Skip to main content

Big Changes in 2016 for BBUK

Kingston

Canadian Royalty
C5’s Frow promises big changes for Big Brother in 2016
Posted on November 4 2015 at 09:31pm

c5_ben_frow_2015.jpg

Channel 5 boss Ben Frow has vowed to make Big Brother UK “very different” in 2016 after the show suffered its lowest rating summer on record.

The ‘Timebomb’ civilian run achieved an official average of just 1.36million viewers after it was pulled forward three weeks from the show’s typical June launch with little promotion.

The ‘UK vs. USA’-themed Celebrity edition that followed didn’t do much better, with 1.89million viewers – although fans did praise it as one of the best recent series.

Thankfully, the disappointing figures have prompted producers to go back to the drawing board for next year, with Frow promising sweeping changes.

Speaking at Broadcast magazine’s Commissioning Forum event in London today (via @conordignam), C5’s director of programmes said: “Big Brother 2016 is going to be very different to what you’ve seen before. I am going to take a big look at it.”

His comments came after long-time Big Brother executive Denis O’Connor left its senior production team, just months after he was promoted to the role of creative director.

It is unclear whether the tweaks will be implemented in time for January’s Celebrity Big Brother, or held back for the normal version in the summer.

Frow previously made his mark on the show when he joined C5 in 2013 by replacing live show presenter Brian Dowling with Emma Willis, and reintroducing the concept of themes that resulted in the well received ‘Secrets & Lies’ series.

Earlier this year he announced that he had banned ‘Power Trip’ winner Helen Wood from appearing on the show in the future after her controversial return for ‘Timebomb’ resulted in a vicious row with fellow ex-housemate Brian Belo.

Read more: http://www.bbspy.co.uk/cbb17/news/1...-brother-2016-after-low-ratings#ixzz3qe39ez5o

Can it get much worse???

...here's a new concept for you Ben Frown... how about rewinding back to the original essence of the show as it was originally aired in the first ever season?... you know... the original format where they were originally totally cut off from the outside world... no phone calls from family or friends... no total luxury... have them walk into the house and supply them with an 'allen key' and make them assemble their furniture like beds etc from scratch... no more fancy gimmicks... nothing!...

...remember Ben Frown... the show was based on a group of total strangers being thrown together to survive alongside each other until the end... it was basically a study in human behaviour and interaction without too much meddling from Big Brother or anyone else from the outside world wasn't it?... a sort of indoor 'Survivor' type of show from what I remember?... don't allow them to be able to smoke... don't tell them beforehand... just let them know once they go into the house...now wouldn't they go to pieces really quickly with doing that?... you wouldn't have to stir the pot... they would go into meltdown... oh God... who am I kidding?... that will never happen... if I was in charge it would lol!... cheers.

...here's a new concept for you Ben Frown... how about rewinding back to the original essence of the show as it was originally aired in the first ever season?... you know... the original format where they were originally totally cut off from the outside world... no phone calls from family or friends... no total luxury... have them walk into the house and supply them with an 'allen key' and make them assemble their furniture like beds etc from scratch... no more fancy gimmicks... nothing!...

...remember Ben Frown... the show was based on a group of total strangers being thrown together to survive alongside each other until the end... it was basically a study in human behaviour and interaction without too much meddling from Big Brother or anyone else from the outside world wasn't it?... a sort of indoor 'Survivor' type of show from what I remember?... don't allow them to be able to smoke... don't tell them beforehand... just let them know once they go into the house...now wouldn't they go to pieces really quickly with doing that?... you wouldn't have to stir the pot... they would go into meltdown... oh God... who am I kidding?... that will never happen... if I was in charge it would lol!... cheers.
would be so good of they walked in with expectations of it being like recent years but instead it WAS rewound to the original premise...
dreams are free ....

They promise it every year yet every year it gets worse. Trouble for C5 now is they've lost all the goodwill C4 had built up - even if they delivered the most perfect season with perfect housemates and perfect twists I and many other of BBUK's fans just wouldn't be interested.

