given enough. I can still move my eyebrows somewhat it just takes alot more effort to get them to maximal raisedness. But i can still express surprise and all that. If anything in an odd way it has made me feel more relaxed lol - im the kind of person to get flustered and over expressive when shy, and now my face is more inclined to remain calm so its like my attitude shifts to accomodate that. I love it :)

Cheers for the responses guys :).

Upon refection, I have found myself very close to telling mutual friends while drunk so it is probably better he hear it from me than anyone else. I think ill bite the bullet and tell him after my exams.

@glamourama you know its actually not too bad - if anything i dont think i was given enough. I can still move my eyebrows somewhat it just takes alot more effort to get them to maximal raisedness. But i can still express surprise and all that. If anything in an odd way it has made me feel more relaxed lol - im the kind of person to get flustered and over expressive when shy, and now my face is more inclined to remain calm so its like my attitude shifts to accomodate that. I love it :)
Yeah mine was the same. I could still move my eyebrows but it was a bit more effort to move the rest of my forehead. I think I had the perfect amount though. I only told two of my friends and my mum (because she came with me). I nearly gave it away one night at a party though, I was trying to impersonate my friends baby when she scowls but I couldn't do it haha.[DOUBLEPOST=1415584916][/DOUBLEPOST]Just say you gave yourself a present for finishing your exams, botox!

I have been getting botox/fillers for the last 3 years.

The only people that know are you guys, a cosmetic surgery forum, and my injector.

I haven't even told friends. I don't want people focusing on my face looking for difference.

If you go to the right person, your treatment should be subtle. You just look better, not different.

I have had to explain a few bruises over the years, gym/dentist works a treat.

My latest was plumping a couple of lines on my top lip which I blame on my smoking past. Looked like I had been punched! Successfully blamed the dentist, and I am seriously loving the results.

Good luck and tell us how you go!

@Trala thanks for the insight!

I almost blurted it to him today, but ended up getting too scared to. The more I think about it the more I agree with you - I got it done so people wouldn't notice my flaws, the last thing I want is for them to start analysing to spot the difference.

Only catch now is that the bf is meeting my family soon who I haven't seen since before the fix up, I've told them all about it. It's just fingers crossed they all remember I'm not telling the bf and don't make a blab mention of it.

Also - just wanted to thank everyone for being so supportive and just giving your opinions on this at all. It's really made me feel alot happier about it all :)

I don't tell my partner when I pluck my eyebrows, which probably makes a bigger difference to my face than botox would. I've had the odd capillary zapped, I dye my hair, I use all kinds of face creams, I get waxed, manicured, pedicured and pull out nasal hair. Why would I share that information with people that know me? Jeez!

Back