Skip to main content

Big Brother US Season 2012- Potential ideas?

The10thDoctor

Naturally there is no news abotu next season yet, so this is all just chewing the fat.
Having 12 strangers play from now on will just seem boring.

Ok, some out there ideas...

Big Brother 14: Survivor.

There are 12 former surivor contestants....three of them have to be Rob, Russel, Coach.
Could be funny to see how they take the social game from show and apply it on another.

Of course then we must have Survivor: Big Brother

Two tribes of former BB housemates who were couples, but now are on seperate tribed.

Hmmm..Porche in a bikini on a beach and unwashed..growl

Anything that involves any ex-CBS reality contestant, whether on BB or any other show, is an absolute no. It's the format, not the casting, that needs working on - it's so damn predictable and repetitive and producers need to begin breaking their own rules.

Looking back at BBUK over the first few years all their twists were within the traditional rules - but when producers began breaking their own rules is when the show entered it's most creative phase and Big Brother really was in control. This is what is overdue in BBUSA - they need to think about fake evictions, something as simple as intruders and also create a twist where a HoH could find themselves evicted as a result. It's been far too safe and predictable for far too long.

If Grodner is still in control next year, we can expect the same old stuff. Though I'd like to believe that next year it will go back to all strangers. But the twists and competitions will just be reused versions from the past.

But, I can't BLAME CBS or Grodner for it. With US TV, if it works, they don't tweak it. Big Brother has been getting great ratings the past few seasons, so it's unlikely for them to do anything drastic.

I can't personally stand that and wish they would really shake things up. But I've just come to grin and bear it. Our Big Brother is what it is and I'm at least thankful to still have it on the air (even if it can great extremely frustrating at times).

I must admit I follow neither and though basically they haven't changed the concept I do think The Amazing Race and Survivor have tweaked things more in recent years than BB, introducing "twists" which usually remain as part of the gameplay in future years.

Even though BB13 has gotten mixed reception this year I have actually like it. What you would think would happen has been somewhat opposite because of the Housemates. (Some hardcore BBUSA fans have dubbed this season "The Season of Stupid" because of the Housemates.)

I will admit that Big Brother's Golden Keys were a nice twist and having an evicted HM return has thrown the Vets timelines off of when they think events will happen. Like Jury sequestering, double eviction, etc. They are currently predicting it will happen on Thursday, Sept. 1 but they are unaware that is will occur this Thursday. Using a competition to determine which evicted HM would re-enter was a nice touch better than the box twist of BB9.

What I would like to see would be:
* Be creative with the competitions! Anyone who has watched BB11-now can easily predict what kind of comp will happen.
* Create an outcome where the Veto can not be one by anybody
* Increase the prize to $1 Million but deduct $5,000 for each rule break (BB telling someone to wear microphone, stop singing copyrighted music, etc.)
* Create punishments for rule breaking, actual punishments like taking away makeup, making someone use a megaphone, etc.

All of the above can be easily applied to the format without having to really change the rules. Les should go with the fluxuating prize fund because the HMs could easily save him money for the network.

I have shown clips of BBUK to several BBUSA fans I know that haven't seen any of the international versions. They said that the tasks/twist below they would like to see in BBUSA:

*The first task from BB9 UK which the Housemates were shocked. A lot of hardcore BBUSA fans I know said they should do this one on BBUSA.

*The counting task from BB6 UK, they actually liked hearing BB and how he interacted with them in the DR.

*The bedsit twist from BB5 UK, this one was really liked but a few people said it would mess with the actual game aspect of BBUSA though.

*The House Next Door from BB7 UK, This would require money to be spend to make a small mini-House next to the BB compound but they could adopt this twist in this way:

-Have 9 Housemates enter on premiere night. Have the game start as normal for the first three weeks. Keep 5 Housemates in sequester for the first three weeks. This will mean 14 HMs will be in the House at the end of the season.

-Unknown to the House the person evicted in Week 3 will be fake evicted and sent to the House Next Door. But the game continues as normal in the main House.

-Starting on Friday 3 of the Next Door HMs will be evicted to the main House and Wednesday could be a live show featuring the PoV and the real eviction of a Next Door Housemate.

-Then on Thursday another Housemate will be evicted. This will bring the number of total Housemates in the House to 10 by the end of Week 4 typical for a season with 14 Housemates with a returning HM. This would allow for a final three finale and one double eviction episode.

Now since this would require more airtime than what BBUSA normally does CBS could air special episodes of BB on Monday and Tuesday.

