Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada 9 - begins March 3rd

I won’t get a chance to watch this season live unfortunately so I’ll probably avoid this thread once it begins and try and stay as spoiler free as possible. Life is about to get busy again. :rolleyes:

I’ve just finished BB4 though - and man, what a struggle that season was to get through... and such an infuriating and disappointing ending.

Disappointing outcome for sure... Although I do think it’s one of the better BBCAN series.
Surprisingly, BB2 lived up to the hype for me. I’d rate it as one of my very favourite seasons of any version I’ve seen. The gameplay, contestants and the near perfect way it all played out made for some incredibly satisfying viewing. Really enjoyed it.

I’ve just finished BB4 though - and man, what a struggle that season was to get through... and such an infuriating and disappointing ending.
I rewatched BB1-3 last year but just couldn't bring myself t watch BB4. It's OK, but to be honest the international casting is about all it has going for it.

As for Ethan - right call to replace him, although school kids need to be allowed to make mistakes without having them dragged up years later.

As for Ethan - right call to replace him, although school kids need to be allowed to make mistakes without having them dragged up years later.
The revelations about Ethan went a little beyond simple immaturity. The response from his supporters gives a pretty decent indication that not much of anything had changed.

Kyle on the other hand is also being dragged on Twitter for past problematic behaviours that we could probably say was simply immature.

House pics now up:

As expected the main part is just an update of last year and nicely done IMO. The two main bedrooms are revamped as part of the team twist, but somewhat carry on the theme of last year. The Expedia Room is back, whilst the nomination room is now sponsored by a Canadian lottery company and the Have Not room is a ball pit. The HoH room is unchanged - the one room they really did need to change IMO as last years design is rather uninspiring.

House pics now up:

As expected the main part is just an update of last year and nicely done IMO. The two main bedrooms are revamped as part of the team twist, but somewhat carry on the theme of last year. The Expedia Room is back, whilst the nomination room is now sponsored by a Canadian lottery company and the Have Not room is a ball pit. The HoH room is unchanged - the one room they really did need to change IMO as last years design is rather uninspiring.
Product placement is one thing but BBCAN takes things to an extreme. I have no idea why they slap a sponsor on everything imaginable.

Money I guess. US TV gets alot of flack for product placement but it really is quite subtle, or at least appropriate, compared to many countries. It is slapped all over Big Brother Brasil as well, but the worst seems to be India - not so much for product placement but the graphics and adverts constantly appearing on the screen as if you were visiting a website with no adblocker!

Money I guess. US TV gets alot of flack for product placement but it really is quite subtle, or at least appropriate, compared to many countries. It is slapped all over Big Brother Brasil as well, but the worst seems to be India - not so much for product placement but the graphics and adverts constantly appearing on the screen as if you were visiting a website with no adblocker!
Insight are terrible with product placement/sponsorships. If you’ve watched anything else they’ve produced it’s clear they’ll do anything and accept anything for sponsorship dollars.

I suspect the more invasive the integration the more they can take in for the sponsorship. I also assume that given the more invasive sponsorships started after the hiatus was reversed that they’re the reason the show continued.

Talking of sponsors any news on the prize - $100k in lottery tickets? :D

They really could have done with a sponsor to decorate the HoH - it really is the worst they've done so baffling we now have to put up with it two seasons runnings. Considering they redid the other bedrooms they could have done more here.

Thoughts on the premier: I skipped the vast majority of the intro packages which took up 3/4’s of the episodes content. The teams dynamic works for the premier “week” but unsure if they’ll stick with the current format in the coming episodes. If they’re trying to avoid the more predictable outcomes in the first few weeks having more than two people up makes sense. If they’re going to shoehorn teams in to the traditional format it’s going to be a disaster. It’s disappointing to see that even in the time of COVID Global can’t find enough time in their schedule to give BB a proper prime time premier.

Lets see how the eviction goes although you'd have thought 9 series in they'd have learned not to do a pre-feeds eviction.

It was a solid start but did drag in the middle with the VTs which just weren't as slick as usual. It also felt quite awkward locking the two older less attractive HMs away whilst the younger cooler kids moved in - and baffling why they denied them sound to make their choices. It's not like any game would be talked at that point, and even if it was give the captains the advantage of hearing it. Be interesting to see if they remain captains beyond the first eviction given it was Canada's vote. I did think we were looking at Canada choosing 2 nominees from the 6 and then their captain evicting one of them, but they've not gone down that route.

Also although I'm thankful they've not piped in fake applause the studio segments needed something to lift them a bit more - BBUSA's didn't feel quite as awkward as they did last night. I think another screen on the other side behind Arisa would help make it visually more interesting at least.

Was a shame they abandoned the teams after just two weeks - yes, it limited nominations but that actually was a pro rather than a con. A shame they didn't incorporate it into the Veto too - was pointless having players from a team who couldn't be nominated compete.

That said this weekend, and today especially, it seems to be game on. It'll probably cost the show a strong player this week and next, but it is setting things up nicely for a messy couple of weeks.

Refreshing to see a HoH really play the game, no fucks given, even if it means they'll get the boot next week. Just laying it out straight for once and saying if you save one ally from the block, another will go up, rather than the usual pawn nonsense.

Back