Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020: Promos and teasers (contains spoilers)

Definitely agreed, Gretel would have felt out of place and awkward in this format.

I think Gretel would have adapted okay but I just think a more controlled production (like I assume this is) works better for someone like Sonia. I think Gretel was stronger at live shows.

I don't know about awkward, but I could see her saying some snarky comments over this new format.
I mean awkward as in out of place, I reckon sonia's personality suits this format better, I couldn't see Gretel's personality gelling with it.

I've complied all the BB clips from Sunrise this morning:

Okay, so I only got angry the more and more I watched this. What an absolute MESS and a seriously wasted opportunity to promote the show properly!

I'm about to rant...

What annoyed me most is that these few days leading up to the first episode are Seven's prime opportunity to market the show to a very large number of people, especially a demographic that is currently very dismissive of the programme the moment they hear the words "Big Brother". All you have to do is look at any of the BBAU social channels to see the overwhelmingly negative views held by a vocal miniority towards the franchise and, while I understand this is inevitable in today's world, Seven are not doing themselves any favours in changing people's minds when they pull publicity stunts like the hot mess of 31 minutes they aired on Sunrise this morning. Seven have clearly worked so hard to change the format, wiping as much of the "old" Big Brother away and evidently trying to produce a slightly more polished version, yet they still pandered to the whole "evil" Big Brother concept and the mindless, childish entertainment that people half-expect (and complain about) from the old format. The "punishments" Sam was made to do this morning also somewhat implied that these were the Nomination Challenges, without referring to the larger-scale Basement activities we've seen in the promos. There were even sex jokes made. What is their marketing team thinking?

Why not utilise that crucial airtime this morning to talk about why the show is different this year? Y'know, tell an already largely skeptical crowd why they should watch it, not turn them off before it even starts! Sam Mac should have been told to explain (and almost pitch) the differences of this season compared to what Australia has seen previously, and tell us why this version is going to standout from the rest. Sam Mac should not have been made to do silly gags, dance around the backyard while the studio team all laughed like children, and show-and-tell the exact same stuff that people have already heard a thousand times. I mean, how many times are we going to be told the number of cameras in the house?!

The messaging is also very unclear. One minute they're referring to the game as though it hasn't happened yet, using wording like "none of the HM's know this yet", but then next minute they're discussing what happened after the HM's first arrived. It's confusing. Why not reiterate that it's pre-recorded? It's not like people don't know. Be transparent. And be consistent.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, we are the first country in the world to adopt a brand new structure of Big Brother after so many years playing with another. Almost nothing about Seven's show is the same, which is fantastic, but they are still not doing much to separate it from previous years and help transition the typical Australian viewer into understanding this without completely jarring them.

There is truly so much potential in this version but the opportunities to attract viewers, ratings and ultimately change the many preconceived ideas about this show are just continuously being lost!!

/end rant
the Theorist is back

Okay, so I only got angry the more and more I watched this. What an absolute MESS and a seriously wasted opportunity to promote the show properly!

I'm about to rant...

What annoyed me most is that these few days leading up to the first episode are Seven's prime opportunity to market the show to a very large number of people, especially a demographic that is currently very dismissive of the programme the moment they hear the words "Big Brother". All you have to do is look at any of the BBAU social channels to see the overwhelmingly negative views held by a vocal miniority towards the franchise and, while I understand this is inevitable in today's world, Seven are not doing themselves any favours in changing people's minds when they pull publicity stunts like the hot mess of 31 minutes they aired on Sunrise this morning. Seven have clearly worked so hard to change the format, wiping as much of the "old" Big Brother away and evidently trying to produce a slightly more polished version, yet they still pandered to the whole "evil" Big Brother concept and the mindless, childish entertainment that people half-expect (and complain about) from the old format. The "punishments" Sam was made to do this morning also somewhat implied that these were the Nomination Challenges, without referring to the larger-scale Basement activities we've seen in the promos. There were even sex jokes made. What is their marketing team thinking?

Why not utilise that crucial airtime this morning to talk about why the show is different this year? Y'know, tell an already largely skeptical crowd why they should watch it, not turn them off before it even starts! Sam Mac should have been told to explain (and almost pitch) the differences of this season compared to what Australia has seen previously, and tell us why this version is going to standout from the rest. Sam Mac should not have been made to do silly gags, dance around the backyard while the studio team all laughed like children, and show-and-tell the exact same stuff that people have already heard a thousand times. I mean, how many times are we going to be told the number of cameras in the house?!