If CBS doesn't want to disrupt their main schedule to accommodate two or three extra episodes of Big Brother then they could use these extras to promote The CW. The CW could actually use the BB episodes to launch two new summer series at this time.

This twist would surely disrupt the game during Week 4 and literally no one would suspect it.

I will admit that Big Brother's Golden Keys were a nice twist and having an evicted HM return has thrown the Vets timelines off of when they think events will happen. Like Jury sequestering, double eviction, etc. They are currently predicting it will happen on Thursday, Sept. 1 but they are unaware that is will occur this Thursday. Using a competition to determine which evicted HM would re-enter was a nice touch better than the box twist of BB9.
It's all same old same old. Yes, they're out by a week - but it's still as predictable as the sun rising every morning. Even "new" twists or old ones slightly modified.

BBUSA is so under developed very basic twists could be done to freshen things up - for example rather than a "fast forward" double eviction episode, have a surprise eviction on the Tuesday. The Veto is all done and dusted on the Monday so Julie could simply interupt the HMs on Tuesday evening and announce the eviction is tonight, not Thursday.

What I would like to see would be:
* Increase the prize to $1 Million but deduct $5,000 for each rule break (BB telling someone to wear microphone, stop singing copyrighted music, etc.)
* Create punishments for rule breaking, actual punishments like taking away makeup, making someone use a megaphone, etc.
I don't think those would work as they're not in the style of BBUSA where no BB exists - and the petty punishments for petty rule breaks are tedious. I guess you could do something for food violations or entering the HoH room without the HoH - and perhaps have a "clock" with the money on with say $10,000 wiped off once the rule is broken - but I do think the better way to do it is start at $1m and wipe off $100,000 when the Veto is used as the Veto has become far too dominant in recent years, so putting a price on using it would really counter balance that.

*The bedsit twist from BB5 UK, this one was really liked but a few people said it would mess with the actual game aspect of BBUSA though.
That is exactly why it needs to be done though - BBUSA needs twists which do mess with the gameplay aspect and really makes the show unpredictable. BBUK really didn't kick into gear until they were willing to break their own rules back in BB5 - and twists seemingly being unfair is what makes them great, as ultimately it should always be a fairly random series of events which gets the houseguests in that situation.

A studio plan here which gives an idea of the space they have to play with (not much!). They could always raise the "front yard" to the second level though so people enter on the balcony and then have some kind of "bedsit" underneath it (the BB bunker!), but it would have no outdoor access (though I guess they could go in the garden when the house is on lockdown as Victor/Michelle did last year).

And as much as the house is long overdue a complete revamp, I think the actual footprint is relatively small, but with clever planning and perhaps moving more things to the second story they could do something I'm sure.

It's all same old same old. Yes, they're out by a week - but it's still as predictable as the sun rising every morning. Even "new" twists or old ones slightly modified.

They really need to depart from the twists they have done, they should look at BB Brazil for some twists. Even though they copy our main twist they have some good ones that they come up with on their own.

BBUSA is so under developed very basic twists could be done to freshen things up - for example rather than a "fast forward" double eviction episode, have a surprise eviction on the Tuesday. The Veto is all done and dusted on the Monday so Julie could simply interupt the HMs on Tuesday evening and announce the eviction is tonight, not Thursday.

They previously did that in BB5-BB7 where one HoH would be determined as normal and on Tuesday a surprise PoV ceremony would take place then the eviction followed by the HoH. The second would reign until Thursday and the PoV comp/ceremony happened live on Thursday. For BB6-BB7 when they had to do two double evictions they did the fast forward week then a double eviction episode.

Since they now have three in the finale one thing they could do is when a double eviction happens change each year how it would happen (fast forward week then fast forward episode) When the Housemates start predicting a fast forward episode switch it to fast forward week.

But the problem with fast forward episodes right now is where CBS moved the second episode from Tuesdays to Wednesdays. In theory they could do it but with the Wednesday/Thursday. But this could also result in the live feeds being blocked for an extended period/pre-recorded footage for After Dark.

I don't think those would work as they're not in the style of BBUSA where no BB exists - and the petty punishments for petty rule breaks are tedious. I guess you could do something for food violations or entering the HoH room without the HoH - and perhaps have a "clock" with the money on with say $10,000 wiped off once the rule is broken - but I do think the better way to do it is start at $1m and wipe off $100,000 when the Veto is used as the Veto has become far too dominant in recent years, so putting a price on using it would really counter balance that.

It can be done, production in recent years have tried to create a somewhat BB character. The easiest way to adopt this twist would be have Julie explain it on launch.