I'll believe it when I see it.

They always promise changes, and every year it's the fucking same. Last year they had a survey of the public after the spectacular disaster that was BB15, and so I naïvely thought that BB16 would be less of a shitshow - and it was, for about 18 days until the producers decided that the ratings were a disaster (and they were) and that they should aimlessly meddle about with the series until the numbers stabilised or went up. Bad decision. BB16 may have been the worst season yet. It was the same story for BB15 for the first few weeks - a decent enough series (by C5 standards), but eventually destabilized and brought down by an accumulation of poor decisions and excessive meddling.

I'll admit I did enjoy both celebrity series this year. For some reason the celebrity edition is never as awful. I think the shorter running time must allow for better planning, and there being less reason to resort to shitty ideas made out of desperation. And I suppose it's always fun to watch z-lebrities make fools out of themselves...

Unfortunately Channel 5 won't be able to help themselves during the slow burning phase of the series. After turning away so many of BBUK's loyal viewers, the majority of viewers left are only familiar with the recent series and have been conditioned to expect volatile housemates and endless arguments. Most viewers left are only interested in watching the show so they can make a few bitchy quips about the housemates on Twitter and don't have the patience to watch a series unfold and actually get to know the people they are watching on screen anymore. They want material that is loud and attention grabbing, and it needs to happen EVERY SINGLE DAY. Because of this, there is a need to cast increasingly obnoxious people, and a need to meddle constantly to ensure this type of content is generated every day in the house. There's less focus on watching genuine relationships unfold, and so we lose the genuine tension, humour and entertainment that surprises us and compels people to tune in regularly and stay loyal to the format. Housemates are simply there to rip out each other's hair and hopefully grab a few headlines in the process now. That's entertaining for a while, but it gets predictable and boring fast.

Hmmmm. I usually ignore BBUK during the CBB months, so I had no idea Helen Wood had been "banned" from ever showing up again. Woooooooooo!

Sadly I doubt it, but it'll be good to see some much needed changed to the house and eviction set.

The proposed changes can be seen here:
http://www6.hertsmere.gov.uk/online...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=O0ZZ09IFIT000

And when the PDF loads it reveals more than perhaps Endemol wished too:

Current house (plus new garden in colour, eviction studio bottom right)
bb%20pdf%20plan%20old.jpg

New house (in grey) and outdoor eviction set:
bb%20pdf%20plan%20new2.jpg

Last edited:
cool! its quite hard to work out what their doing here... do we reckon its a second house? but i dont get the poiint because it wont be a surprise for anyone after seeing the plans
Like everything they do, they most likely didn't think things through before submitting the plans. ;)

cool! its quite hard to work out what their doing here... do we reckon its a second house? but i dont get the poiint because it wont be a surprise for anyone after seeing the plans
It won't be a surprise for anyone seeing a big new extension as they walk into the house either, but knowing BBUK they'll still try and pass it off as a secret.

Sadly I've little faith in BBUK doing anything innovative or creative anymore - it certain'y won't be anywhere near as effective as the Aussie two house twist back in 2003, something which surprisingly has never really been copied. Several versions may have had two houses but I don't think anywhere else has done the "two into one" idea - most just end up closing one of the houses and moving everyone into the other.

I think if BBUK wanted to try and pull it off they certainly need to have one entrance rather than two. I'd repurpose the eye as the entrance to the house, placing it between the new and old house so walking through it would take you to the corridor linking the two, and then HMs take a left or right turn. The trick though might be patience - build the extension this year but use it (or the original house) for something else, and then a year down the line have the two houses.

These plans are very intriguing... To me it looks like one massive house rather than two which most are speculating... Looking at the plans I can see that they have the entry marked on the existing house structure but that round thing between the sets of stands looks more like a satellite stage... The only place I see a set of stairs is leading in to the expansion... I'm also curious to know what the plan is for the existing garden space... It looks to me like there's potential that the space could be covered...

Back