The messaging is also very unclear. One minute they're referring to the game as though it hasn't happened yet, using wording like "none of the HM's know this yet", but then next minute they're discussing what happened after the HM's first arrived. It's confusing. Why not reiterate that it's pre-recorded? It's not like people don't know. Be transparent. And be consistent.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, we are the first country in the world to adopt a brand new structure of Big Brother after so many years playing with another. Almost nothing about Seven's show is the same, which is fantastic, but they are still not doing much to separate it from previous years and help transition the typical Australian viewer into understanding this without completely jarring them.

There is truly so much potential in this version but the opportunities to attract viewers, ratings and ultimately change the many preconceived ideas about this show are just continuously being lost!!

/end rant
the Theorist is back
There he is haha!
I have to admit that I don’t watch sunrise, but I’m guessing this is more of a segment akin to what they usually do to Sam Mac with some cross promotion for big brother as opposed to being a more overt BB promo.

There he is haha!
I have to admit that I don’t watch sunrise, but I’m guessing this is more of a segment akin to what they usually do to Sam Mac with some cross promotion for big brother as opposed to being a more overt BB promo.
Same thing. You’re still promoting the brand and launch of the new series. There was nothing in that segment to win over or entice new viewers, which is what their publicity team should be aiming to achieve.

They could’ve been talking about another Nine era season and the average viewer would be none the wiser.

Last edited:

I'm about to rant...

/end rant
the Theorist is back

Sunrise has an audience which would want something more light hearted in the morning which is why they probably didn't go into so much detail.

I think the biggest problem with the new format is that they haven't adapted it because the US format is actually pretty decent and worth a go in Australia, they're using it because they've opted to cut corners and pre-record the show and needed a mechanism for the eviction process where viewers were not concerned, but have gone for a pretty half hearted approach to adapting it.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with the new format is that they haven't adapted it because the US format is actually pretty decent and worth a go in the US, they're using it because they've opted to cut corners and pre-record the show and needed a mechanism for the eviction process where viewers were not concerned, but have gone for a pretty half hearted approach to adapting it.
@Brekkie
As stated, I have no knowledge of overseas bb productions outside oz.
Do they pander for more dramatic, less subtle fluid interactions in US production?
I ask cos it seems to be the case when you compare Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares US vs Uk.
Like the yanks need Michael Bay explosion production values and flash and bang constantly.

@Brekkie
As stated, I have no knowledge of overseas bb productions outside oz.
Do they pander for more dramatic, less subtle fluid interactions in US production?
I ask cos it seems to be the case when you compare Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares US vs Uk.
Like the yanks need Michael Bay explosion production values and flash and bang constantly.
All US reality shows suffer from being edited like US reality shows, though the quick turnaround probably means Big Brother slightly less so, though they generally can't go more than a few seconds without cutting to the diary room for someone to tell you what is going on in the scene you're trying to watch.

Australian Survivor though gives me hope - same basic format as the US one, but I find it a much easier watch thanks to the way it is edited. They generally give scenes time to breathe, so hopefully it's the same with Big Brother.

Looking at all the promos we've been given, I don't think the show is going to be heavily focused on strategy and talk around it. It seems to be more focusing on house tasks and challenges. It's starting to make me think they never really had a strong interest in the american format and only adopted it as a way to pre record and have control over what gets aired. Had they had a full interest in the format, i think they would have adopted the veto, however they didn't so the show isn't heavily strategy based and they have time to focus on challenges and housemates. Their way of targeting a younger demo must be through the challenges as people have said, but I still question why they casted with a higher age bracket if they wanted to do this.

They might not have adopted the veto because they thought it might be too confusing for the audience? Like big brother has gone through these massive changes already, so introducing a veto might be a step too far.

True but then again viewers have been shown similar in previous series;
The 3 point twist in 2005-2006
The save & replace twist in 2007 and then again in 2013 so even young viewers would understand.

They might not have adopted the veto because they thought it might be too confusing for the audience? Like big brother has gone through these massive changes already, so introducing a veto might be a step too far.

The veto is NOT complicated. If anything starting simple gives any future series room to grow and adapt on it’s on merits.

The American format is often too constrained by convention and fundamental rules to actually be able to introduce creative twists. If production were at all interested in carrying this series forward it’s no wonder they’ve left open opportunity down the line.

The veto is NOT complicated. If anything starting simple gives any future series room to grow and adapt on it’s on merits.

The American format is often too constrained by convention and fundamental rules to actually be able to introduce creative twists. If production were at all interested in carrying this series forward it’s no wonder they’ve left open opportunity down the line.

It might be complicated for the seven audience.

Back