A second way could be when BB starts to ask HMs to put on their mics have the current HoH come to the DR and come out with a note that has to be read to the entire House.

Here are a small list of everyday rule breaks that would occur a $5,000 fine:
*Not wearing a microphone when not in bed, hot tub, pool or showering
*Not going to the Diary Room when asked by BB, if BB asks a second time then a fine is assessed.
*Singing/humming copyrighted music which then blocks out the live feeds
*Talking about a person/event that the network does not have a release for. (In these instances the feed is blocked out)
*Using inappropriate language during live shows
*Eating/drinking a forbidden item while being a Have Not/on a slop restriction (currently this results in an added day of the punishment)
*Talking about production/sequester (again results in the feeds being cut)

Live feed fans do not like it when an HM does something to block out the live feeds beyond the competitions/ceremonies so hardcore fans would welcome this.

And to compensate with the lack of a BB presence here Julie could update the HMs on the status of the prize fund each week and BB could provide a small clip of when HMs are told they have to put on their mic, etc. Or this could be the HoH duty throughout the week to update everyone on how much money they have lost as a result of disobeying BB. Since all the US Housemates are very money centric this would hurt them the most.

Then like in BBAus they could have a series of competitions during the final week in addition to the final HoH so the Housemates can win back some of the prize fund.

Since the second place HM and the public's favorite HM also gets a prize then the 2nd Place prize could be $250,000 with the public prize being $50,000. When money is taken away from the grand prize the secondary prizes also decrease.

That is exactly why it needs to be done though - BBUSA needs twists which do mess with the gameplay aspect and really makes the show unpredictable. BBUK really didn't kick into gear until they were willing to break their own rules back in BB5 - and twists seemingly being unfair is what makes them great, as ultimately it should always be a fairly random series of events which gets the houseguests in that situation.

A studio plan here which gives an idea of the space they have to play with (not much!). They could always raise the "front yard" to the second level though so people enter on the balcony and then have some kind of "bedsit" underneath it (the BB bunker!), but it would have no outdoor access (though I guess they could go in the garden when the house is on lockdown as Victor/Michelle did last year).

And as much as the house is long overdue a complete revamp, I think the actual footprint is relatively small, but with clever planning and perhaps moving more things to the second story they could do something I'm sure.

I agree with that there but I don't think we would get a twist like the bedsit as long as the current format is performing well in the ratings. :(

They previously did that in BB5-BB7 where one HoH would be determined as normal and on Tuesday a surprise PoV ceremony would take place then the eviction followed by the HoH. The second would reign until Thursday and the PoV comp/ceremony happened live on Thursday. For BB6-BB7 when they had to do two double evictions they did the fast forward week then a double eviction episode.
It's ridiculous (and worrying) I remember such things but when they did their double eviction weeks like that they just had a standard eviction on the Thursday then announced the next eviction would be in the episode, and usually recorded it the next day then blocked out the feeds for the weekend until it was broadcast.

It can be done, production in recent years have tried to create a somewhat BB character. The easiest way to adopt this twist would be have Julie explain it on launch.

A second way could be when BB starts to ask HMs to put on their mics have the current HoH come to the DR and come out with a note that has to be read to the entire House.

Here are a small list of everyday rule breaks that would occur a $5,000 fine:
*Not wearing a microphone when not in bed, hot tub, pool or showering
*Not going to the Diary Room when asked by BB, if BB asks a second time then a fine is assessed.
*Singing/humming copyrighted music which then blocks out the live feeds
*Talking about a person/event that the network does not have a release for. (In these instances the feed is blocked out)
*Using inappropriate language during live shows
*Eating/drinking a forbidden item while being a Have Not/on a slop restriction (currently this results in an added day of the punishment)
*Talking about production/sequester (again results in the feeds being cut)
I think though you're forgetting that BBUSA is all about the gameplay and in terms of the TV show much less about the 24/7 aspect - that just acts as the set for the game. Most of those rules are boring little rules in terms of BBUSA and if fines were to be introduced it should be for gameplay infringements like the slop violations. You need to remember the theme of BBUSA is much more about competing with each other than it is living under the control of Big Brother.

It's not even so much the twists that need rejuvenating, it's that the gameplay between challenges is SO centered on alliances that it drags everything else down. It would improve the show immensely if they scrapped the Have/Have Not challenge (or maybe replaced it with Luxury challenges like they occasionally had in the earlier seasons), and did a standard weekly task like all the other versions had instead. They could still keep the HoH and Veto challenges as they are, but giving them something else to do during the day would help enormously.

