Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada confirmed for Fall

I will be auditioning!!! I can't wait!

I'm not so keen on seeing a rehashing of the US format but this is the best news I've heard in a while.

ETA: It's being produced by Insight Productions... I'm a little less hopeful now. I haven't really been a fan of their productions in the past. They've produced the majority of Canadian reality imports.

Last edited:
Well for Canada it would make sense to use the American format since it is the one that is widely known. Attempting the original/UK format wouldn't really make sense.

Like if Ireland would launch their own BB it would be universally accepted for them to follow the British format. Same with New Zealand if they had their own version of BB it would be expected for them to use the Australian format and so forth.

Mainstream Canada has only seen the American version on TV so attempting the international format now could turn potential Canadian BB fans that love American BB off. Similar to if Ireland tried the American format it would flop because mainstream Ireland BB fans only really know the UK BB format.

Plus with the way CBS produces Big Brother it is cheaper to do the American version. So Shaw wouldn't have to have a really big budget for BB by utilizing the American format.

View attachment 27292
We have a logo, and a little bit more info - looks like it'll run for 70 days and they'll be "social engagement" opportunities for viewers to interact (so Canada's Choice I suspect!)
http://blogs.dose.ca/2012/05/31/big-brother-canada-shaw-global-slice/
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/1203609--john-brunton-talks-big-brother-canada

That Logo is HORRIBLE!!!

Alucard I was talking about a carbon copy of the US format. IMO I think they should tweek the format so that the two shows are not mirror images of each other.

The French-Canadian version (which I think was done by a different production company) basically followed the US format, though with some tweaks. The HoH was known as the "Number 1" and as well as nominating two people for eviciton they also chose a "Number 2", who was also immune and got to nominate a further person for eviction. The Veto winner would decide any replacement nominee, while as there were three nominees the nominees could vote for evictions, though on three occassions and for the winner the public decided the winner.

I wouldn't be surprised actually if they let the viewers decide the winner if for no other reason than to save on the costs of housing a jury for up to seven weeks.

The French-Canadian version (which I think was done by a different production company) basically followed the US format, though with some tweaks. The HoH was known as the "Number 1" and as well as nominating two people for eviciton they also chose a "Number 2", who was also immune and got to nominate a further person for eviction. The Veto winner would decide any replacement nominee, while as there were three nominees the nominees could vote for evictions, though on three occassions and for the winner the public decided the winner.

I wouldn't be surprised actually if they let the viewers decide the winner if for no other reason than to save on the costs of housing a jury for up to seven weeks.

I would prefer a complete copy of the US format over the one used in Quebec.

Im not certain they would let the public choose the winner. A public vote would turn the majority of viewers off the show.

I for one would be in favor but if that's the case they should have the HoH nominate three people, the public vote to save one HG, and the house votes out one of the remaining two. Voting for the winner starts at the final 4.

I only think they would have the winner decided, whether that's from a top 2 or 3 or perhaps 4 at most. I agree for evictions it's best they stick to the housemates voting in Canada's case.

I only think they would have the winner decided, whether that's from a top 2 or 3 or perhaps 4 at most. I agree for evictions it's best they stick to the housemates voting in Canada's case.

If they are worried about keeping the jury in sequester they might just go back to the BB2-3 format with all the HM's returning in the end to vote for the winner. Overall I don't think the jury has really had that big of an impact on the game at all... In Danielle's case she was affected in the end by the HM's seeing her nasty comments in the DR but in the end there have been cases in later season where the "wrong" person has won. Also because we don't see what goes on in the jury house from week to week who knows what gets talked about before the final vote. At this stage it's really hard to tell what they are going to do... We know it's going to be "based" on the US version but it's hard to tell how closely it will follow that format. Besides the cost of keeping HM's in hiding isn't something that will make or break the bank. Also if they are building their own house it might be possible that they build an area within the compound for sequestered HM's, rather than shipping them off like they do in the US.

Here's an article that talks more about their plans... It sounds more like the show will air early next year or in the spring rather than in the fall like was previously reported.

Big Brother Canada: Producer John Brunton reveals more details

Hot on the heels of announcing the Canadian version of Big Brother coming to Slice, executive producer John Brunton says they’ve already been overwhelmed by hopeful contestants and hosts.

“What’s amazing we’ve just had the most bizarrely aggressive response since that press release went out yesterday,” said Brunton, CEO of Insight Productions.

“I think I’ve had 10 emails already from people that want to host the show, some known and others who have been in the news lately, and we’ve got hundreds of emails from people that want to be in the show,” he says.

“People have been sending photos in. Weird photos. I know Canadians are considered to be shy, but we definitely aren’t seeing that.”

Brunton says the company had its first pre-production meeting about the show on Thursday and are hoping to potentially start shooting early in 2013, with a location somewhere in Toronto.

The key to any reality show is casting and Brunton is looking forward to that.

“The casting is going to be so much fun, because it’s kind of hot mess TV a bit,” he says. “We have experience doing that from our other shows, but this is different from looking for people who can dance or sing.”

They want to cast as wide a net as possible but are still firming up details as to how it might unfold.

Insight Productions is partnering with Endemol, the company that has spread the mammoth franchise around the world. Insight has a long history with bringing and creating reality formats in this country, with credits like Battle of the Blades, Canadian Idol and Canada’s Got Talent, but Brunton says those shows do not compare to the scope of this production.

“This show is a major viewing commitment, three hours a week, but the complications of pulling it off as a production are really exciting to us. It’s new technology, it’s building a house inside a studio that you can shoot in, that people have to live in, that has real plumbing and all that stuff,” he says.

“There’s something really fascinating to us about the format and to us it’s a big, big, big show. It shoots for over 70 days, 24-7, and it never stops.”

BTW I hate how John Brunton makes assumptions about Canadian's like "they are generally shy"... I think that's bullshit and exactly why some of his other imports have been failures... This show will never be successful playing to typical Canadian stereotypes... The notion that Canadian's are "shy" is bullshit, we are just as loud and obnoxious as any other nation. If he truly believes that he's clearly the wrong person for the job.

As someone who's patiently waited for this to happen I am very disappointed to see Insight Productions are behind this...

Back