Skip to main content

Big Brother Voice--- Who makes the decisions?

BBguy411

I'm curious if anyone knows exactly who controls the action BIG BROTHER takes when speaking with a HM. For example, when Tahan and Rohan were doing the ice bath challenge--- and Tohan asked if she could do it alone, BIG BROTHER came on within seconds saying yes.

But, upon looking it up, the voice of BIG BROTHER is done by an actor--- but it appears he's the one making those last minute decisions. I hope I'm making sense. I mean, is he in a room full of producers and he has to get clearance before he comments on a HM's clothing or does he have a general outline on what to say and allowed to "make up" the actual things he says?

I wonder because on the US BB, we don't ever see them talking to someone in the DR. They do speak with a "producer" but who they speak to rotates and our BB works a little different in the DR.

Which, brings me to the point that I love BBAU's DR so much better. There's a sense of an actual BIG BROTHER and they're allowed to think before they speak. On BBUSA, the DR mainly acts as a coaching method and the HM's are sometimes TOLD what to say. I hate it.

The main voice of Big Brother is typically a series producer - they have some authority to make decisions. Also, the daily shows are very edited so the long delays that happened are cut out and don't make it into the broadcasted show.

There is more than one Big Brother voice - I've counted 4 this year. The main one (Leon), the older guy, the kiwi guy, and the "trying not to laugh" guy.

I think there is a typo in your response. Are you saying Leon is a producer? And 4. Not doubting you, I've just only noticed two.

There is Nominations / Evictions / Main Big Brother which Alex is next to him 99% of the time.

There is Task Big Brother, an older gentleman. Which can make decisions.

There is a weekend/fill in Big Brother who is Peter.

im sure each big brother voice actor has a little creative license though,
each has a distinct personality, reacts differently to situations, and the quick wit of some of them couldnt possibly be thought of, verified with a producer, and then said in a decent amount of time (yes i know, edited, blah blah, but not every damn time)

other things would be 100% scripted before-hand though

and no, Leon is not a producer.

great vid of him and his work
[video=youtube;rhjkTe96pxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhjkTe96pxI[/video]

I'm curious if anyone knows exactly who controls the action BIG BROTHER takes when speaking with a HM. For example, when Tahan and Rohan were doing the ice bath challenge--- and Tohan asked if she could do it alone, BIG BROTHER came on within seconds saying yes.

But, upon looking it up, the voice of BIG BROTHER is done by an actor--- but it appears he's the one making those last minute decisions. I hope I'm making sense. I mean, is he in a room full of producers and he has to get clearance before he comments on a HM's clothing or does he have a general outline on what to say and allowed to "make up" the actual things he says?

I wonder because on the US BB, we don't ever see them talking to someone in the DR. They do speak with a "producer" but who they speak to rotates and our BB works a little different in the DR.

Which, brings me to the point that I love BBAU's DR so much better. There's a sense of an actual BIG BROTHER and they're allowed to think before they speak. On BBUSA, the DR mainly acts as a coaching method and the HM's are sometimes TOLD what to say. I hate it.

I'm Australian and have watched every season of our BB (watching season 7 atm again). Once all the news started coming out about the racist things said on this years BBUS i started watching it and i knew before i started watching it that it is a completely different show, in terms of game play but i was a little shocked that there is no actual BIG BROTHER. Also on BBUS the HGs seem to almost be yelling in the DR, i find that kind of annoying and fake.
I've read some of your posts and it looks like we are the opposite of each other lol. This is your first BBAU and my first BBUS, i hope you enjoy the difference and stick around all season.
I remember in the Channel Ten days of BB, BB had no personality like he does now. Like he would never crack jokes like he does now and would only enforce the rules of the house.

Main BB voice, FYI:

484905_444713762252371_1446380799_n.jpg

And I thought the mic was set up in some little cramped soundproof[SUP]**[/SUP] booth

** Soundproof like the nominations chamber :D

There is Nominations / Evictions / Main Big Brother which Alex is next to him 99% of the time.

There is Task Big Brother, an older gentleman. Which can make decisions.

There is a weekend/fill in Big Brother who is Peter.

Who is the kiwi-sounding BB? He isn't heard too often... Even less often than the "trying not to laugh" Big Brother.

im sure each big brother voice actor has a little creative license though,
each has a distinct personality, reacts differently to situations, and the quick wit of some of them couldnt possibly be thought of, verified with a producer, and then said in a decent amount of time (yes i know, edited, blah blah, but not every damn time)

other things would be 100% scripted before-hand though

and no, Leon is not a producer.

great vid of him and his work
[video=youtube;rhjkTe96pxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhjkTe96pxI[/video]

He is very talented. For me without his voice BB wouldn't be BB. I love the real BB's voice :)

Not sure what the name is of whoever makes the decisions but there is definitely someone else in the control room with BB. If you were listening closely last night when Ed did his coin toss and queried BB if the side was Sharon's you can hear someone saying it is before BB replied.

Big Brother today tends to be more humorous, whether it be Leon Murray or whoever. It's not all that often Big Brother comes across as scary these days. I think the scariest Big Brother was when Nick Colquhoun did it.

They do get the tone right more often than not, but still need to watch it during nominations. I like them being funny and sarcastic, but don't like them putting words in the HMs mouths and they have to get the balance right in determining what is and isn't an acceptable nomination.

Back