I don't think it was so much the format itself that didn't work in America that first season, it was more that (1) the house design was SO bad it didn't look remotely real, even by BB house standards and (2) they only held evictions on alternate weeks. Had they done weekly evictions, the show's pacing would have been so much better.

Last edited:
It's not even so much the twists that need rejuvenating, it's that the gameplay between challenges is SO centered on alliances that it drags everything else down. It would improve the show immensely if they scrapped the Have/Have Not challenge (or maybe replaced it with Luxury challenges like they occasionally had in the earlier seasons), and did a standard weekly task like all the other versions had instead. They could still keep the HoH and Veto challenges as they are, but giving them something else to do during the day would help enormously.

I don't think it was so much the format itself that didn't work in America that first season, it was more that (1) the house design was SO bad it didn't look remotely real, even by BB house standards and (2) they only held evictions on alternate weeks. Had they done weekly evictions, the show's pacing would have been so much better.

The first US season used the same format as the original season in The Neatherlands and a similar house design. Paul Romer who helped produce the original was the Executive Producer. I think he thought by trying to recreate the original it would achieve the same success. Virtually no thought went in to tailoring the concept to a US audience. Meanwhile the UK production spent a great deal of time changing what they could to fit the show they wanted to produce.

I think having the immensely popular Survivor along side BB was one of the bigger reasons the show is seen as a failure. Aside from your point about the alternating nominations/evictions I think you've missed the point on this one.

Yes, I agree Kingston. I think what some international observers forget is the BBUSA format has lasted over a decade - the original lasted a year. It has to be an evolution of the format that has worked so well for BBUSA, not a step back to the format that failed for them.

Yes, I agree Kingston. I think what some international observers forget is the BBUSA format has lasted over a decade - the original lasted a year. It has to be an evolution of the format that has worked so well for BBUSA, not a step back to the format that failed for them.

I think by far the best season of the Grodner era was BB8 followed closely by BB10. BB8 was an interesting season because of the way it utilized public voting. While some may not agree with me it showed that with limited power the public can in fact make good decisions. BB10 was relatively twist-less but placed a significant emphasis on casting.

BBUS is an interesting concept to work with because bold moves could isolate core fans who are used to the stagnant format but smart moves can really make an impact. BB8 was a great example of this. America's Player implemented the public vote in such a simple way that it didn't change the core format but it often times played pivotal role. Without it that season would have ended much differently.

I agree that they've played around a lot in recent years with the format in the beginning of the game so I don't see why they can't do the opposite and mix up the end-game.

BB8 is also rumoured to have '50s-game-show levels of producer manipulation, though.

I can see the US version doing the "house divide" twist fairly easily, with Haves on one side and Have Nots on the other, restricting them from the pool and spa. And it's not like they need kitchen access while on slop.

Last edited:
BB8 is also rumoured to have '50s-game-show levels of producer manipulation, though.

I can see the US version doing the "house divide" twist fairly easily, with Haves on one side and Have Nots on the other, restricting them from the pool and spa. And it's not like they need kitchen access while on slop.

Never going to happen.

It wouldn't hurt Big Brother USA to adapt some of the twists used in foreign versions of the show.

Several twists that would require no to little changes to the core format:

- The Battle can replace Have/Have Nots then when the show gets down to six or less they can ditch The Battle and revert to normal Big Brother.

- Third Nominee: In addition to the two nominated for eviction by the HoH have the remaining Housemates nominate a third person to face eviction. This would add a new dimension of game strategy for the Housemates.

- Giving the public a vote each week in the evictions. Similar to how in some of the German seasons where they got to nominate two Housemates for eviction.

- New Double Eviction format: Ties in with the public vote. When there is a double eviction Big Brother can have the Housemates nominate a third person to leave the House in addition to the two Housemates nominated by the HoH. When it comes down to eviction night the Housemate with the most public votes will be evicted. Then the Housemates will vote to evict the second Housemate of the evening. This would give more time to the two evictees allowing for Julie to give them proper interviews.

- Prize fund twist: Each time the Housemates break a rule the producers could take away some of the prize fund. They could up the prize to $1 Million like in Survivor/Amazing Race but $5,000 is deducted for each rule break. Then in the last two weeks they could hold several competitions to regain some of the money.

- Intruders: Keep a few potential Housemates in sequester until Week 3 or 4 then put them into the House. They would get immunity for their first week. This would shake up the social dynamic in the House. The contract the Housemates sign with Big Brother clearly states that intruders are always a possibility.

These are simple, inexpensive twists that can be adopted and don't have the potential to fizzle out within the first week. Just like how Survivor introduced Redemption Island these twists can be rotated in and out after a few seasons causing the show to become unexpected year to year.

It wouldn't hurt Big Brother USA to adapt some of the twists used in foreign versions of the show.

Several twists that would require no to little changes to the core format:

- The Battle can replace Have/Have Nots then when the show gets down to six or less they can ditch The Battle and revert to normal Big Brother.

- Third Nominee: In addition to the two nominated for eviction by the HoH have the remaining Housemates nominate a third person to face eviction. This would add a new dimension of game strategy for the Housemates.

- Giving the public a vote each week in the evictions. Similar to how in some of the German seasons where they got to nominate two Housemates for eviction.

- New Double Eviction format: Ties in with the public vote. When there is a double eviction Big Brother can have the Housemates nominate a third person to leave the House in addition to the two Housemates nominated by the HoH. When it comes down to eviction night the Housemate with the most public votes will be evicted. Then the Housemates will vote to evict the second Housemate of the evening. This would give more time to the two evictees allowing for Julie to give them proper interviews.

- Prize fund twist: Each time the Housemates break a rule the producers could take away some of the prize fund. They could up the prize to $1 Million like in Survivor/Amazing Race but $5,000 is deducted for each rule break. Then in the last two weeks they could hold several competitions to regain some of the money.

- Intruders: Keep a few potential Housemates in sequester until Week 3 or 4 then put them into the House. They would get immunity for their first week. This would shake up the social dynamic in the House. The contract the Housemates sign with Big Brother clearly states that intruders are always a possibility.

These are simple, inexpensive twists that can be adopted and don't have the potential to fizzle out within the first week. Just like how Survivor introduced Redemption Island these twists can be rotated in and out after a few seasons causing the show to become unexpected year to year.

It "wouldn't hurt" but it will never happen... Especially things like a 3rd nominee or implementing any sort of public voting outside an America's player style twist ect... Also intruders are out of the question.

Giving the public a weekly vote (as in one eviction vote in addition to the HM votes) would be stupid as unless they tie they'd never really matter. It's very rare for an eviction vote to be close - they're usually pretty much a landslide. A one off full vote as part of a double eviction twist would be fine, but I think BBUSA viewers would generally prefer the drama that the HoH evicting one HM directly as part of a double eviction would cause.

As I've said numerous times fines for rule breaks just isn't in the BBUSA ethos and would generally be confusing for viewers of the CBS show. The trivial fines in the Aussie version where Big Brother and rule breaks was already a regular fixture were annoying enough as it was. I do think a $1m jackpot which reduces either every time the Veto is used or as part of weekly Jackpot challenges could work though.

Intruders and the Battle scenario can also be incorporated easily in to the US format too.

As for the third nominee - I don't think it would be worth it for BBUSA. For countries adapting the BBUSA rules it is definately worth considering, with the HoH nominating three, the public saving one and the HMs then evicting from the remaining two - then at the final six stage have two nominees and just the public vote. That would be an alternative way of combining the HoH/Viewer vote formats to the Brazilian version where the HoH nominates one person and the HMs choose a second nominee, with the viewers getting the final eviction say.

I think the fact that we can veto (groan) so many decent twists is a huge problem, especially given the show's "Expect the Unexpected" motto. I mean, once you boil it down how many actual twists have we had since the complete format change? There's double eviction weeks, the different Veto powers (including the Coup), prior relationships between players, past players returning to the game, the variations on food/HHN challenges, the "it's a pair/team" openings, public voting, and Pandora's Box. That's pretty much it.

It also doesn't help that the same challenges seem to keep getting reused every season lately with only changes to the "theme". Watching some of the earlier seasons recently, it seemed like there was a lot more originality then than there is now.

Last edited:
It has definately been Big Brother by numbers for a few years now - and will continue to be until Alison evicts herself.

It has definately been Big Brother by numbers for a few years now - and will continue to be until Alison evicts herself.

The next in line would probably be her partner in crime Don Wollman and I doubt things would change under him. Fundamentally the only way anything is going to really change is if it was cancelled and moved to another network with a completely new team at the helm. Even then any significant changes would really only isolate it's core base of loyal followers who are for the most part happy with the status-quo.

Honestly for the most part I could enjoy the consistent format a lot better if they actually cast the show in a different way. I think more than Queen Grodner I'd rather see Robin Kass get the boot.

Back